Post Likes

Coldspot through the wall air conditioner stopped blowing cold air

I have an old Sears wall unit (Coldspot, 13k btu, model#: 106 741390, S/N: E40748878, Refrigerant 22) that had been working fine until recently. Everything else seems to be working except it stopped blowing cold air. (I know I can get a new one but before I do I'd like to understand what's likely to be wrong with itName:  Outside right.jpg
Views: 454
Size:  174.1 KBName:  Outside left.jpg
Views: 283
Size:  167.0 KBName:  Outside front.jpg
Views: 315
Size:  136.4 KBName:  Inside front.jpg
Views: 337
Size:  90.4 KB.) Could it be that the refrigerant needs replacing? If so, how?

Post Likes
    it's pretty beat.

refrigerant is replaced through access ports a tech uses with his temperature and pressure gauges. Refrigerant is not a consumable, so if you have a leak (and you may not), replacing the unit is the best option.

Post Likes
    Generally speaking; a refrigerant related problem tends to happen slowly; performance degrading over time. An electrical related problem tends to have suddenly. That is; all at once the system stops performing.

It's all pure speculation for me at this far-away distance but the above is generally acurate.

PHM
    ------

Quote Originally Posted by HVACJPao View Post
    I have an old Sears wall unit (Coldspot, 13k btu, model#: 106 741390, S/N: E40748878, Refrigerant 22) that had been working fine until recently. Everything else seems to be working except it stopped blowing cold air. (I know I can get a new one but before I do I'd like to understand what's likely to be wrong with itName:  Outside right.jpg
Views: 454
Size:  174.1 KBName:  Outside left.jpg
Views: 283
Size:  167.0 KBName:  Outside front.jpg
Views: 315
Size:  136.4 KBName:  Inside front.jpg
Views: 337
Size:  90.4 KB.) Could it be that the refrigerant needs replacing? If so, how?
    PHM
    --------
    The conventional view serves to protect us from the painful job of thinking.

Post Likes
    Thanks, Guys. I turned it on again and didn't hear the compressor kicking in. Any recommendations on a replacement? This is a single-person master bedroom (13' x 11' and change) pretty packed with furniture. I'd like one that can turn on and off at a set temperature and relatively quiet.

Post Likes
    Haier makes a nice line of 'window units'. Pretty quiet. Somewhat pricey for the good ones - but you get what you pay for I think.

PHM
    ------

Quote Originally Posted by HVACJPao View Post
    Thanks, Guys. I turned it on again and didn't hear the compressor kicking in. Any recommendations on a replacement? This is a single-person master bedroom (13' x 11' and change) pretty packed with furniture. I'd like one that can turn on and off at a set temperature and relatively quiet.
    PHM
    --------
    The conventional view serves to protect us from the painful job of thinking.

6. Likes HVAC_Marc liked this post.
    Post Likes
    Ive ALWAYS had a good experience with Haier products. A one ton unit is kind of big. make sure that it fits the wall hole before purchase.