Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345
    Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by Poodle Head Mikey View Post
    I had to get the job done and worked with what I had on site. I squirted the holes full of foam around the lines - doesn't that at least partially make up for not playing by the rules? <g>

PHM
    -----------
    Actually the two smaller holes make more sense than the one giant hole and would probably be quicker. Now I'm going to have to try it.

Post Likes
    That Hilti hammer Drill works like a charm I just bought one myself. Really excited about the upcoming winter months with this thing while we anticipate a lot of concrete walls and bricks to go through.
    Last edited by heating_chicago; 08-24-2018 at 01:17 PM. Reason: Mistake in the text

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by Bglenn525 View Post
    . All you need is a hammer drill, an apprentice, and a shopvac to clean the floor when hes done.
    🤣 Been there. Glad I’m not the bottom of the pile anymore. Especially when the hole’s 10 ft off the ground and we only have a 6 ft ladder to use.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by Poodle Head Mikey View Post
    Something that I have done for a lineset is to drill a 7/8" or 1" hole and a 1/2" hole next to it. <g>

PHM
    -------
    Every time I go to do a residential retrofit and have to change the lines when someone has done this I curse the original installer, pull everything out and blast a 2” hole through with an SDS max Bosch, especially a pain when there is a disconnect already. I can’t stand trying to work with tiny little holes it just aggravates me I rather spend the extra 10 minutes making life easy.

Probably my worst nightmare apart from drilling holes in the wrong place on several occasions was going through an old 20” thick fieldstone foundation hitting solid chunks of granite and god knows what else, that one took a long time.

Post Likes
    Don't drill multiple holes. Drill one hole between 2.5" - 3" and then seal the outside of it with plumbers putty, volkum, buffalo snot, whatever you want to call that grey non - hardening stuff. On the inside you can spray some foam. Personally I like to go a step farther and drill a slightly larger hole so I can use a 3 inch piece of grey PVC as a wall sleeve. Ive also started using the rectorseal 2.5 wall sleeve on resi walls above grade and concrete.

Sent from my SM-S327VL using Tapatalk

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by Bglenn525 View Post
    I cant believe so many people have replied with ridiculous answers. I thought this was a pretty common thing for resi guys? Get a hilti drill and the size bit you need. You dont need dust collection, wall mounts, water lines, etc. All you need is a hammer drill, an apprentice, and a shopvac to clean the floor when hes done. I drilled through a 18” brick wall a few weeks ago with a 4” hilti core bit in less than an hour
    Silica Dust is a long term hazard. You don't see the effect the next day, you see it years and years later from repeated inhalation.

The long term effects of coal dust inhalation only became well known after the miner's unions pushed the envelope on long term health issues. Then medical people became involved, then the cause and prevention became known. Then 'regs' were passed and prevention became acceoted practice. That transpired over 25-30 +/- years, and this is really summarized.

Silica dust has similarities, big difference is this about the mid point of the 25-30 year time frame. Think about that.

7. Likes HVAC_Marc liked this post
    Post Likes
    one good smack with a 4 pound hammer right in the core of the block would work. lol

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by Stevejoe11 View Post
    Probably my worst nightmare apart from drilling holes in the wrong place on several occasions was going through an old 20” thick fieldstone foundation hitting solid chunks of granite and god knows what else, that one took a long time.
    Or when your green helper can't hold a bit straight and you end up with a curved hole .smh

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345