+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Well depth

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by Juan Madera View Post
    Use the tubing down to the end of the pick up or wherever your low point is in the well. Attach a tee with a pressure gauge and a fitting for air pressure. Introduce air until the pressure gauge stops rising (you will hear bubbling in the well at this point) and then take that pressure and convert to head pressure for your water depth. Easy peasy...

Town of Virginia City' municipal water is entirely fed with a siphon! Installed in the 1800's I believe.
    I have heard of that too. I was just hoping I could have something to take a quick glance at... without having to carry along my air tank. I could put in a tee with a Schrader valve just in case.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk
    -----Stop, step back, relax and have another go at it.-----

2. Likes DavidDeBord liked this post.
    Post Likes
    Jaun's solution is as old as the hills and works very well. It is actually called a bubbler. Siphon action will not collapse normal water supply pipes or public water storage tanks. The tanks are vented and any standard ridged pipe will handle the hoop stress of maximum siphon pressure even at sea level.

4. Likes DavidDeBord liked this post.
    Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by WAYNE3298 View Post
    The tanks are vented
    The discussion was more about purposely creating an unusual situation. There's videos out there of train cars collapsing under vacuum.
    Nest is POO!!

6. Likes DavidDeBord liked this post.
    Post Likes
    A lot of things such as ducts and steam boilers have collapsed under vacuum. A boiler will do it if you bring it down too fast. Fifteen PSI is a lot of pressure for a non-code and non-vented tank but is meaningless on a ridged wall pipe.

8. Likes DavidDeBord liked this post.
    Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by WAYNE3298 View Post
    A lot of things such as ducts and steam boilers have collapsed under vacuum. A boiler will do it if you bring it down too fast. Fifteen PSI is a lot of pressure for a non-code and non-vented tank but is meaningless on a ridged wall pipe.
    That reminded me of a YouTube video I saw about steam and vacuum. This is a short version of what I saw made by the same channel. Pretty violent!
    https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=qodHf-ryy8Q

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk
    -----Stop, step back, relax and have another go at it.-----

10. Likes DavidDeBord liked this post.
    Post Likes
    Nest is POO!!

12. Likes DavidDeBord liked this post.
    Post Likes
    Very impressive! We installed a few of the rheem plastic electic water heaters and a vaccum relief valve needs to be used or else the tank will implode if you drain the thing. I have replaced oil tank drains on 1/2 full residential oil tanks and put a vaccum on them to do so... never had a problem but I may reconsider next time. (Or not)

'The more you know, the more you realize you don't know'

14. Likes HVAC_Marc, DavidDeBord liked this post.
    Post Likes
    LOL

Quote Originally Posted by kangaroogod View Post
    Very impressive! We installed a few of the rheem plastic electic water heaters and a vaccum relief valve needs to be used or else the tank will implode if you drain the thing. I have replaced oil tank drains on 1/2 full residential oil tanks and put a vaccum on them to do so... never had a problem but I may reconsider next time. (Or not)

'The more you know, the more you realize you don't know'
    I do a triple evac with nitro to remove non condensables.

Post Likes
    submersible pump switch if it would fit in the casing, off ebay. extend the wire mount it with a rope and heavy weight then it's adjustable.

17. Likes DavidDeBord liked this post.
    Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by HVAC_Marc View Post
    It should work.

What I would do: seal the cap. put a vacuum pump on it. keep the vacuum on auto start/stop between 12" and 15" to begin with. you can tweak it later and add fail-safes to prevent pump water ingestion. lowering the pressure inside the well casing makes the water want to be there. you can literally have water all the way up to the top of the casing doing this.

(dont ask how many pumps Ive broken )
    A Vacuum pump, as in HVAC/ Refrigeration Marc?

And, ... You are pumping out the air in the Well Casing, which is causing the Water to rise?

Interesting!
    Hos 4:6 My people are destroyed for lack of knowledge. Because you have rejected knowledge, I will also reject you, that you may be no priest to me. Because you have forgotten your God’s law, I will also forget your children.

"You've got to Stand for Something or You'll fall for anything" (A. Tippin)

Mat_15:24 But he answered, “I wasn’t sent to anyone but the lost sheep of the house of Israel.”

Post Likes
    Nope. Did this on my dad's well. the shale starts 1 foot below grade. it's 96 feet deep, 10" iron casing with an aluminum cap. It works best with a submersible pump.

Used CPVC pipe for the vacuum. It's all siliconed together. the case to pipe connection has a few washers and a large nut on the inside of the casing on the male cpvc adapter. We eventually built a PVC accumulator that the pump connected to. At the bottom of the vertical pipe were 2 electrodes that could short if the pipe ingested water. The pump then shut off.
    Hos 4:6 My people are destroyed for lack of knowledge. Because you have rejected knowledge, I will also reject you, that you may be no priest to me. Because you have forgotten your God’s law, I will also forget your children.

Mat_15:24 But he answered, “I wasn’t sent to anyone but the lost sheep of the house of Israel.”

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by DavidDeBord View Post
    A Vacuum pump, as in HVAC/ Refrigeration Marc?

And, ... You are pumping out the air in the Well Casing, which is causing the Water to rise?

Interesting!
    It will work, but a piston pump lasts longer. There's no oil to contaminate.

Yes, lowering pressure in the casing which makes air pressure force more water into the space.
    Nest is POO!!

21. Likes DavidDeBord liked this post.
    Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by BBeerme View Post
    Hmmmm . . . .

Something doesn't seem right.

Wouldn't there be a point where the vacuum would not be able to overcome the weight of the water?

I'm guessing if you had a 300' well, at something like 20 gallons a minute, that vacuum pump would never see liquid water. Just vapor H20.
    That is a Factor, but, the Well is open to the Water table/ Spring, & as the Column of water is lifted up, the Spring/ Water table increases the Volume of water, .... Kinda like a boiler fill valve, ... If I'm Thinkin' Clearly (And that's Questionable Eh?).

Even in times of Drought, Earth quake, or heavy Construction that affected the Water Table, ...this set up, should be adjustable for Depth, & should work, as long as Demand, doesn't overcome the Supply.

Post Likes
    The discussion was more about purposely creating an unusual situation. There's videos out there of train cars collapsing under vacuum.
    And Liberals!

24. Likes HVAC_Marc liked this post.
    Post Likes
    Our Well is 140 ft deep, with a 6" Casing, that terminates 20' down. I installed a 1/2 Hp- Deep Well pump via 1-1/4" Heavy Duty ABS Pipe, but I forget the #s of it.

I stopped the pump ten foot from the bottom of the bore, & have the foot valve there. The Pump also has a thermistor, of which when water passes the Pump inlet, it shuts down the power.
    I checked valved my Supply 5' ft away from the casing, in a trench with an PVC Access tube, for replacement, & I check valved the Supply piping once it penetrated my foundation. Then the piping goes up in to my Mechanical Room, & enters a whole house filter, then goes to the X-tanks.

I've got 4 Huge expansion tanks, run in series with the piping paralleled in case of a Tank Failure (Again I forget the #s ), & a 80 Gal. Tank with a Bleeder system to get rid of a Gas found in our Shale rock, & (the Gas smells like the Additive in Nat/ Propane Gas, but it Absolutely is not Explosive Cuz' I tried many a time, & many a way to set it on fire).

I'm planning on installing at least a 5000 gallon Fiber-glass Cistern to run parallel to the Well System.

We're adding a Water Softener, and several Osmosis units to finish it all off.

I'm also seeking a Siphon Pump, that could quickly be installed, for when the Power Grid Bites the dust, & Propane is no longer available for the generator.

I'm All ears, when it comes to improving my system, &/or making my Customers better.

Post Likes
    Like I told Ben, I'll get some pics when I get out to Dad's house next. It's so simple and crude, but it works.
    Nest is POO!!

27. Likes DavidDeBord liked this post.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in