Page 19 of 31 FirstFirst ... 912131415161718192021222324252629 ... LastLast
    Post Likes
    I have to agree with purging, I started purging a decade or so ago, due to txv's and driers getting clogged on commercial units and I started asking, "Why?" I found my answer, so now, if its a change out of any kind, I always purge after reclaiming to have pure nito thru the system, then open the system and run approx 1# or less thru, I have never had a drier stop up since, but I have been behind a few other techs that, "Ran Out" while on the job and finished without purging, its a clogged drier or something failed or screens clogged or something related to the lack of nitro thru the system.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by nsula_country View Post
    18 pages to determine if to flow N2 or not to flow N2...

I used to flow. Now rarely. I had done the same experiment with pinched off tube and brazed joint with O/A years ago. Not as scary as YouTube makes it out to be.

But pressure testing and purging with N2 is good practice. Especially after a rain in Louisiana... Our humidity is REAL! It can actually condensate.

CT
    I think it's the industry, going way to the extreme on purging with nitro, much like they sold microwaves as something you cant put metal in or it will burn it up and ruin it, but in reality, as long as the metal isnt touching the sides and the water content is greater, it will work, which is why they started selling them with defrosting racks. Manufacturers have found, people are lazy and unless they over push something thats a good practice, most wont do at all. I think if you blow thru to remove as much of everything, other than nitrogen, theres nitrogen left in the system and probably sufficient enough to stop oxidizing, but rather than say that, they say to purge thru at a pound of pressure.

Just my thoughts on it.

Post Likes
    Wet POE plus heat makes the crap that cloggs. This is a proven fact. Somebody please prove oxidation does anything. Could even act as a lubricant for all the proof there isn't in this thread!

4. Likes kangaroogod liked this post
    Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by itsiceman View Post
    Wet POE plus heat makes the crap that cloggs. This is a proven fact. Somebody please prove oxidation does anything. Could even act as a lubricant for all the proof there isn't in this thread!
    I've seen on a few jobs in my time plugged screens on compressor changes and air conditioning systems. It does make a difference. But when I'm doing line sets I prefer to use stay Brite 8. You don't need to worry about oxidation. I have seen ductless what systems get plugged up because installers did not Purge with nitrogen. Ductless systems much more susceptible. Big huge systems a couple of solder here they're probably would make a difference. Especially if it's Upstream of the liquid line filter. Working on smaller systems I'm a little paranoid of oxidation flaking off

Sent from my SM-J700T using Tapatalk

Post Likes
    I like Silv-Phos 5%-15% and O/A for heat... With 1 size too big tip at 5/20 to get in, and get out at 1100+* melt temp.

CT

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by itsiceman View Post
    I'm pretty sure, this is why manufacturers started installing a line drier on the inside of equipment and some even supply a secondary drier to be installed externally, to reduce the failures due to copper oxidation. Like I have said, on some big systems, I have had to go behind other installers and change out the drier due to them being clogged, I suspect it was the brazing without a purge that did it, I have had to on more occasions than you might think, humidity is a killer here, as well, and its a proven fact, POE oil will mix with anything, even water, your blood, everything, I.E. it will clean off the oxidation, then once in the system, the copper fuses itself into other metals, that is another proven fact, look at a firearm that has been repeatedly shot, the barrel becomes copper infused and starts to remove metal with each shot after that point, which in turn builds copper at a faster rate, then more metal, etc. it's a downward spiral once copper infuses other metals, especially in a high heat application. Brass, on the other hand, is a self lubricating type metal, similar to stainless steel, but even they are suseptable to copper. It all makes sense as I type this out, this is why some systems tend to be constant problems and others run for ten years worry free, some get lucky and minimal oxidation, others have high oxidation. I am sure there is a break point of how much copper will cause a problem faster, or a point that it is nil, I wonder if any manufacturer has experimented with this and have #'s on this?

Post Likes
    Put as many driers as you want. Ain't gonna hold the moisture on a hot neglected system. Only seen a few clogged driers in my time. Was either hacked too many times by a maintenance man tring to fix leaks or installed leak sealer by a maintenance man.

9. Likes lions_lair liked this post
    Post Likes
    Well, I'm pretty sure in the photo below, a nitro purge would not have helped. After removing the TEV, we are looking down into the distributor. At first I thought it was desiccant, could be solder though. In any case, I'm sure it's restricting a lot of flow. Haven't done the destructive analyses on the drier yet.

Name:  20180711_133543[1].jpg
Views: 94
Size:  44.7 KB
    If you were a real tech, you'd solder a relay on that board and call it good to go.

I do a triple evac with nitro to remove non condensables.

Post Likes
    I have been told by a few service technicians microchannel condensing units if you don't use the nitrogen Purge you'll probably plug it up there have really tiny ports not like the old days. I have to make a few times I said f*** it

Sent from my SM-J700T using Tapatalk

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by BBeerme View Post
    Well, I'm pretty sure in the photo below, a nitro purge would not have helped. After removing the TEV, we are looking down into the distributor. At first I thought it was desiccant, could be solder though. In any case, I'm sure it's restricting a lot of flow. Haven't done the destructive analyses on the drier yet.

Name:  20180711_133543[1].jpg
Views: 94
Size:  44.7 KB
    what is that ? looks like mold type sewage .... guess it could be solder ...
    download the hvacskills app @ hvacskills.com, sets off bells and whistles and sirens and horns whenever hvacskills makes a post, be the first to say " that is incorrect ", even though it " is correct ", but wont you sure look cool to all of your buddies !

Post Likes
    So let me get this straight. If that sludge was black it was oxidation that plugged it up but any other color sludge there was some other reason the sludge got in the system?

14. Likes lions_lair liked this post
    Post Likes
    What ever it is, I poked it with a wire. It is hard and lodged in there really good.

Quote Originally Posted by hvacskills View Post
    what is that ? looks like mold type sewage .... guess it could be solder ...
    If you were a real tech, you'd solder a relay on that board and call it good to go.

I do a triple evac with nitro to remove non condensables.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by BBeerme View Post
    What ever it is, I poked it with a wire. It is hard and lodged in there really good.
    I blew up the picture and it looks like solder or braze ... kinda discolored so it looks like braze ...
    download the hvacskills app @ hvacskills.com, sets off bells and whistles and sirens and horns whenever hvacskills makes a post, be the first to say " that is incorrect ", even though it " is correct ", but wont you sure look cool to all of your buddies !

Page 19 of 31 FirstFirst ... 912131415161718192021222324252629 ... LastLast