+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Reality Check

Post Likes

Reality Check

After reviewing some other recent threads, I worried about the quality of my jobs. Maybe mine are flawed and I am oblivious?

So here's a boiler and HWT replacement. Different jobs, just too lazy for multiple threads. All gas, plumbing and wiring by me, only I am to blame. We do AC as well but those pics are boring, it's pretty hard to FU a minisplit or furnace install

All work inspected, permitted, insured, warrantied....

I have never done a job that I'm 100% happy with. Never! These are no different, but I'll let you guys pick the flaws.

Sent from my SM-A520W using Tapatalk

2. Likes HVAC_Marc, rjk_cmh, BBeerme, Jettinvr6sc, thekux liked this post.
    Post Likes
    Really? Couldn't even put your ladder away.

Nice work. Some others could get some pointers.

Sent from my SM-N910W8 using Tapatalk

4. Likes HVAC_Marc, Lahrs liked this post.
    Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by BALloyd View Post
    Really? Couldn't even put your ladder away.

Nice work. Some others could get some pointers.

Sent from my SM-N910W8 using Tapatalk
    Lol, that was the before pic, I did sweep up after

Post Likes
    You hack! The right side boiler has an extra sticker! wtf!!

Nest is POO!!

7. Likes Lahrs liked this post.
    Post Likes
    Yeah, but the manifold pressure is right, I can tell by how high the flames are
    Quote Originally Posted by HVAC_Marc View Post
    You hack! The right side boiler has an extra sticker! wtf!!

9. Likes HVAC_Marc liked this post.
    Post Likes
    and putting your hands on the flue pipe, right? or did you just count the burner holes?

Nest is POO!!

11. Likes Lahrs liked this post.
    Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by HVAC_Marc View Post
    and putting your hands on the flue pipe, right? or did you just count the burner holes?

You've heard of beer can cold... Let me introduce you to Tim Hortons coffee hot!

13. Likes HVAC_Marc, BALloyd, JeffWil liked this post.
    Post Likes
    the only problem i saw was the first picture the pipeing for the pressure relife valve at least in my state must be copper and termanate no less then 6 inchies from the floor or 2 inches from a floor drain.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by pctech View Post
    the only problem i saw was the first picture the pipeing for the pressure relife valve at least in my state must be copper and termanate no less then 6 inchies from the floor or 2 inches from a floor drain.
    You are right about that first pic. Here the pipe has to be rated for 99C, which PVC isn't. That old tank was taken out and replaced by the 2 in the next pic.

Post Likes
    After reading some recent posts on the wall of pride, you have restored my faith in our industry. I love seeing work like this. There might be some improvements that can be made, but you can tell at first glance that the craftsman who did this job really cares about his work.
    If God didn't want us to eat animals... He wouldn't have made them out of MEAT.

17. Likes Lahrs, HVAC_Marc liked this post.
    Post Likes
    Uh oh... You didn't install the arrows on the inside of the pipe so the water knows which way to flow!

19. Likes BALloyd, JeffWil liked this post.
    Post Likes
    I haven't done install work for many years, but this was typically the way I always felt. I even get that same feeling on some of the more difficult repairs that I do. Said another way, I am my own worst critic.

Nice work by the way!

Quote Originally Posted by Lahrs View Post
    After reviewing some other recent threads, I worried about the quality of my jobs. Maybe mine are flawed and I am oblivious?

So here's a boiler and HWT replacement. Different jobs, just too lazy for multiple threads. All gas, plumbing and wiring by me, only I am to blame. We do AC as well but those pics are boring, it's pretty hard to FU a minisplit or furnace install

All work inspected, permitted, insured, warrantied....

I have never done a job that I'm 100% happy with.
    Never! These are no different, but I'll let you guys pick the flaws.
    I do a triple evac with nitro to remove non condensables.

21. Likes Lahrs liked this post.
    Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by GenesisRefrig View Post
    After reading some recent posts on the wall of pride, you have restored my faith in our industry. I love seeing work like this. There might be some improvements that can be made, but you can tell at first glance that the craftsman who did this job really cares about his work.
    The guys that really know what they are doing are less likely to post pictures because it is their self critical nature that drives them to be better.

23. Likes Lahrs, Baloo2327 liked this post.
    Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by rjk_cmh View Post
    Uh oh... You didn't install the arrows on the inside of the pipe so the water knows which way to flow!
    The arrows are there, you just can't see them

You raise a good point though, I will start labelling my pipework more.

Post Likes
    Your work is beautiful!

Why have you sealed the joints of the vent pipes with high temperature silicone. Doesn’t the draft system leak lots of air anyway?
    https://www.hvac20.com/ High efficiency equipment alone does not provide home comfort and efficiency. HVAC2.0 is a process for finding the real needs of the house and the occupants. Offer the customer a menu of work to address their problems and give them a probability of success.

Find contractors with specialized training in combustion analysis, residential system performance, air flow, and duct optimization https://www.myhomecomfort.org/

Post Likes
    That's my least favourite part of the job! I cringe every time I look at it.

I saw it on someone else's job and thought it looked good, but mine just looks terrible. It's totally unnecessary and I won't be doing it again!
    Quote Originally Posted by kdean1 View Post
    Your work is beautiful!

Why have you sealed the joints of the vent pipes with high temperature silicone. Doesn’t the draft system leak lots of air anyway?

27. Likes kdean1 liked this post.
    Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by Lahrs View Post
    That's my least favourite part of the job! I cringe every time I look at it.

I saw it on someone else's job and thought it looked good, but mine just looks terrible. It's totally unnecessary and I won't be doing it again!

At least it wasn't duct taped.
    https://www.hvac20.com/ High efficiency equipment alone does not provide home comfort and efficiency. HVAC2.0 is a process for finding the real needs of the house and the occupants. Offer the customer a menu of work to address their problems and give them a probability of success.

Find contractors with specialized training in combustion analysis, residential system performance, air flow, and duct optimization https://www.myhomecomfort.org/

29. Likes Lahrs, JeffWil liked this post.
+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in