Thread: Gasket Material

Post Likes

Gasket Material

Do any of you guys use raw gasket material to make gaskets for valves/components in the field?

Sporlan has a great bulletin with templates and dimensions, but there is not mention of the gasket material used.
    sporlanonline.com/literature/misc/330-20-1.pdf

I believe it's Durlon 8500, but not sure. I've used this in the past, it was available at a local embroidery shop in small sections, however, it was much thicker than needed.

The proper thickness for most gaskets is 1/16", have not been able to find online.

I would like to source some small sheets to have if I could.

Post Likes
    I keep a couple different kinds in my truck but can't remember when I used it last.

Post Likes
    I keep some Garlock. but I also keep a fair assortment of precut, and the "gasket book" from URI.

I once made 6" gasket for a check valve cover from a clear file folder cover, and two stick on foam gaskets from a duct take off fitting.....that was a rough day in the middle of nowhere! LOL!

4. Likes The Turtleman, GoCougs liked this post
    Post Likes
    http://www.generalgasketcorp.com
    This is just one of several gasket companies in saint louis, missouri they carry any type of material that you need and make gaskets too. I've had other companies make gaskets or recommended material and had the best luck with general.