Post Likes

Split condenser header

A picture would say it all, but I can't post those yet. A particular customer's rack has two condensers, each split into four sections. Each section has ball valves. They manually valve off some condensers over the winter. One of the valved-off ones blew a nice-sized hole in the liquid header. Both headers have bulged spots. Apparently refrigerant migrated past the ball valves and the condenser got chock full of liquid, which doesn't compress very well when it gets warmer outside. So, condenser quoting time.

Kind of gives a new meaning to the phrase split condenser.

Post Likes
    I should add that we didn't set it up, and they do most of their own work. Not sure why they don't have a split condenser valve.

Post Likes
    Sent the Pics to my email (In my Profile) I have to see this.

4. Likes HVAC_Marc liked this post
    Post Likes
    post em up!

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by HVAC_Marc View Post
    post em up!
    Id love to but I dont have them!

In the mean time does this work?
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Post Likes

8. Likes pecmsg liked this post
    Post Likes
    pecmsg has pics.

Post Likes
    There is a code I believe which makes this illegal. Anything which can contain hydraulic pressure and be valved off must have a relief valve fitted to the can-be-isolated section.

PHM
    ------

Quote Originally Posted by disciple View Post
    A picture would say it all, but I can't post those yet. A particular customer's rack has two condensers, each split into four sections. Each section has ball valves. They manually valve off some condensers over the winter. One of the valved-off ones blew a nice-sized hole in the liquid header. Both headers have bulged spots. Apparently refrigerant migrated past the ball valves and the condenser got chock full of liquid, which doesn't compress very well when it gets warmer outside. So, condenser quoting time.

Kind of gives a new meaning to the phrase split condenser.
    PHM
    --------
    The conventional view serves to protect us from the painful job of thinking.

Post Likes
    I've heard of this being a way to control condenser size in cold weather, but I always assumed that the solenoids or ball valves would only be on the condenser inlet, and the outlet would remain open and connected to the system to prevent this sort of failure. Why would they close off both ends of the condenser sections that they wanted to disable?

Post Likes
    We had one that didn’t have a spit condesor valve manual valves on both the discharge and liquid but had a pump out line to the suction header that was left open. This was old school rack held like 2500# of 502
    Honeywell you can buy better but you cant pay more

I told my wife when i die to sell my fishing stuff for what its worth not what i told her i paid for it

13. Likes rjk_cmh liked this post
    Post Likes
    The whole point of splitting the condenser is to minimize the condenser flooding charge requirement and only experience will teach you that ball valves aren't guaranteed for 100% positive shutoff.

Here's the proper way to pipe the condenser using a 3-way heat reclaim type solenoid valve, check valves and a condenser pumpout bleed line with a capillary tube to regulate liquid flow into the suction header.

Name:  Split-Condenser-Piping-Hussmann-2013.png
Views: 72
Size:  117.3 KB

15. Likes rjk_cmh liked this post