+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Fireplace Gas Valve Replacement Help Needed

Post Likes

Fireplace Gas Valve Replacement Help Needed

Hello experts, I could really use some help in determining a repair.
    I have a 25 year old Canadian made Kingsman Industries natural Gas fireplace and it has a White Rogers gas valve in it.
    The gas valve's plastic dial broke on me, and is a bit of a nuisance to turn on and off when wanting to start the pilot and use the fireplace at the beginning of a fall/winter season.
    The model is:
    White Rogers
    36c03U- Type 139 Milivolt system
    I am unable to locate an exact replacement and am not receiving any help from the supplier, other fireplace retailers,being these valves are old.
    I certainly don't want to replace a fireplace because of a broken dial on a gas valve, so I'm seeking help as to what my replacement options are? All the new ones seem to have a lot higher BTU's than this unit, so I'm at wits end
    I've attached photos of the valve and when it was connected.
    Much Appreciated.
    Attached Images Attached Images   

Post Likes
    almost any millivolt gas valve will work, provided it fits. the btus on the gas valve rating are maximum flow. some start at 0 some have a dedicated range. your tech will be able to figure out the correct valve to use. we really cant help with DIY due to site rules.
    Nest is POO!!

Post Likes
    Is the "type" reference just the issue of the valve, or does it indicate anything I should be aware of. I see 36C03U Type 300 and 333's milivot units all over the place just no older units such as mine?
    Much Appreciated

Quote Originally Posted by HVAC_Marc View Post
    almost any millivolt gas valve will work, provided it fits. the btus on the gas valve rating are maximum flow. some start at 0 some have a dedicated range. your tech will be able to figure out the correct valve to use. we really cant help with DIY due to site rules.

Post Likes
    the type is usually an OEM code that indicates special functions or makings for specific secondary manufacturers.
    Nest is POO!!

Post Likes
    the tech can reference W/R document 0037-7349 if he has any questions
    Nest is POO!!

Post Likes
    Speaking with Technical services at White Rogers Canada, the Type 139 was discontinued in 1998, the 300 discontinues in 2004 probably is the same unit,
    different name.
    I think I can locate a 300 milivolt around

Quote Originally Posted by HVAC_Marc View Post
    the type is usually an OEM code that indicates special functions or makings for specific secondary manufacturers.

Post Likes
    you shouldnt be locating anything. the tech should. you're getting into DIY that this site doesnt promote.
    Nest is POO!!

Post Likes
    Have you tried calling Kingsman directly. They are based in Winnipeg MB Canada.

Post Likes

Kingsman

I called them twice to see if they could be of any help and were of no help, just stating that the valve is 22 years old and didn't have any replacements.
    Won't be buying another Kingsman for sure!!

Quote Originally Posted by robatnorfolk View Post
    Have you tried calling Kingsman directly. They are based in Winnipeg MB Canada.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by postman56 View Post
    I called them twice to see if they could be of any help and were of no help, just stating that the valve is 22 years old and didn't have any replacements.
    Won't be buying another Kingsman for sure!!
    Why not? You got 25 years out of it. Just break down and call a tech they might have a scrapped unit they can pull a valve from or do the proper legwork to source you a valve that would work most suppliers aren't going to sell gas stuff to the public for liability reasons. Personally at 25 years I'd just give the fireplace a gold watch and a retirement party and send it on out the door.

11. Likes BALloyd, JeffWil liked this post.
+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in