Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Post Likes
    Looks like a clear dip tube.....maybe for an oil pump?

could be nitrogen entrained in the oil.

Post Likes
    First, it's mineral oil.
    Second, I'm not so sure it could be nitrogen, at least not at those pressures. I think the material the gets in the oil needs to be in an environment to be capable of being a liquid?
    If there was nitrogen in the oil, I think we would see it well before the boiling point of water.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk
    -----Stop, step back, relax and have another go at it.-----

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by BennyD View Post
    First, it's mineral oil.
    Second, I'm not so sure it could be nitrogen, at least not at those pressures. I think the material the gets in the oil needs to be in an environment to be capable of being a liquid?
    If there was nitrogen in the oil, I think we would see it well before the boiling point of water.

oil will absorb and retain a certain percentage of refrigerant......it will retain that percentage regardless of everything happening around it.....vacuum, pressure, etc. it can be removed, given a long enough vacuum, or distillation process. but in the short time of a 500 micron evacuation, I don't think it will separate.

There are always pockets of refrigerant and oil left out in the system after recovery. that fresh oil could have absorbed it's small percentage from the rest of the system during the evacuation......I dunno….seems unlikely, but it's possible.

I think a more likely explanation is that the fresh oil in the crank case was sloshed around during transport and installation, causing air, and/or nitrogen to be mixed in and trapped under the surface...….the evacuation is removing it.

Post Likes
    Now if there were nitrogen bubbles trapped in the windings that never made it to the surface. I could see them expanding under the low pressure and finding a way up.

Where the grass is green and the girls are pretty
    Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by 71CHOPS View Post
    oil will absorb and retain a certain percentage of refrigerant......it will retain that percentage regardless of everything happening around it.....vacuum, pressure, etc. it can be removed, given a long enough vacuum, or distillation process. but in the short time of a 500 micron evacuation, I don't think it will separate.

There are always pockets of refrigerant and oil left out in the system after recovery. that fresh oil could have absorbed it's small percentage from the rest of the system during the evacuation......I dunno….seems unlikely, but it's possible.

I think a more likely explanation is that the fresh oil in the crank case was sloshed around during transport and installation, causing air, and/or nitrogen to be mixed in and trapped under the surface...….the evacuation is removing it.
    It was a new compressor

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by BennyD View Post
    First, it's mineral oil.

Ok..... What new compressor comes with mineral oil?

Post Likes
    Don't Trane scrolls come with OIL15
    Edit: For R-22

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by itsiceman View Post
    Ok..... What new compressor comes with mineral oil?
    Trane compressors come with mineral oil if its for a R-22 unit. The last compressor I got from Carrier also had mineral oil.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by coolerik View Post
    But I thought you cant get moisture out of POE...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    You can get some moisture out, but the water molecules will chemically bond to the oil molecules and cant be boiled off under a vacuum. It will have to be filtered out.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by hands View Post
    You can get some moisture out, but the water molecules will chemically bond to the oil molecules and cant be boiled off under a vacuum. It will have to be filtered out.
    I don't believe there is a chemical bond just sitting there.
    You can dry out POE by simply bubbling N2 through it

Post Likes
    My understanding is that the chemical bond is not instant. It takes time. And heat makes it go faster.
    I do a triple evac with nitro to remove non condensables.

Post Likes
    I have taken a few classes on R-410a and POE oil systems. We were told that if the system is open for more that 15 minuets, the oil should be changed.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by hands View Post
    Trane compressors come with mineral oil if its for a R-22 unit. The last compressor I got from Carrier also had mineral oil.
    Last warranty compressor I got a for a dry R22 unit (a few months ago) came with POE.

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Tapatalk

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast