Post Likes

SO 2, ancient refrigerator

Has any one added a different refrigerant to an old SO2 system. Seems to mr i swapped SO3 for R12
    years ago and it worked. any thoughts would be welcome

Post Likes
    What did you do with the s02 ?

I have an old GE monitor top ( 1939 ?) in my basement that actually still works, but the wiring is to brittle to leave running. They say this gas is deadly, can it be diluted in water safely ?
    I'll be there when I get there and not a minute later

Post Likes
    How did this get here

Post Likes
    The gas is quite poisonous. I have an older monitor top. They can be converted to r-11, r-12 and propane. Some people have also been successful with r-134a.

http://monitortop.freeforums.net/

Post Likes
    Doubt there is any left
    First time I ran into it I had to evacuate the house.

Post Likes
    Thinking a new 4430 condensing unit and r12. Hope I don't have to change the cap tube.

Quote Originally Posted by HVAC_Marc View Post
    The gas is quite poisonous. I have an older monitor top. They can be converted to r-11, r-12 and propane. Some people have also been successful with r-134a.

http://monitortop.freeforums.net/

Post Likes
    If the original compressor works it should accept r-12 directly.

Use that forum as a resource. There's some REALLY smart people there.

Post Likes
    My father used R12 to convert the old SO2 systems back in the 1950s. It was common in many commercial reach-in's and soda fountains as well as domestic units. Many of the older units had low side floats instead of a TXV or a cap tube. If it's not sticking, they worked well to control the flooded evaporator.

You can't dilute it in water like you can NH3, you have to vent it to the outside. Pop used a roll of 1/4" copper run out the window on the downwind side.

It works well to get rid of a skunk that's hanging around the house too. The skunk is no match for the powerful SO2.

R11 wouldn't work in an R12 compressor. Propane, yes.

Post Likes
    I've got one in my back yard right now. It was for cooling fresh milk. When I saw it, I turned the pulley and all of the SO2 squirted out. Did some work for the family then asked for that as payment, they said sure.

It's a low side float system. I had some old little condensing unit sitting around, so I stuck that in there. Then had some 502 lying around that was given to me, so I used that, LOL. Still works.

Saved the original condensing unit. Spent some time on it, but couldn't get the shaft seal to be completely leak free.

Name:  20180614_173845[1].jpg
Views: 125
Size:  87.3 KB
    If you were a real tech, you'd solder a relay on that board and call it good to go.

I do a triple evac with nitro to remove non condensables.

10. Likes HVAC_Marc liked this post
    Post Likes
    you can chill beer with it.

Post Likes
    SO2 and water should result in dilute Sulfurous acid so I cannot see why this method should not work to dispose of it...

Post Likes
    That's what I used it for. For making a true lager beer. Those five gallon Cornelius kegs fit in real nice. Took some Rubitex pipe insulation and made two rings to take up the gap space since the lids were then about two inches too high.

Quote Originally Posted by HVAC_Marc View Post
    you can chill beer with it.
    If you were a real tech, you'd solder a relay on that board and call it good to go.

14. Likes HVAC_Marc liked this post
    Post Likes
    Then just dump it down your toilet. The water treatment plant will thank you. That will be just that much less acid that they have to add to neutralize the waste.

Quote Originally Posted by Juan Madera View Post
    SO2 and water should result in dilute Sulfurous acid so I cannot see why this method should not work to dispose of it...