Results 1 to 9 of 9
  1. #1
    Join Date
    Mar 2018
    Posts
    74
    Post Likes

    WebCTRL 4.1 runs on my 64 bit win7 machine, but not on the customer's 64 bit win10.

    I've got a customer with a 4.1 database whose server went down. We are replacing it with a new machine; WebCTRL 4.1 installs fine, but none of the applications will run (eikon, sitebuilder, server). Everything runs fine on my machine running windows 7, but they want it on their machine. Would buying a windows 7 license do the trick?

    Is this a windows 10 problem or am I missing something?

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    California
    Posts
    655
    Post Likes
    Simply put...your going to have problems. It likes 32 bit. Even IF you get it to work. Why? 7 should work fine....but 10???? It's a lost cause if it's not supported by the manufacture.
    I would ask the customer "why are you upgrading the computer?" If it has internet access you better upgrade WebCTRL.

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    SE Wisconsin
    Posts
    544
    Post Likes
    WebCRTL v6.5 is the first to be supported on Windows 10.

    I had another customer try something similar with 5.2 last week with similar results. In both cases i see the customer purchasing a 6.5 license upgrade.

    On a positive note the upgrade is cheaper than a new license. So there's that in your favor.

    Ken

  4. #4
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    SC
    Posts
    2,184
    Post Likes
    Another upgrade WebCTRL vote. The new HTML5 web interface alone is going to make it worth it.

    Otherwise stay on a supported OS.

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Mar 2018
    Posts
    74
    Post Likes
    Thread Starter
    Quote Originally Posted by control$ View Post
    Simply put...your going to have problems. It likes 32 bit. Even IF you get it to work. Why? 7 should work fine....but 10???? It's a lost cause if it's not supported by the manufacture.
    I would ask the customer "why are you upgrading the computer?" If it has internet access you better upgrade WebCTRL.
    It is a windows 10 issue. To everyone suggesting that the customer buy an upgrade, it won't happen. They don't have the budget to upgrade the hardware. They're on a new server because the old one crashed. An upgrade definitely would solve the issue, but they won't do business with the local branch because it's a garbage factory.

  6. #6
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    SC
    Posts
    2,184
    Post Likes
    Well win 7 has a couple years left in it.

    Otherwise try win 10 32bit. That has more of a chance of working.

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Mar 2018
    Posts
    74
    Post Likes
    Thread Starter
    Quote Originally Posted by MaxBurn View Post
    Well win 7 has a couple years left in it.

    Otherwise try win 10 32bit. That has more of a chance of working.
    Nah, I know 4.1 will run on a 64 bit win7 machine.

  8. #8
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    SC
    Posts
    2,184
    Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by Mikemikemike View Post
    Nah, I know 4.1 will run on a 64 bit win7 machine.
    It will, and it will have issues with certain situations. I had one where sitebuilder would crash when opening the file chooser window to go get the patch file. There was a couple other similar crashes all centering around any time it needed to look at files on disk it would crash. None of the compatibility modes helped. I wanted it on a tech laptop but I wound up putting it in a VM.

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Mar 2018
    Posts
    74
    Post Likes
    Thread Starter
    Quote Originally Posted by MaxBurn View Post
    It will, and it will have issues with certain situations. I had one where sitebuilder would crash when opening the file chooser window to go get the patch file. There was a couple other similar crashes all centering around any time it needed to look at files on disk it would crash. None of the compatibility modes helped. I wanted it on a tech laptop but I wound up putting it in a VM.
    Not surprised. I would love for their system to work seamlessly but they have what they have and they want to spend as little as possible so there it is. FWIW I suggested they flood the place and take the insurance payout but no one ever listens to me.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Contracting Business
HPAC Engineering
EC&M
CONTRACTOR