Page 9 of 12 FirstFirst ... 23456789101112 LastLast
    Post Likes
    I’m currently on vacation and following these threads as entertainment. I feel like it’s a guilty pleasure. Like one of the “reality” tv shows on discovery or history channel I sometimes watch. I’m trying to figure out if thekux is real, or staged for our entertainment.
    Either way just like reality t.v. it’s still amusing.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by davidadavis View Post
    Even if the newer codes were being enforced? Considering how many fires are started by clothes and crap against flues I would have thought they would have adjusted to require double wall.

I do know 100% that in attics, walls, and closed off spaces are required to be double wall in the 2006 code. Although I am not really sure why I am bothering to learn about this.. better than watching tv I suppose.

G2427.7.6 (503.7.6) Installation.Single-wall metal pipe shall not originate in any unoccupied attic or concealed space and shall not pass through any attic, inside wall, concealed space, or floor.
    "I do know 100% that in attics, walls, and closed off spaces are required to be double wall in the 2006 code. Although I am not really sure why I am bothering to learn about this.. better than watching tv I suppose.

G2427.7.6 (503.7.6) Installation.Single-wall metal pipe shall not originate in any unoccupied attic or concealed space and shall not pass through any attic, inside wall, concealed space, or floor. "

Absolutely, ... But within the Conditioned Space, & as long as it does not present a Hazard, ... Single wall Flue pipe is permitted Davida. In Fact, I've done this hundreds of times, & It Passed the Mechanical Inspectors Inspection.

But shortly prior to, entering an Attic, Knee-wall, etc., ... It Absolutely has to be transitioned in to B-vent.

Matter of Fact, the same applies to Wood/ Coal burning devices except in that case it has to transition to Triple -wall or equivalent.
    Hos 4:6 My people are destroyed for lack of knowledge. Because you have rejected knowledge, I will also reject you, that you may be no priest to me. Because you have forgotten your God’s law, I will also forget your children.

"You've got to Stand for Something or You'll fall for anything" (A. Tippin)

Mat_15:24 But he answered, “I wasn’t sent to anyone but the lost sheep of the house of Israel.”

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by thekux View Post
    The system is in the garage

Sent from my SM-J700T using Tapatalk
    Seeing what kind of Work that You do, ..... That is Scary in itself.
    Hos 4:6 My people are destroyed for lack of knowledge. Because you have rejected knowledge, I will also reject you, that you may be no priest to me. Because you have forgotten your God’s law, I will also forget your children.

Mat_15:24 But he answered, “I wasn’t sent to anyone but the lost sheep of the house of Israel.”

4. Likes HVAC_Marc liked this post
    Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by HVAC_Marc View Post
    It's a concrete filled bollard to protect the equipment. I believe that's code in those states where stuff is in the garage.
    Oh gotcha, makes sense. Thanks
    "It's not that I'm smart, it's that I stay with the problem longer”
    Albert Einstein

6. Likes HVAC_Marc liked this post
    Post Likes
    Davidb, which year code are you going off of?

Post Likes
    Chapter 4101:2-1 Administrative Rules
    4101:2-1-01 Administration.

[Comment: When a reference is made within this rule to a federal statutory provision, an industry consensus standard, or any other technical publication, the specific date and title of the publication as well as the name and address of the promulgating agency are listed in rule 4101:2-15-01 of the Administrative Code. The application of the referenced standards shall be limited and as prescribed in section 102.5 of rule 4101:1-1-01 of the Administrative Code.]

SECTION 101

GENERAL

101.1 Title. Chapter 4101:2-1 to 4101:2-15 of the Administrative Code shall be designated as the "Ohio Mechanical Code" for which the designation "OMC" may be substituted. The "International Mechanical Code 2015, first printing, Chapters 2 to 15," as published by the "International Code Council, Inc." is used as the basis of this document. References in these chapters to "this code" or to the "mechanical code" in other sections of the Administrative Code shall mean the "Ohio Mechanical Code".

101.2 Scope. The provisions of this code shall apply to the design, installation, maintenance, alteration, repair, relocation, replacement, addition to, use and inspection of mechanical systems within buildings. This code shall also apply to those systems, system components, equipment and appliances specifically addressed herein.

101.3 Administrative and enforcement. For administrative and enforcement provisions of this code, refer to sections 101.2 to 115.4 of the building code.

101.4 Referenced standards. When a reference is made within the mechanical code to a federal statutory provision, an industry consensus standard, or any other technical publication, the specific date and title of the publication as well as the name and address of the promulgating agency are listed in Chapter 15 of this code. The application of the referenced standards shall be limited and as prescribed in section 102.5 of the building code.

Replaces: 4101:2-1-01

Effective: 11/1/2017
    Five Year Review (FYR) Dates: 11/01/2022
    Promulgated Under: 119.03
    Statutory Authority: 3781.10(A)
    Rule Amplifies: 3781.10 , 3781.11, 3791.04
    Prior Effective Dates: 3/1/98, 1/1/02, 3/1/05, 7/1/07, 11/1/11

http://codes.ohio.gov/oac/4101%3A2-1
    ----

And the 2017 NEC

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by DavidDeBord View Post
    Chapter 4101:2-1 Administrative Rules
    4101:2-1-01 Administration.

[Comment: When a reference is made within this rule to a federal statutory provision, an industry consensus standard, or any other technical publication, the specific date and title of the publication as well as the name and address of the promulgating agency are listed in rule 4101:2-15-01 of the Administrative Code. The application of the referenced standards shall be limited and as prescribed in section 102.5 of rule 4101:1-1-01 of the Administrative Code.]

SECTION 101

GENERAL

101.1 Title. Chapter 4101:2-1 to 4101:2-15 of the Administrative Code shall be designated as the "Ohio Mechanical Code" for which the designation "OMC" may be substituted. The "International Mechanical Code 2015, first printing, Chapters 2 to 15," as published by the "International Code Council, Inc." is used as the basis of this document. References in these chapters to "this code" or to the "mechanical code" in other sections of the Administrative Code shall mean the "Ohio Mechanical Code".

101.2 Scope. The provisions of this code shall apply to the design, installation, maintenance, alteration, repair, relocation, replacement, addition to, use and inspection of mechanical systems within buildings. This code shall also apply to those systems, system components, equipment and appliances specifically addressed herein.

101.3 Administrative and enforcement. For administrative and enforcement provisions of this code, refer to sections 101.2 to 115.4 of the building code.

101.4 Referenced standards. When a reference is made within the mechanical code to a federal statutory provision, an industry consensus standard, or any other technical publication, the specific date and title of the publication as well as the name and address of the promulgating agency are listed in Chapter 15 of this code. The application of the referenced standards shall be limited and as prescribed in section 102.5 of the building code.

Replaces: 4101:2-1-01

Effective: 11/1/2017
    Five Year Review (FYR) Dates: 11/01/2022
    Promulgated Under: 119.03
    Statutory Authority: 3781.10(A)
    Rule Amplifies: 3781.10 , 3781.11, 3791.04
    Prior Effective Dates: 3/1/98, 1/1/02, 3/1/05, 7/1/07, 11/1/11

http://codes.ohio.gov/oac/4101%3A2-1
    ----

And the 2017 NEC
    Chapter 4101:2-8 Chimneys and vents
    4101:2-8-01 Chimneys and vents.

http://codes.ohio.gov/oac/4101%3A2-8

Post Likes
    Davidb and Marc,
    Thanks, it's amazing to me that code would include stupid stuff like fire sprinklers inside walk in coolers, but allow for single wall flue. Tells me unions have more say than the insurance guys (extra work for the sprinkler guys). Never heard of a fire inside a walk in once they required non-flammable insulation in the walls... but have heard of many fires caused by a hot flue.

11. Likes HVAC_Marc liked this post
    Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by davidadavis View Post
    Davidb, which year code are you going off of?
    1926...the one they used for gravity furnaces. Sizing requirements state “ehh as long as it looks big enough”

13. Likes rcstl liked this post
    Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by Pnasty View Post
    1926...the one they used for gravity furnaces. Sizing requirements state “ehh as long as it looks big enough”
    I was asking the professionals.. not kux... lol

Post Likes
    If a single wall flue from a furnace to a b vent which is what's required to vent through attics, chases, would cause a fire every house in Washington state would have burned down to the ground by now. If you have the clearances and you can install heat shields which I learned somebody pointed out where I made a mistake.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by rider77 View Post
    The customer shouldn’t be able to feel nor heat airflow unless they are directly beside a diffuser.
    This is basic airflow 101. Setting up systems like that is doing a disservice to the customer by creating noise and comfort problems.
    I’ve never scored myself on airflow by if a system freezes up or not. Basic setup readings will tell you that without creating an iceberg on the evaporator
    The airflow is non-existent in that house with the 800 CFM. I use two stage furnaces because on the heating side you first Heating and you can have pretty low air flow. Other places I've done when I count the diffusers I see what is the diameter of the ductwork that's going into it. Single story homes seem to have better air distribution especially if the main trunk line is in the crawl and it just going right from that trunk to the outlets. This house ductwork had very long runs to some areas

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by thekux View Post
    If a single wall flue from a furnace to a b vent which is what's required to vent through attics, chases, would cause a fire every house in Washington state would have burned down to the ground by now.
    So it either doesn't burn any houses down, or it burns them all down? Grow up

Page 9 of 12 FirstFirst ... 23456789101112 LastLast