Post Likes

Need insight on Tampa Fl. area work

Hi everyone. So very first time on this site. Just registered and been at this trade for roughly 8 years. I do residential and light commercial mainly but spent quite a few years in industrial at an aluminum smelting plant. Thinking of moving to Tampa area and want to get a feel for what I can expect. Pay. Hourly vs commission. If u stay busy year round. Type of equipment and brand I can expect to be working on, general company benefits, how fast paced the work is, amount of residential vs commercial and difference in pay....u get the picture. Basically any insight would be well appreciated. Thx guys

Post Likes
    All these views and no viewpoints......

3. Likes Poodle Head Mikey liked this post
    Post Likes
    From what I understand good techs are in demand everywhere.

5. Likes anthonyac1 liked this post
    Post Likes
    I've heard that the pay is pretty bad. On the flip side, I have also heard the cost of living is fairly low.
    If you were a real tech, you'd solder a relay on that board and call it good to go.

I do a triple evac with nitro to remove non condensables.

Post Likes
    I spend a fair amount of time in the Tampa area - but not really involved in this business (well; except by the popular-demand of my friends <g>) and from what I see of the residential arena; I would stay out of it.

Tampa is a big and expanding city. I would think that large commercial and industrial type work would be plentiful and chillers would be running year round. And, if industrial pulls fish from the same pond as residential, they could really use a good man.

Of course; maybe I am too harsh on residential. Maybe it's like asking me about brands - because naturally they all seem to have problems - as nobody ever calls me about the ones that don't break. So what the hell; to me they All seem like breaking-down crap. <g>

Pay rates, so far as I have been able to determine, are somewhat less than the far left and the far right coasts. I imagine because of the south's well entrenched horror in regard to unions.

PHM
    --------

Quote Originally Posted by Tmyers00 View Post
    Hi everyone. So very first time on this site. Just registered and been at this trade for roughly 8 years. I do residential and light commercial mainly but spent quite a few years in industrial at an aluminum smelting plant. Thinking of moving to Tampa area and want to get a feel for what I can expect. Pay. Hourly vs commission. If u stay busy year round. Type of equipment and brand I can expect to be working on, general company benefits, how fast paced the work is, amount of residential vs commercial and difference in pay....u get the picture. Basically any insight would be well appreciated. Thx guys
    PHM
    --------
    The conventional view serves to protect us from the painful job of thinking.

Post Likes
    Thx Mikey. I'd like light to heavy commercial and plan on extensive training in refrigeration and heat pumps before I make the move. My job is good at training us but rarely sends guys from my union to chiller training as that is largely pipe fitter work. I understand I'll most likely have to go non union when I move. Rtw is killing the working man. But I have my mind set on central Florida so really anything in that area that pays well, east to west coast, is what I'm looking for. And my mind is set on moving so I simply have to find a way to make it profitable. Ideally id have myself situated in ocala as my family is there but i exoect the best pay to come from larger cities. Maybe im thinking wrong. We'll see

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by BBeerme View Post
    I've heard that the pay is pretty bad. On the flip side, I have also heard the cost of living is fairly low.
    Thx bbeeme. I know u have to rob a bank to pay for milk down there lol.

Post Likes
    We run the A/C year-round down here, but there are many snowbirds who go back up north for the summer. Labor rates in Florida are less than many place, but there is no state income tax so you get to keep more of what you make. Quality of life is top of my list of reasons for living here. I wouldn't live anywhere else.

Post Likes
    Hey thx bronz. Could you recommend some good companies to work for with my level of experience. Bout 8yrs total. residential, some light commercial and 5 years in industrial plant. Technical degree from college in hvac. Going back for more classes soon. Or even related fields outside of running calls. I'd love to better myself and grab something that makes more in this field. As far as central florida (ocala and 100 mile radius) where would u possibly recommend settling in

Post Likes
    What do you enjoy doing for fun? Do you prefer city life, small town or out in the woods? Jacksonville is 100 miles away and is a city with a small town feel. I am most familiar with it and companies there. It is probably the only area where I could advise any good companies.
    Gainesville is close to Ocala, but it is mostly a college town. Ocala is a smaller town and main employment there is government. Smaller cities like Palm Coast/Ponte Vedra Beach have small populations, lots of money, but not very many jobs. I like living near the beach even though I never go there.
    Ocala is only 80 miles from Orlando. There is a ton of money in Orlando, but the traffic is horrible. If you consider Orlando, look at suburbs like The Villages, Sanford or Lake Mary.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by Tmyers00 View Post
    Thx bbeeme. I know u have to rob a bank to pay for milk down there lol.
    Not in Ocala. In Ocala you jump your neighbors fence and milk his cow to get milk. By the way in Ocala there are not that many places to rob.

14. Likes BronzGlow liked this post
    Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by anthonyac1 View Post
    Not in Ocala. In Ocala you jump your neighbors fence and milk his cow to get milk. By the way in Ocala there are not that many places to rob.
    Lol. Well I always thought a retirement community might be profitable. The villages? Idk. Wishful thinking prolly. Trying to stay as close to fam as possible but if I have to live a couple hours from there then its just what I have to do.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by BronzGlow View Post
    What do you enjoy doing for fun? Do you prefer city life, small town or out in the woods? Jacksonville is 100 miles away and is a city with a small town feel. I am most familiar with it and companies there. It is probably the only area where I could advise any good companies.
    Gainesville is close to Ocala, but it is mostly a college town. Ocala is a smaller town and main employment there is government. Smaller cities like Palm Coast/Ponte Vedra Beach have small populations, lots of money, but not very many jobs. I like living near the beach even though I never go there.
    Ocala is only 80 miles from Orlando. There is a ton of money in Orlando, but the traffic is horrible. If you consider Orlando, look at suburbs like The Villages, Sanford or Lake Mary.
    Thx Bronx. Yeah I have fam in lady lakes. And I like that area. Beach definitely. And love city walk and Orlando night life. But honestly, I'm a Midwest river boy so as long as there's a Wal-Mart, some fast food and a grocery store I can get along well enough as long as the pay is good. That's too priority. I've heard a bunch if horror stories about hvac pay in florida and don't want to make that mistake