Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast
    Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by acguytx View Post
    and a picture and info..it seems as if this is the unicorn of tools lol
    Here are the initial specifications and accuracy statements, they are subject to small changes, but they are pretty well locked in. We are hoping to have the beta units by the middle of the month for final approval and inventory in August. We found a few bugs with the alpha unit that resulted in delays, but it will be worth the wait. We have a lot of plans on the app side that will make it an exciting product.

Thanks

Jim
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Attached Images Attached Images
    JLB,

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by jim bergmann View Post
    Here are the initial specifications and accuracy statements, they are subject to small changes, but they are pretty well locked in. We are hoping to have the beta units by the middle of the month for final approval and inventory in August. We found a few bugs with the alpha unit that resulted in delays, but it will be worth the wait. We have a lot of plans on the app side that will make it an exciting product.

Thanks

Jim
    thanks

Post Likes
    Jim, am I reading this right, the iDVM 550 doesn't do DC amps, and doesn't do DC microamps?
    Hi, my name is Glenn, and I'm a Toolaholic!

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by Glenn Harrison View Post
    Jim, am I reading this right, the iDVM 550 doesn't do DC amps, and doesn't do DC microamps?
    I don't see them either.

So a 2 meter set up for complete HVAC techs.
    The Food Stamp Program, administered by the U.S. Department of Agriculture, is proud to be distributing the greatest amount of free meals and stamps EVER.
    Meanwhile, the National Park Service, administered by the U.S. Department of the Interior, asks us to "Please Do Not Feed the Animals". Their stated reason for this policy "... the animals become dependent on handouts and will not learn to take care of themselves."
    from an excerpt by Paul Jacob in Sun City, AZ

Post Likes
    Maybe in next year's model

Post Likes
    Those are features in the iDVM510. We added another meter to cover the next set of measurements. The problem with a single meter for everything is it does not do somethings well, or it gets so clunky that it is hard to use. The only way to get the range and the resolution and measurement quality that we needed, in this case, was to do two meters. To be honest, I do not think I have ever carried a single meter in my career.

The big feature to the 550 is power measurement, PF, THD, and volts and amps at the same time. We needed multiple ranges of power for a high and low range. While some of you may not be measuring power now, I am sure you will see it coming. We already see it in California where we measure fan watt draw. It is also needed for EER.
    JLB,

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by jim bergmann View Post
    Those are features in the iDVM510. We added another meter to cover the next set of measurements. The problem with a single meter for everything is it does not do somethings well, or it gets so clunky that it is hard to use. The only way to get the range and the resolution and measurement quality that we needed, in this case, was to do two meters. To be honest, I do not think I have ever carried a single meter in my career.

The big feature to the 550 is power measurement, PF, THD, and volts and amps at the same time. We needed multiple ranges of power for a high and low range. While some of you may not be measuring power now, I am sure you will see it coming. We already see it in California where we measure fan watt draw. It is also needed for EER.
    What is THD?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by heatingman View Post
    What is THD?
    Total Harmonic Distortion, a measurement of noise on the line.

Post Likes
    so maybe im tired and not fully awake but what do those measure on hvac systems? Variable speed Motors and the like? i rarely use dc maybe working on my vehicle testing 12v stuff etc..enlighten me on what id be missing on not having these functions in the HVAC field?

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by acguytx View Post
    so maybe im tired and not fully awake but what do those measure on hvac systems? Variable speed Motors and the like? i rarely use dc maybe working on my vehicle testing 12v stuff etc..enlighten me on what id be missing on not having these functions in the HVAC field?
    Power is used for EER and approximate SEER. You need a true power meter to do this as Volts x amps x Power Factor actually equal Watts in an A/C circuit.

THD is used to identify noise and intern circuits that are overheating, becoming much more common with digital switching. (electronic loads) This typically results in overheating the neutral

We measure and correct power factor, low being the cause of excessive current draw and high utility bills. Many times you will see a shift in power factor as a result of a failing capacitor.

Inrush, current and its duration are used to identify the need for moving a load to another circuit or the addition of a hard start to a compressor.

Additionally, the meter has a very high-resolution clamp for high accuracy measurements of low current loads.

Last, we are making a full diagnostic app behind it to assist with identification of these problems.
    JLB,

Post Likes
    So is the 550 an amp clamp?

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by lytning View Post
    So is the 550 an amp clamp?
    Yes
    JLB,

Where the grass is green and the girls are pretty
    Post Likes
    Cool
    No wonder it took a little longer.