Page 6 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast
    Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by mark beiser View Post
    Apparently the iDVM550 doesn't like my older hardware.
    My Galaxy Tab E and old 3G iPad are unable to connect with it at all, and connecting and disconnecting it with my Galaxy Note 5 makes the Bluetooth connections with my Fieldpiece probes go berserk in MeasureQuick.
    From the iDVM550 specs
    App compatibility:

Requires Android 4.3 or newer
    Requires iOS 8.3 or newer

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Bill Spohn
    President & CEO
    www.TruTechTools.com

Where the grass is green and the girls are pretty
    Post Likes
    It's Bluetooth LE

Post Likes
    Well, I finally got it working on my android tablet, though I've no idea what I did different than the other times.
    I got it to connect in MQ on my iPad, but the TecLink app doesn't work at all, gives the loading screen, then goes to just a white screen.

Phone and Tab E are Android 7, iPad is IOS 10.
    I've had no real issues with the Fieldpiece probes in MQ.

Post Likes
    Ive been finally using the 550 with MQ and Iconnect etc and what i dont know is how are we using the output Data for PF and what not as a tool to tell our customer what? what does the PF do? are we using this on the entire Condensers or just the Fan?

Ive been generally putting the clamp around a 120 leg L1 in on contactor and volts across l1/l2 and in KW mode it spits out these numbers, for what? same with an AH or furnace.. now ma i doing it wrong are we only reading Fan motor PF or the entire units?

are their charts to compare and use the PF output to judge what is fair, good, or bad numbers? i saw on FB you were confused and now im more confused LOL

heck the 550 is great simply to use inside an ah/Furnace to get AMP draws with doors on and doing Load Cap tests etc and to record volt and amp draw at time of service in the snap shot..other then that im lost

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by acguytx View Post
    Ive been finally using the 550 with MQ and Iconnect etc and what i dont know is how are we using the output Data for PF and what not as a tool to tell our customer what? what does the PF do? are we using this on the entire Condensers or just the Fan?

Ive been generally putting the clamp around a 120 leg L1 in on contactor and volts across l1/l2 and in KW mode it spits out these numbers, for what? same with an AH or furnace.. now ma i doing it wrong are we only reading Fan motor PF or the entire units?

are their charts to compare and use the PF output to judge what is fair, good, or bad numbers? i saw on FB you were confused and now im more confused LOL

heck the 550 is great simply to use inside an ah/Furnace to get AMP draws with doors on and doing Load Cap tests etc and to record volt and amp draw at time of service in the snap shot..other then that im lost
    Power factor is simply the cosine of the phase angle.
    It’s telling you what amount of power you’re using is true power vs apparent power. Apparent power is E x I or kVA. In reality it makes no difference to residential customers because they don’t pay for poor power factor. Residents only pay for true watts. Commercial properties pay for poor power factor.
    What it can do is help to more accurately calculate the efficiency of the system.
    "The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing" Socrates

Post Likes
    Sad day, either mine is defective, or the iDVM550 is not useful for checking the resistance through compressor windings that are less than one ohm, or voltage drop across electrical contacts that are less than 0.1v.

I was under the impression that this meter could replace my aging Fieldpiece SC56 for cooling season electrical diagnostics, so I'm hoping this is just some kind of defect, otherwise I would not have bought it.
    I understand it brings other features to the table, and I was willing to work around the cumbersome jaws, and lack of microamp readings, but not with having to go back to pulling out 2 meters, especially when using the cool features of the clamp meter would mean also dealing with 2 sets of leads, every call...

Name:  RFres.jpg
Views: 209
Size:  260.9 KBName:  FPres.jpg
Views: 212
Size:  242.4 KBName:  RFvd.jpg
Views: 206
Size:  251.2 KBName:  FPvd.jpg
Views: 209
Size:  271.0 KB

Post Likes
    Looks like the pf feature is for getting a more accurate EER calc

8. Likes vin lashon liked this post
    Post Likes
    Mark,

As far as resistance, I am not surprised. I know you are getting a reading on your other meter, but neither is accurate in that low range. You need one more significant digit to really know anything.

As far as voltage, you may have not made good contact with the other meter? All we know for sure at this point is the two meters are reading differently. I cannot be sure why without testing it. If you want us to, I can bench test it. The iDVM550 has more than enough accuracy and resolution in that range. I had one of our engineers grab one off the shelf and bench test it against an O-scope and the one we tested like all of the others was well within the specificaitions. There are not any "calibration adjustments" in any modern meters. Calibration is a function of the meter components. We can test it if you like, but I do not think we will find any difference. They are made to very exacting specifications. That is a pretty high-end meter.

Aside from factory testing, both Redfish and Supco tested the meters to verify that they meet the accuracy specifications.

Thanks let me know if you want me to look into it further.

Jim
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    JLB,

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by jim bergmann View Post
    Mark,

As far as resistance, I am not surprised. I know you are getting a reading on your other meter, but neither is accurate in that low range. You need one more significant digit to really know anything.
    I have meters that will more accurately measure low resistances, but the SC56 has proven to be adequate for basic diagnostics when checking C-R, C-S, and R-S,as well as having the range to check compressors to ground, like I was doing on that compressor when I found the start lead burned off at the capacitor.
    Obviously not as well as a good multimeter and megohm meter for the 2 tasks, but adequate for basic diagnostics.

The iDVM550 was showing 0.0 ohms between common and run, indicating a potential bad compressor, fortunately I always double check such things with a good multimeter before condemning a compressor.
    I didn't take pictures of the multimeter readings, but they agreed with the SC56.

I've gotten accustomed to only having to carry one meter in my normal tool bag setup, and was hoping to be able to continue that with the 550.
    Looking more closely at the specs for it now, I realize it is my own fault for not looking more closely before.

It is an excellent clamp meter, and brings extra functions to the party, so it won't be sitting around collecting dust like my Fluke 337 does.
    Last edited by mark beiser; 04-19-2019 at 04:22 PM.

Post Likes
    Are there any other power factor meters available on the market at a reasonable price? I understand the purpose of this meter, to be used with the iconnect/measurequick and get a accurate system performance profile.

Its cool stuff but, seems it could have done volts, amps and pf and called it a day then you would continue to carry your everyday “multi meter” for diagnostics.

How many folks here that own the iconnect are using this feature on a regular basis? Do your customers appreciate the latent and sensible capacity calcs, gallons per hour ect?

Another question mark, how bad was the pf at your house? The befault is set to .95 for the app. You should profile you home system and use the default pf and the actual pf and post the results here:-)

Post Likes
    Looking more closely at the specs for both meters, the iDVM550 has better accuracy ratings than the SC56, but it doesn't have as low of a voltage or resistance range, so very small voltages and resistances get lost in the +/- of the meters accuracy.

The iDVM550 is a fantastic clamp meter, just not a substitute for a multimeter, and to be fair, it wasn't claimed to be.

Post Likes
    I suppose the power factor of the circuit would be more pertinent to calculating the eer as opposed to the house as a whole?

Is there not data or standards for the power factor of a motor? Are ecms way off or something? Do control boards stray it much?? Whats all the hype about people? This is a residential targeted tool.

Is it really worth it to put down three hundo on a tool that more accurately gives you numbers that home owns haven’t the slightest clue about or care about.

Maybe one day the eer of a system will be similar to the automotive emission standards of today that some states implement. Then every company will have a bunch of techs walking around with gauges smarter than they are. Lol.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by Core_d View Post
    I suppose the power factor of the circuit would be more pertinent to calculating the eer as opposed to the house as a whole?

Is there not data or standards for the power factor of a motor? Are ecms way off or something? Do control boards stray it much?? Whats all the hype about people? This is a residential targeted tool.

Is it really worth it to put down three hundo on a tool that more accurately gives you numbers that home owns haven’t the slightest clue about or care about.

Maybe one day the eer of a system will be similar to the automotive emission standards of today that some states implement. Then every company will have a bunch of techs walking around with gauges smarter than they are. Lol.

There is quite a bit on the way still, but improvement in EER is an important feature, and customers do understand an increase in efficiency. We will be quantifying savings in some of the reporting. This would be helpful for capacitor change outs, evaporator/condenser cleaning, and refrigerant charge issues.

Second, the power factor will be used for power factor correction on PSC motors/compressors. Lower power factor means additional heat at the compressor or blower motor and a resulting loss in efficiency. It is also a measure of capacitor health.

Fan watt draw is an important measurement for the efficiency of the indoor fan, again something the homeowner will understand and we will be able to quantify savings.
    JLB,

15. Likes TruTech-Bill liked this post
Page 6 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast