Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by HVAC_Marc View Post
    I get that, but to say the sky will fall and the house will burn down because it's being used just isnt true. It shouldnt be used because it's a code thing, not that it's not capable of handling the load.
    I never said the sky was going to fall, but I assure you that the insulation is the weakest link in that thermostat wire. It's paper thin and exponentially more prone to deterioration than the wire designed for the application.

It's especially not meant to be involved in things like motor starting, where the starting amps are so much greater than the running amps.

Surely you've seen that stuff get brittle and break away after simply looking at it the wrong way.

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Tapatalk

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by shellkamp View Post
    Surely you've seen that stuff get brittle and break away after simply looking at it the wrong way.
    Ive seen it in far more old "romex" style wires than I have thermostat wires. The "sky is falling" comment wasnt directed at you.

Post Likes
    I've had that happen with women.

PHM
    ------

[QUOTE=shellkamp;25509515] . . . . stuff gets brittle and break away after simply looking at it the wrong way.

[QUOTE]
    PHM
    --------
    The conventional view serves to protect us from the painful job of thinking.

4. Likes HVAC_Marc, shellkamp, Tommytools, jeffpwv liked this post
    Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by billg View Post
    Unit wasn't cooling because fan belt broke.
    As you can see the motor was old as dirt ( made in USA and not oiled in who knows when) and since I wasn't going to leave the wiring like that, I advised them that the best course of action was a new motor, belt and correcting wiring, and then did so. Murphy isn't getting me on this one....
    Don't put it past Murphy to make the new motor fail.
    Is the Religious Right to blame for Christianity's decline?

They argued that, as the Religious Right became increasingly visible and militant, it became associated with Christianity itself. And if being a Christian meant being associated with the likes of Jerry Falwell, many people—especially political moderates and liberals—decided to simply stop identifying as Christians altogether.

http://www.theamericanconservative.c...nitys-decline/

6. Likes Poodle Head Mikey liked this post
    Post Likes
    Especially if the new motor is made in China...

Post Likes
    I prefer something like lamp cord for that application. It's more flexible than stat wire. A few wraps of tape, and you're good to go.
    Carpe Carp~ Seize the carp

Post Likes
    I've seen Beldon Blue Hose (DH+ and RIO communication cable) used to interlock between two machines... With 120vac through Ice Cube relays!

CT

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by HVAC_Marc View Post
    Ive seen it in far more old "romex" style wires than I have thermostat wires. The "sky is falling" comment wasnt directed at you.
    It's more common in ROMEX wire because nobody wires a motor with TSAT. If in a lab setting you were to wire 100 motors, 50 with TSTAT and 50 with ROMEX ... the results wouldn't be surprising.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by KickedGinger View Post
    It's more common in ROMEX wire because nobody wires a motor with TSAT. If in a lab setting you were to wire 100 motors, 50 with TSTAT and 50 with ROMEX ... the results wouldn't be surprising.
    Actually I think you would be very surprised at the outcome of "t-stat" wire on motors. However, I was thinking about the old paper/tar 1940s-50s rubber romex wiring. It doesnt even have to be on a motor to be brittle. If you shift it you hear crack crack crack crack as the "rubber" turns to dust.

Post Likes
    The motor needs a 4 wire stat wire - need another wire for ground.
    There is only one truly right way to do something, but there are thousands of wrong ways to varying degrees to do it.
    So the question is: If you don't do it right, then how wrong is it going to be???

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by Robber View Post
    The motor needs a 4 wire stat wire - need another wire for ground.
    +1

CT

Post Likes
    Oh man!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12