Post Likes

Loud HVAC Selenoid

I am an apartment dweller, not equipment owner, so I'm posting here as per instructions. Actually, there was no "other" when registering, so nothing fits me correctly.

I live in a large apartment complex run by people who apparently don't have many scruples. I complained about the HVAC making a "thump" when shutting off - something in the system flexes with the air pressure and then flexes back, and instead, against my request, they replaced the selenoid with one that makes a terribly loud slamming noise. The sound is like that of a hammer striking a car hood.

Obviously, I am not on good terms with them, so I'm wondering what they might have done, or had the contractor do (they used a local HVAC contractor). The contractor gave me a bogus disclaimer that new selenoids were much noiser, which I don't believe. I have a fair bit of mechanical knowledge and ability - for example I do most of the maintainance on my own car.

The apartment is around 700 sqft, and the unit is one that sits above the bathtub and has a squirrel cage air circulator (I believe 1/8 hp). The old seneloid was dead silent and worked fine.

Did the contractor remove a rubber shock pad from the selenoid, reverse some part, etc? Anyone have an idea? As I say, I've removed the access panel before to inspect it and diagnose a separate malfunction with the heat (unit heats via water from water heater).

Post Likes
    Fred5000
    I believe you just desribed a bathroom exhaust fan. An exhaust fan is an HVAC thing. By your description it is working. With respect to noise, this is purely subjective and can be assesed diferently by each person. What is objectionable by you maybe acceptable to another or within the design specification of the manufacturer. Why do you believe the "thing" is not working correctly or that the contractor is somehow not telling you the truth.

I'm sorry this bothers you, you could just leave it running then it would not thump when it turns off.

This should have gone in the AOP section.

Good Luck

3. Dislikes Fred5000 disliked this post
    Post Likes
    He may have installed a contactor instead of a solenoid. Contactors can be loud, they are regularly used in the outdoor unit.

Please ask the moderators to move your post to the Ask Our Pros forum.
    Click on the black triangle at the bottom of your post to make the request.
    AOP Rules: Rules For Equipment Owners.

Free online load calculator: http://www.loadcalc.net/

There = not here. Their = possessive pronoun. They're = they are
    It's = contraction of it is. Its = the possessive form of it
    Too = also. To = expressing motion. Two = 2
    Then = after that, next. Than = indicates a comparison.
    Questions should end with a question mark "?" Statements end with a period "."

Post Likes
    Moved to AOP.

Pro ably replaced a relay with a contactor.
    Contractor locator map

How-to-apply-for-Professional

How many times must one fix something before it is fixed?

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by Answer-Man View Post
    Fred5000
    I believe you just desribed a bathroom exhaust fan.
    A bathroom exhaust fan??? Seriously? You think I can't tell the exhaust fan, operated by a switch on the wall, from an air conditioner blower? I'm not amused if that was your attempt at humor.

Post Likes
    OK, I'll look into whether it's a contactor, and whether the HVAC company knows its employees are installing them inside apartment units.

Post Likes
    Would someone enlighten me as to what kind of AC unit sits above a bathtub? I cant picture something that needs to be installed in a bathroom that cools an entire apartment. Is it an evaporative cooler?

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by HVAC_Marc View Post
    Would someone enlighten me as to what kind of AC unit sits above a bathtub? I cant picture something that needs to be installed in a bathroom that cools an entire apartment. Is it an evaporative cooler?

https://www.firstco.com/#/productCat...?ProductId=835

They're common in apartment complexes.
    Contractor locator map

How-to-apply-for-Professional

How many times must one fix something before it is fixed?

10. Likes HVAC_Marc liked this post
    Post Likes
    Thanks