+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 53 FirstFirst 12345678910111215 ... LastLast

Thread: Itsiceman style big ass evac hoses Worth it?

Post Likes
    Itsiceman, this is a little off topic but I've been a longtime lurker on this site and notice that you show up a lot in vacuum threads. Looking for some advice. I just bought a CPS vp2d 2cfm, 2 stage w/ a gas ballast from ebay for $150 mostly on poodle head mikeys advice that you don't need a high cfm pump for residential. I thought I read somewhere you said you were still unsure how important a high cfm pump is. Anyhow, I had been using my coworkers 5cfm w/ (1) 1/2" appion hose on the suction line and it works great for mostly 3 ton and under new installs.

Getting a pump of my own, my idea is that the 2 cfm should be plenty and would also be smaller to store and lighter to carry. I was planning on using an Appion (1) 4 foot 3/8 hose on the suction side because I've read 2cfm is about what you'll get out of it. Do you think my vacuums would still be in the ball park of what I was getting with the 5cfm + 1/2" hose? Would you recommend going with a hose bigger than 3/8 so that the 2cfm pump would pull faster at lower micron levels?

I am considering trying to build a hose setup of my own like you use or waiting for the accutools hoses to be released but don't know if this is all worth it with just a 2cfm pump. Thanks, I really enjoy your posts and videos.

Post Likes
    Ice-
    How low can you pull just the hoses, and did it do it right away, or after an extended off gas vacuum session?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Post Likes

Itsiceman style big ass evac hoses Worth it?

Double post

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by derrickb View Post
    Itsiceman, this is a little off topic but I've been a longtime lurker on this site and notice that you show up a lot in vacuum threads. Looking for some advice. I just bought a CPS vp2d 2cfm, 2 stage w/ a gas ballast from ebay for $150 mostly on poodle head mikeys advice that you don't need a high cfm pump for residential. I thought I read somewhere you said you were still unsure how important a high cfm pump is. Anyhow, I had been using my coworkers 5cfm w/ (1) 1/2" appion hose on the suction line and it works great for mostly 3 ton and under new installs.

Getting a pump of my own, my idea is that the 2 cfm should be plenty and would also be smaller to store and lighter to carry. I was planning on using an Appion (1) 4 foot 3/8 hose on the suction side because I've read 2cfm is about what you'll get out of it. Do you think my vacuums would still be in the ball park of what I was getting with the 5cfm + 1/2" hose? Would you recommend going with a hose bigger than 3/8 so that the 2cfm pump would pull faster at lower micron levels?

I am considering trying to build a hose setup of my own like you use or waiting for the accutools hoses to be released but don't know if this is all worth it with just a 2cfm pump. Thanks, I really enjoy your posts and videos.
    If you get just one appion megaflow hose, that would be capable of 2.57 cfm at 1000 microns (assuming 3/8 id)
    3/8 (assuming 1/4 id) hose would be .25 cfm at that same vacuum level

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by derrickb View Post

I made a set of 3/4” hoses to use with the 1.35 CFM pump I have.
    Personally if I didn't feel like messing with it just get the 1/2 hoses. The combo with the core tool seems like the best deal.
    I believe even at 4 ft the 3/8 will start to choak that pump 2 CFM pump.

Post Likes
    Wow! I didn't expect such a difference. In other words, using just one 1/2" hose, the difference between a 2cfm pump and a 5 cfm pump (assuming equal pump quality) would even out at lower microns because the hose capability itself trends towards 2 cfm and dropping?

Thanks for the reply, I was actually considering saving for one of the fieldpiece vacuums and reconsidered after your review. I'm sure they're good pumps but for the way I pull vacuums it seems the extra money wouldn't have gained a lot. The oil change feature etc. is kind of nice though.

At my first job my boss had each truck set up with a tez 8 and we pulled with cores in and through an sman 4.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by itsiceman View Post
    I made a set of 3/4” hoses to use with the 1.35 CFM pump I have.
    Personally if I didn't feel like messing with it just get the 1/2 hoses. The combo with the core tool seems like the best deal.
    I believe even at 4 ft the 3/8 will start to choak that pump 2 CFM pump.
    Thanks! I'm going to do that.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by heatingman View Post
    Ice-
    How low can you pull just the hoses, and did it do it right away, or after an extended off gas vacuum session?

The best I had was about 15 microns reading at the end of one hose but two connected. It takes a while to get that low. They seem to pull better with age but I think I was fighting leaks with the barb fittings and worm hear clamps early on but would still easily pull double digits or however low my pump was running that day.

Here is one time. The video doesn't show me flipping the power switch but it was flipped right at the moment the video started. This was maybe the day after I made the hose.

https://youtu.be/YRK75LvPjJE

Post Likes
    HM these are 5' hoses
    Not sure how long you went with. I have some longer pieces but didn't get to building them yet.

Post Likes
    I bought 20 ft in total, so I made 4) 5’ hoses.

Right now I think Im having some leak issues. Wont pull much below 150 with the hoses on. Pulls 20 no problem with the factory manifold in place.

The leaks have to be pretty small, but they must be there just the same.

Working on sorting that right now.

Post Likes
    You know what... My bad
    I got 20 ft also.
    The ones I've been using are 3 footers. Got two 7 footers yet to make.

Here's the start of a 3/4" PVC when. OD is 1-1/16” fits snug in the 1" hose

Name:  IMG_20180606_192525592-600x1067.jpg
Views: 385
Size:  234.1 KB
    “If You Can Dodge A Wrench You Can Dodge A Ball”

Post Likes
    The 3 footers would definitely flow better.

That wye looks promising.

You gonna melt it to fuse?

Post Likes
    Super glue. Just seeing. If it works better I'll make it from copper.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by heatingman View Post
    The 3 footers would definitely flow better.

That wye looks promising.

You gonna melt it to fuse?

Just imagine, you might be able to cobble together a fantastic vacuum setup using spare drain line piping!

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Tapatalk

Post Likes
    Lol

Post Likes
    On a side note- I wont be reworking the FP pump - I just sold it.

I might look into getting one of those NRP 12 CFM pumps. Looks like the handle might be located in a manner that may make it easier to put a big vac manifold on it.

Post Likes
    So first run. Before I started my pump is only pulling to 100 with the 3 footers so oil is in bad shape. With the PVC wye and one 7 foot hose I pulled 200 in 9 mins. The other day that was 12 mins with one 3 foot hose, perpendicular tee and 90°

Post Likes
    Im starting to think that the OA temp and humidity is really playing a factor.

Over the weekend it was in the 65 to 70 degree range. Now its 70 to 80 and its slowing me down a ton.

Wonder if my wye arrangement was decent after all

Took 5 minutes to 250 microns before was 3:57 with my first full size manifold with the bull tee set up. For 2 hoses.

Now its 5 minutes with a flow through tee.

Nevermind the electrical tape - that was for troubleshooting joint leaks that did not exist.

Gonna tinker more tomorrow probably.

Post Likes
    The warmer it is the faster it should go.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by itsiceman View Post
    So first run. Before I started my pump is only pulling to 100 with the 3 footers so oil is in bad shape. With the PVC wye and one 7 foot hose I pulled 200 in 9 mins. The other day that was 12 mins with one 3 foot hose, perpendicular tee and 90°
    Is that a 30 lb tank

I thought that video you posted had you at 200 with 1 hose in like 2 minutes on a 30 lb

Either way thats a big improvement.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 53 FirstFirst 12345678910111215 ... LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in