+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Soft starters

Post Likes

Soft starters

Looking for some input on pros and cons of different manufactures starters. I am looking at Schneider Electric series Altistart 22 or 01. My application would be on a HRU with 15 HP motor, 460 3 ph.
    A VFD is not needed, as this is a constant cfm HRU. Customer is looking to save wear and tear on unit from high start torque.

Sent from my ASUS_P00J using Tapatalk

Post Likes
    I can't help with your product selection, but keep in mind that most soft starters have a maximum limit on the number of starts per hour. VFDs do not have this limitation - just keep that in mind when selecting your starters.

3. Likes mariner59 liked this post.
    Post Likes
    On this application, the HRU would come on only when the building was occupied. That would be one start per day. Thanks for the input, I did see that starts per hour was a determining factor for selecting what starter could use. I see that some starters have optional fans installed that can increase the number of starts per hour.

Sent from my ASUS_P00J using Tapatalk

Post Likes
    you may find installing a VFD could also save your customer money.

if your system is CV, and may not have been properly balanced, or changes have been made over the years, then installing a VFD with static pressure control could allow you to actually run the motor at a slower speed and still maintain the correct CFM's for the application.

a simple controller like a JCI P352P along with a drive might be a more economical solution.

Post Likes
    This is my first post to the site and I am hoping to benefit from others experience and maybe even assist at some point with my own.

I need to install a back up generator for my home in western NC. We are at the end of a Duke Power line and experience numerous grid perturbations and much higher grid failure than the national average. We have 400 amp service with approximately 200 amps allocated to support start-up demand on a 3.5 and a 3.0 heat pumps having 110 and 75 LRA, respectively. The installer quoted a 32kW genset, which is way over my budget even with my pouring the pad and running conduit. I want to consider the opportunity to attach soft start controllers to each unit to so I can reduce start up current and size a smaller, affordable genset. If anyone out there has encountered a similar situation and discovered a workable solution, or has some thoughts on the matter, I would appreciate hearing from you.
    Many thanks...

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in