Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by thekux View Post
    No I don't I'm not a licensed contractor. There's nothing wrong with doing it that way I've seen in the bunch of times over the years doesn't hurt anything. I couldn't find it in the code book I don't see the necessity for it either. I seen all the time on tight installations. And it works just fine

Sent from my SM-J700T using Tapatalk
    so, you admit you're an illegal hack. GREAT!!

There's EVERYTHING wrong with not doing it the right way. Even to the MINIMUM that the code specifies.

Post Likes
    It is the right way it works just fine. Looks great it's nothing wrong with these jobs. I haven't had any mechanical issues in my jobs. I pressure test all my line sets with nitrogen at 300 PSI. I make sure everything works. I know how to size equipment I can tell by walking through a house if I got that blower running I know what I can do. I'm limited by the existing ductwork. And you can always push a little more air through without getting excessive noise. I always put in stage furnaces so it can heat on the low-speed and you can't hear it too well in the house. I can see you doing a job you'd be there for two weeks and I mean done in 2 days. You think you're going to rebuild somebody's whole house and be able to charge for that? You don't need to but most of the time if you know what you're doing. Count the outlets I take the grills out of floor and look at the diameter of the ductwork and I know what the CFM I can push her there without having a noise issue.

Post Likes
    You're so wrong, and you refuse to learn. Stuck in the old ways of hackery. Doing well only by your pocketbook and not by the customer. It's sad.

4. Likes kdean1 liked this post
    Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by HVAC_Marc View Post
    You're so wrong, and you refuse to learn. Stuck in the old ways of hackery. Doing well only by your pocketbook and not by the customer. It's sad.
    I have 3 tons with 4 tons of air going through it it's cool in the house off very well with that extra air I still got a really nice TD of over 20 get your manual J out you'll see I'm in the ballpark

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by thekux View Post
    I have 3 tons with 4 tons of air going through it it's cool in the house off very well with that extra air I still got a really nice TD of over 20 get your manual J out you'll see I'm in the ballpark

manual j has nothing to do with it. let me explain:

manual j is for loading
    manual d is for duct layout and sizing
    manual s is for system selection

nowhere in any of those books does it say "guess with no data".

you say you have 3 tons of cooling with 4 tons of air (that's bad, by the way). how do you know? because you have it set to high speed and that's what the furnace is rated for? or did you measure static pressure and calculate the actual CFM? are you getting that cfm all the way out, and to the appropriate places? how do you know? did you measure or did you go by feel?

you know that the differential will change right? at least I hope you know it will...

7. Likes kdean1 liked this post
    Post Likes
    I know because when I would go through the house with the old stuff in there air flow is really lousy. I mean you could barely feel the air coming out of the floor vents. Of course in an existing house you can forget your duct design and all that because you are limited by what's there. So you have to try to make that work. I take the Vince out of the floor and look at the diameter of the duct Coming into it most of the time it's always 6 in. I know I can move more than 100 CFM. But there's times I have put my hand to the lot of these events and I know I'm not getting 100 CFM you can barely feel it. I know it will need more air for AC. Heating here is a little more forgiving with lousy air flow because we don't have bitter super cold days and you can get away with it a lot more on the heating end with poor air flow. You have lousy airflow you won't have heating or cooling but especially Cooling

Post Likes
    You have a 12 Outlets are all 6 in That's supposed to be good to 1200 CFM. You can move 1500 and still be fine with noise it's all about not having a noisy system. And when I have a 3 ton coil with 4 ton blower I have options by how the house feels how the airflow is the noise level of the system. If you live in Reno Nevada you're actually supposed to run higher CFM over a coil. 2000 CFM on a 5-ton coil in Reno can lead to freeze up problems. It's on a comment in Reno to see a system 4 ton coil 3-ton condensing unit

Post Likes
    you're guessing. even a small vane gauge on a phone will tell you something. how do you even know what each room requires? guess? that's a joke and a disservice to your customers. you're wasting time and their money.

I know not every job requires a full duct evaluation but problem jobs require a little effort and data goes a long way to helping. Bigger and more isn't always better.

11. Likes kdean1 liked this post
    Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by HVAC_Marc View Post
    you're guessing. even a small vane gauge on a phone will tell you something. how do you even know what each room requires? guess? that's a joke and a disservice to your customers. you're wasting time and their money.

I know not every job requires a full duct evaluation but problem jobs require a little effort and data goes a long way to helping. Bigger and more isn't always better.
    And existing homes where the ductwork is all buried which is a lot of the stuff that I end up working on you're going to have to work with it ductwork that's there. I don't have to worried about the size of the room so much because I'm not changing the ductwork I'm just seeing what's there already. I am limited by what's there on existing homes and do the best I can with what's there. I've been on other homes where people ask me about AC. The houses are really old and some actually have 4 in supplies feeding the registers and added up and be a big house and tell them that central air might not be a good choice because the ductwork just can't handle what's needed. Here in Washington state you see a lot of stuff like that because the heat load really isn't that big because of the mild or weather that we have in the winter time

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12