Thread: SMAN 3

Post Likes

SMAN 3

I've had this SMAN3 several years but rarely used (original batteries and not a scratch ). First the pressure on the high side would not zero. Next the vacuum on the low side would only read err. Fieldpiece said send it in plus about $275 to upgrade to a 360. Are the 360's as unreliable as the SMAN 3's? I used to be a fan because of all the other instruments I bought from them.

Post Likes
    If you go with fieldpiece i like the sman 460. Mine have been very reliable so far. I have had them three years with no special treatment and i had to replace one handle.

Post Likes
    I have the 440 and it had been flawless except for the back hook that snapped off. I just picked up the wireless and love them as well

'The more you know, the more you realize you don't know'

Post Likes
    Come to think about it my back hook broke too..... I threaded a two inch key ring and put a chain snap on it.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by Thorazine View Post
    I've had this SMAN3 several years but rarely used (original batteries and not a scratch ). First the pressure on the high side would not zero. Next the vacuum on the low side would only read err. Fieldpiece said send it in plus about $275 to upgrade to a 360. Are the 360's as unreliable as the SMAN 3's? I used to be a fan because of all the other instruments I bought from them.
    Not a bad deal, all things considered, although pulling a vacuum through a manifold is not the optimal way to evacuate. But not a bad price.

This TTT page will give you an idea of what current pricing on the sman line is.

I see no reason to buy a 400 series. You get the same thing with the 300 series, other than wireless. And to get really, really crappy wireless that is more trouble than it's worth, you have to pay an additional $200 for the JL2 transmitter.

Post Likes
    Is the 300 series 3 port or four? I prefer a four but that is just me.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by Kennyhvac View Post
    Is the 300 series 3 port or four? I prefer a four but that is just me.
    300 series is a 3 port.

Post Likes
    I bought my 460's and after about 3 months they failed with a leak in the manifold... Never were abused or dropped or anything of that nature. Got a second set on warranty and the micron gauge quit working after about a month after only doing Installs.. sent those in and they couldn't find them in their shop but knew they arrived so they said they would just ship a new set again... Ended up receiving both sets and they told me to keep the second one for the inconvenience Highly or moderately reliable who cares... their customer service is absolutely top notch!!!

Post Likes
    I have had a 360 in heavy/daily use for about 5 years. It’s been a reliable workhorse for me. The only issue I have ever had were some broken temp clamps early on, but mfg replaced them no questions asked.