Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Post Likes
    I don't know what your code is but per your closet dimensions the installation wouldn't pass anyway here. You have a 25" wide closet with a 17.5" furnace, leaving 7.5" of free space. Code here requires the closet to be at least 12" wider than the furnace to be installed. You can put the furnace anywhere with in an inch of the wall with the balance of room on the other side, center it, or anything in between but you have to have the 12" more than the furnace takes up.

The second thing is you are concerned about how a rigid pipe will look with that appliance connector looking line a yellow snake trying to climb the wall? I can see how a pipe going across in front of the gas valve would make it harder to work on but at least it would hide the yellow boa.

Sorry if this seems a little harsh. Sometimes we have to deal with reality whether we want to or not. From what you have posted it sounds like the contractor is trying to do what you want and deal as best as he can with code. Somewhere in the process he found himself between a rock and hard spot. Maybe if you cut him some slack he can find enough wiggle room to come up with a workable solution.

Post Likes
    Im not entirely sure why you need to run this to the base of the furnace? All you need is something that allows air into the room to equalize pressures. It can go anywhere in the room.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by HVAC_Marc View Post
    Im not entirely sure why you need to run this to the base of the furnace? All you need is something that allows air into the room to equalize pressures. It can go anywhere in the room.
    I remember being told there had to be BOTH a high AND low supply, grill or pipe.
    The Food Stamp Program, administered by the U.S. Department of Agriculture, is proud to be distributing the greatest amount of free meals and stamps EVER.
    Meanwhile, the National Park Service, administered by the U.S. Department of the Interior, asks us to "Please Do Not Feed the Animals". Their stated reason for this policy "... the animals become dependent on handouts and will not learn to take care of themselves."
    from an excerpt by Paul Jacob in Sun City, AZ

Post Likes
    why? Combustion air is just air from the room.

Maybe so that the room didnt get too much hot/cold air in one place?

Post Likes
    If not using indoor air (sealed closet)

2 combustion air sources are required, 1 within the upper 12" of the closet, 1 within the lower 12'', and the area of the opening needs to equal 1 sq/inch per 4000 btus of gross burner capacity (60k seems like a lot for the house).

Or, 1 air source freely communicating with the outdoors can be used equaling 1 sq/inch per 3000 btus and must within 12'' of the closet ceiling.

If the work had been permitted prior to the install, a reasonable inspector would likely sign off on 1 upper but he'll probably be a little grumpy if he knows the building department was circumvented.

6. Likes HVAC_Marc, BALloyd liked this post.
    Post Likes
    Code requires a high and low combination air vent/intake.

8. Likes HVAC_Marc, BALloyd liked this post.
    Post Likes
    why? Combustion air is just air from the room.

Maybe so that the room didnt get too much hot/cold air in one place?
    It's to ensure you have the required amount of air should one become blocked. Unlikely both would be blocked.
    The Food Stamp Program, administered by the U.S. Department of Agriculture, is proud to be distributing the greatest amount of free meals and stamps EVER.
    Meanwhile, the National Park Service, administered by the U.S. Department of the Interior, asks us to "Please Do Not Feed the Animals". Their stated reason for this policy "... the animals become dependent on handouts and will not learn to take care of themselves."

10. Likes HVAC_Marc liked this post.
    Post Likes
    2 separate feeds I can see, but one high and one low from the same pipe... it can be blocked at the source and there's still no air.

is it 2 distict sources or one pipe/2 outlets?

Ive only dealt with one of these and it was force vented with an intake can.

Post Likes
    I had a call one time, newer carrier furnace in a closet, the first winter for the couple who just bought the place. No heat due to a tripped limit on the flue exhaust elbow...you know the ones. Everything checked out okay so I bailed and told them to call me back if it trips again. Well, they called me back. So what was going on was the safety was ok with the closet door open (first trip out there) but with the door closed the closet temp crept up and as it did, so did the temp reading in the little limit housing till it eventually tripped. They had only one combustion air vent which was wrongly terminated low and the closet heat had nowhere to go so it built up, at least that was my theory.

Post Likes
    2 separate feeds I can see, but one high and one low from the same pipe... it can be blocked at the source and there's still no air.

is it 2 distict sources or one pipe/2 outlets? Yes.

Ive only dealt with one of these and it was force vented with an intake can.
    In a situation like this there would be 2 distinct/individual air supplies. This could be communicating with the space in the house(not a bedroom or bathroom) or outside or attic(IIRC).

14. Likes HVAC_Marc liked this post.
    Post Likes
    Thank you for the clarification.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12