Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by jjwelly View Post
    Ok thank you all for contributing! I am trying to do what I can to get up to speed with everything discussed here. One of my bids did do a quick calc when here...

@ Teddy Bear: Can you clarify what you are saying about the VS AC fan? Do you mean to buy a VS furnace/fan, or are you saying to buy a VS AC unit? Or both? None of the bids I received included an option for a VS AC unit, although they mentioned they had them. They all seem to be saying that a single or a 2 stage AC is appropriate, and to not go the VS AC route, but they all said to do the 2 stage VS furnace..

How would I include the basement in the re-circulation? Would that be just cutting vents in the supply and return ductwork? I'd be very interested in a whole house dehumidifier. We already have a humidifier..
    Looking for a VS air handler that would be in your furnace if the a/c coil sets on the furnace. The blowers are easy to fine tune and are able to operate in the recirculation mode at low speeds and energy use.
    To bad about the contractors not being aware of finer points of space conditioning. Most customers want the cheapest possible and therefore whole house dehumidifiers are suggested. The dehumidifier provides accurate humidity control during low/no sensible cooling loads and high outdoor dew points. You get accurate temp/%RH.
    I include the basements are part of the recirculation. Free cooling during the hot seasons and the basements are much more comfortable and mold free.
    Keep us posted on what you do.
    Regards Teddy Bear
    Bear Rules: Keep our home <50% RH summer, controls mites/mold and very comfortable.
    Provide 60-100 cfm of fresh air when occupied to purge indoor pollutants and keep window dry during cold weather. T-stat setup/setback +8 hrs. saves energy
    Use +Merv 10 air filter. -Don't forget the "Golden Rule"

Post Likes
    ok well they all have suggested and quoted 2 stage VS furnaces, so that should be good as far as what you are saying with low speeds. im torn currently with the bids as theres the carrier contractor that is so much cheaper than the rest. id rather go with one of the 2 trance contractors i met, as they seemed more thorough. they really arent doing much other than replacing existing equipment though. they do want to increase the size of the vertical duct work at the furnace. after hearing from everyone here, i think im going to contact a few more contractors for bids and advice.

3. Likes udarrell liked this post
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12