Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by BBeerme View Post
    Yeah, I use the mega hoses also. Then I hook up my charging manifold/hoses to the core removal tools. Then I burp the air out of the hoses before charging.

As mentioned in post #12, I couldn't figure out how to purge the hoses with the low loss fittings attached to the hoses. I had to put the low loss end of the hose on the manifold just so I could purge the air out of the hoses.
    I usually take the refrigerant tank and the center hose from my manifold(without the low loss fitting) and weigh in the charge through the CRTs. If it's a split and I don't know the exact charge I'll put in the factory charge from the outdoor. Then start the unit and hook up gauges normally to finish charging.

It goes in quick because it's just one hose. No core depressers. No schrader valves. No manifold.

I've used the ball valves before. I just prefer to keep my gauges streamlined. The valves get in the way. Get snagged on things. Open up by accident. Take up room when your packing things up to the roof. My low and high side hoses are JB Kobra low loss and the center is a normal hose with depressor removed.
    “Free men do not ask permission to bear arms.”
    -Possibly said by Thomas Jefferson(but true even if he didn't)

“What one generation tolerates, the next generation will embrace.”
    ― Definitely said by John Wesley

"One out of 3 Democrat voters is just as stupid as the other two"
    -Said by me

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by RMSG01 View Post
    The only way I have found to purge the low loss fitting hoses is by using my pocket screw driver to push down the inside to allow the purge, I have seen other guys that used an adapter to purge, but thats just another thing to keep up with, in a box, that will eventually get lost in the grass on a late night running installation scenario, which is why I used my pocket screw driver. LOL
    When you keep your center hose a normal hose you can vent the refrigerant or air out of both sides if there is pressure in the system you are working on. The only time you would hook up to system with no pressure and had to add refrigerant is if you just evacuated. Then I do as described above. There may be times when there is zero refrigerant pressure in a system or even the suction side running in a vacuum. If that's the case, the tiny bit of a different type of refrigerant it may pull in is th least of the systems problems.

Before I hook up my hoses I purge any refrigerant pressure out of the high and low out the center hose. Which usually isn't much because I almost always pull any refrigerant back into the system I'm working on though the suction side when I'm done.
    “Free men do not ask permission to bear arms.”
    -Possibly said by Thomas Jefferson(but true even if he didn't)

“What one generation tolerates, the next generation will embrace.”
    ― Definitely said by John Wesley

"One out of 3 Democrat voters is just as stupid as the other two"
    -Said by me

Post Likes
    I have normal hoses with the ball valve adapters on the high side and middle hose ends.

Having a ball valve on the high and center hoses gives me a chance to easily measure a pressure drop across things like filter driers while using the same (high side) gauge and without having to disconnect and reconnect hoses to the system.

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Tapatalk

Post Likes
    Nobody uses analog anymore.. so 1990s... get the YJ digital manifold

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk
    HVAC Magician @ UA Local 638

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by RMSG01 View Post
    The only way I have found to purge the low loss fitting hoses is by using my pocket screw driver to push down the inside to allow the purge, I have seen other guys that used an adapter to purge, but thats just another thing to keep up with, in a box, that will eventually get lost in the grass on a late night running installation scenario, which is why I used my pocket screw driver. LOL
    Quote Originally Posted by BALloyd View Post
    Just keep a 1/4" flare fitting handy to screw on the LL fitting briefly to purge.

Sent from my SM-N910W8 using Tapatalk
    Oh, yeah, I guess that's what I should've done. I got my way of doing things which has been streamlined for quality and accuracy. Just threw me for a loop using a brand new set of gauges from a new hire rookie.
    If you were a real tech, you'd solder a relay on that board and call it good to go.

I do a triple evac with nitro to remove non condensables.

Post Likes
    Thanks for the input guys. I ended up going with the testo 549s I had a hard time getting the manifold I wanted and I ended up finding a good deal on the testos so hopefully I like them I know they dont come with a case or the temp probes but I can calculate superheat and subcooling myself with my thermometer I find the temp probes to be kind of a pain for everyday use and guys seem to have issues with them going bad and as for the case they would never go in the case anyways they just hangup in the van. Hopefully i will like them. The new yellow jackets also look cool but I dont want a 4 valve manifold.

Post Likes
    You can always get the temp probes later. It does streamline the process quite a bit.

I have the 549, I like it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Post Likes
    I finally got my new testos tonight I haven't had a chance to use them yet but so far i am impressed. They are really small and compact i cant wait to try them out.

Also a little off topic but the other day I picked up a milwaukee M12 compact inflator. I bought it for pressure testing gaslines and so far it is my new favourite tool. It works awesome is super small and way faster then using a hand pump. It also can be preset to a certain psi and automatically stops once its achieved. If you has a hundred or so feet of line bigger then an inch or so I would say you need a compressor but for alot of the time it works great.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by Hamilton HVAC View Post
    I finally got my new testos tonight I haven't had a chance to use them yet but so far i am impressed. They are really small and compact i cant wait to try them out.

Also a little off topic but the other day I picked up a milwaukee M12 compact inflator. I bought it for pressure testing gaslines and so far it is my new favourite tool. It works awesome is super small and way faster then using a hand pump. It also can be preset to a certain psi and automatically stops once its achieved. If you has a hundred or so feet of line bigger then an inch or so I would say you need a compressor but for alot of the time it works great.
    Thanks for posting that. I did not know they made one. I must have it. Thanks.

Post Likes
    Not a single home depot in the chicago area has one. Outrageous.

Post Likes
    I used it day on about 45 feet of i inch gas line for a generator install and i pressure tested to 20 psi for 30 mins tooks less then 30 seconds to reach 20 psi. I really like it seems to work awesome but i have only had it about a week.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by Hamilton HVAC View Post
    I used it day on about 45 feet of i inch gas line for a generator install and i pressure tested to 20 psi for 30 mins tooks less then 30 seconds to reach 20 psi. I really like it seems to work awesome but i have only had it about a week.
    You find it in a store, or order online?

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by heatingman View Post
    Not a single home depot in the chicago area has one. Outrageous.

Home Depot will only stock what moves.

Should be able to get it online from HD or others. I can normally get stuff from HD within 2-3 days.
    Can someone please explain to me -
    Why is there never enough time to do it right the first time, but plenty of time to do it twice?

Please view site rules: http://hvac-talk.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=1241

Apply for Pro Membership: http://hvac-talk.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=116113

Find your local HVAC-Talk Contractor: http://hvac-talk.com/aop

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast