Post Likes

Trane Varitrac CCP keeps calibrating

Has anyone seen a Varitrac touch screen keep putting it's self into calibration? Multiple calls from customer saying it's hot in there and it's in calibration. Couple times I've showed up it was working. But he did take a couple pics with his phone to show me, so it is happening.

Just wondered if anyone else had come across this and what they found?

Post Likes
    I have no experience with it but one thing I do know having my butt kicked in a few calls is that if a solid-state device is starting to fail it can lose its memory. It might be as simple as that it's going bad is this just a thermostat? Like a Honeywell room thermostat or is this part of a DDC system?

Post Likes
    Is the system calibrating, or is the touch screen itself in calibration? The sensitivity to touch pressure is adjustable on some screens. I think this one is.

If the system is calibrating, I'd look at how it determines to do that. Is it scheduled to do that, like once a week, usually when in unoccupied? It may do it on power up. Maybe check incoming power, tighten connections, etc.

Post Likes
    The board is calibrating the system like on initial start up. It says it should do a calibration every seven days. On a change from occupied to unoccupied it checks for recent calibrations as well But only once a day. But it does it every couple hours in a given day and it resets the whole system while it does it and gets the area warm

Post Likes
    I would verify that incoming power is not dropping out. Verify the wiring connections. Make sure terminals are tight.

Is the calibration schedule adjustable? verify it is properly set.

That's about all I have for you. I worked quite a bit with the early VariTracs, before they had a touch screen, and the main panel had a simple, plain brushed steel cover. Back in the late 80's or so. I saw one since then, about 12 years ago. It had the touch screen, and I wasn't on it long enough to get up to date.

Post Likes
    I just remembered; some Trane Zone Sensors (thermostats) will override from Unoccupied to Occupied by pressing and releasing an override button on them. Usually for a two hour override period. If that button is pressed and held there, it can confuse things. You may look into that. I have found posters and paintings left standing on the floor and leaning against the wall and pressing on the Zone Sensor Override button. It was on a Tracer Summit system, and I don't remember the problem it caused, but it could be worth looking into.