+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: What the heck is with the Amazon pop-up on this site?

Post Likes
    Turned off “script” on my iPad, that seems to be working for now.
    "The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing" Socrates

Post Likes
    I had it pop up for the 1st time today. Galaxy Note 8 using Chrome as my browser.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by mgenius33 View Post
    Turned off “script” on my iPad, that seems to be working for now.
    Where do you find that? I could dig around till I find it but it will be easier and faster to just ask.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by BNME8EZ View Post
    Where do you find that? I could dig around till I find it but it will be easier and faster to just ask.
    Go to:
    Settings-
    Safari-
    Advanced-
    click the Java Script slide bar to off
    "The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing" Socrates

Post Likes
    Thanks I checked it and it was off and I am still getting the Amazon pop up. I also noticed while I was in there that the pop up blocker was on.

Post Likes
    Search around for deleting browser cache. My guess is the nasty script is cached locally and so it’s still there when you re-visit the website.

I have also found good luck so far by installing and using a high rated ad blocker app after deleting cache and restarting safari or chrome on the tablet and phone.

This trashy annoying ad technique has been popping up in various public forum sites via an ad stream. It’s designed to get clicks even if they’re black hat and unwanted by the user. Somebody is getting paid for clicks and so they target busy active sites with this crap. Has nothing to do with Amazon / it has to do with the hand-off between hosts that show and track various ads getting a bad hombre and going unnoticed til complaints finally reach the real owner. It’s hard to track down because there are so many ads and advertisers and they are constantly changing sometimes quite randomly.

Anyway, the screen shots don’t help much, what really helps is capturing the exact url string which discloses the true owner of the infected host to the ad system owner. This is beyond most casual users capabilities unless you are a web developer and have development tools active in your browser at the time. We may have to put together a hacker huntin’ party and see if we can flush these turkey’s at some point.

Poodle Head Mikey is offline Membership Chair/ARP Committee / Professional Member*
    I try to stay as far away from myself as I can.
    Post Likes
    I was but I switched to duckduckgo for a browser and all has been well ever since. I never use a cell phone here.

PHM
    ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Robb M. View Post
    Is anybody experiencing these on anything but an iPad? Screenshots would be very helpful.
    Are you using desktop or the mobile theme when these ads appear?
    PHM
    --------

When faced with the choice between changing one's mind, and proving that there is no need to do so, most tend to get busy on the proof.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by KeyResults View Post
    Search around for deleting browser cache. My guess is the nasty script is cached locally and so it’s still there when you re-visit the website.

I have also found good luck so far by installing and using a high rated ad blocker app after deleting cache and restarting safari or chrome on the tablet and phone.

This trashy annoying ad technique has been popping up in various public forum sites via an ad stream. It’s designed to get clicks even if they’re black hat and unwanted by the user. Somebody is getting paid for clicks and so they target busy active sites with this crap. Has nothing to do with Amazon / it has to do with the hand-off between hosts that show and track various ads getting a bad hombre and going unnoticed til complaints finally reach the real owner. It’s hard to track down because there are so many ads and advertisers and they are constantly changing sometimes quite randomly.

Anyway, the screen shots don’t help much, what really helps is capturing the exact url string which discloses the true owner of the infected host to the ad system owner. This is beyond most casual users capabilities unless you are a web developer and have development tools active in your browser at the time. We may have to put together a hacker huntin’ party and see if we can flush these turkey’s at some point.
    If we catch him, assuming a "him" can we castrate him using 2 oz ball bearings dropped from 10' at 2 minute intervals?

9. Likes kdean1 liked this post.
    Post Likes
    Here's a new pop up that I'm getting on my Android.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Post Likes
    hi everyone,

really sorry that these amazon pop-ups have returned. as some have pointed out, this is not something we've authorized to happen. Unfortunately some advertisers are not playing by the rules. I've sent a ticket in to the ad team requesting they investigate ASAP, but in the meantime I can suggest a couple of options.

If you're an iOS user, i'd like to suggest this free ad blocker called 1blocker, it will prevent them from happening.
    https://itunes.apple.com/app/id1365531024

I don't have an exact solution for Android, but here is a link to '7 of the best':
    https://getandroidstuff.com/ad-block...oid-best-apps/

cheers,
    robb

12. Likes HVAC_Marc liked this post.
    Post Likes
    I just had this issue and found a solution before stumbling across this thread.

Nothing I found online stopped it on chrome.

My fix was download “adblocker” from apple and using safari to navigate HVAC talk. Hasn’t been an issue since. Occasionally I forget and open with chrome and it reappears immediately.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in