Post Likes

What new laptop setup steps would you take

I would hate to say 'I should have done that'. Is a VM a necessity? Should that be installed first? What would you install on a VM? I plan on installing everything in 32 bit so I can hopefully get Lon back.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by incontrol View Post
    I would hate to say 'I should have done that'. Is a VM a necessity? Should that be installed first? What would you install on a VM? I plan on installing everything in 32 bit so I can hopefully get Lon back.
    I think it depends on your needs. Personally I work on JCI, Siemens, LON, Tridium ect like many on this site. The extra cost and issues with getting a 32 bit image of Windows 7 working can be a hindrance, but if you have people that can't deal with the technical issues that can come with VMs then getting a 32 bit native OS working is a must. I personally would rather have a native OS that can utilize all of my available RAM and not have issues running newer software.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by NickDeal View Post
    I think it depends on your needs. Personally I work on JCI, Siemens, LON, Tridium ect like many on this site. The extra cost and issues with getting a 32 bit image of Windows 7 working can be a hindrance, but if you have people that can't deal with the technical issues that can come with VMs then getting a 32 bit native OS working is a must. I personally would rather have a native OS that can utilize all of my available RAM and not have issues running newer software.
    I don't think incontrol needs 32 bit windows, just 32 bit niagara. Either way, you won't get more than 4 GB out of 32 bit windows anyways. Since windows 7 comes with a licensed VM for windows XP, you should be covered in regards to legacy software that will only run in 32 bit systems. Such applications are not typically resource hogs so they will likely run fine in such an environment. That said, I did have a hardware key for American Automatrix that was XP only and the VM bundled with Windows 7 would not recognize it so I had to dig around for an old XP machine.