+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: Redfish idvm 550

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by heatingman View Post
    What is THD?
    Total Harmonic Distortion, a measurement of noise on the line.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by Glenn Harrison View Post
    Jim, am I reading this right, the iDVM 550 doesn't do DC amps, and doesn't do DC microamps?
    so maybe im tired and not fully awake but what do those measure on hvac systems? Variable speed Motors and the like? i rarely use dc maybe working on my vehicle testing 12v stuff etc..enlighten me on what id be missing on not having these functions in the HVAC field?

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by acguytx View Post
    so maybe im tired and not fully awake but what do those measure on hvac systems? Variable speed Motors and the like? i rarely use dc maybe working on my vehicle testing 12v stuff etc..enlighten me on what id be missing on not having these functions in the HVAC field?
    Power is used for EER and approximate SEER. You need a true power meter to do this as Volts x amps x Power Factor actually equal Watts in an A/C circuit.

THD is used to identify noise and intern circuits that are overheating, becoming much more common with digital switching. (electronic loads) This typically results in overheating the neutral

We measure and correct power factor, low being the cause of excessive current draw and high utility bills. Many times you will see a shift in power factor as a result of a failing capacitor.

Inrush, current and its duration are used to identify the need for moving a load to another circuit or the addition of a hard start to a compressor.

Additionally, the meter has a very high-resolution clamp for high accuracy measurements of low current loads.

Last, we are making a full diagnostic app behind it to assist with identification of these problems.
    JLB,

Post Likes
    So is the 550 an amp clamp?

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by lytning View Post
    So is the 550 an amp clamp?
    Yes
    JLB,

Post Likes
    Cool
    No wonder it took a little longer.

Post Likes
    Great
    TE=jim bergmann;25502914]Yes[/QUOTE]

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by jim bergmann View Post
    Those are features in the iDVM510. We added another meter to cover the next set of measurements. The problem with a single meter for everything is it does not do somethings well, or it gets so clunky that it is hard to use. The only way to get the range and the resolution and measurement quality that we needed, in this case, was to do two meters. To be honest, I do not think I have ever carried a single meter in my career.

The big feature to the 550 is power measurement, PF, THD, and volts and amps at the same time. We needed multiple ranges of power for a high and low range. While some of you may not be measuring power now, I am sure you will see it coming. We already see it in California where we measure fan watt draw. It is also needed for EER.
    Well I see your point of view. This is unfortunately the battle I have had with Fluke, but coming from you if a couple of features have to be sacrificed in the name of quality and accuracy, so be it, and I believe that coming from you Jim.
    I'm just not getting any younger, and I really am trying to keep my bag as light as possible.

This poses another question, is there a DC amp clamp coming in the future, either in the form of a clamp meter or plug in clamp accessory? Obviously as time goes on there are and continue to be more things that need DC amp measurements.

Post Likes
    I get inrush current and true power, definitely useful, but do 90% of HVAC techs need THD in ordered harmonics? Or, was that just a side result of gaining the power measurement? Do we really need 1000A reading? I've never seen anything any where near 600A.
    "The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing" Socrates

Post Likes
    updates on the 550 for sale release?

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by acguytx View Post
    updates on the 550 for sale release?
    We finally have some hard dates, and we are in production now. I am guessing that the products will go into retail right at the first of the year. The good news is it will be woth the wait.
    JLB,

Post Likes
    I know there are always trade offs but damn I really wish there was a good clamp meter that also did millivolts and microamps dc. Would be nice to only carry one meter in the bag.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by Boiler Guy View Post
    I know there are always trade offs but damn I really wish there was a good clamp meter that also did millivolts and microamps dc. Would be nice to only carry one meter in the bag.
    We did look at that. In the end, a meter that does everything does not do everything well. A meter is a function of the components that it is made of. When you start trying to measure a very wide range the meter either gets ridiculously expensive or simply says it can do something that it cannot. I have seen a lot of good meters on paper that does not perform well in the field. With the wide range of measurements that we needed a two-meter solution simply made more sense.
    JLB,

Post Likes
    And dollars.
    Quote Originally Posted by jim bergmann View Post
    We did look at that. In the end, a meter that does everything does not do everything well. A meter is a function of the components that it is made of. When you start trying to measure a very wide range the meter either gets ridiculously expensive or simply says it can do something that it cannot. I have seen a lot of good meters on paper that does not perform well in the field. With the wide range of measurements that we needed a two-meter solution simply made more sense.

Post Likes
    I saw an advertisement for this and cannot find it again.

Is it available now?
    The Food Stamp Program, administered by the U.S. Department of Agriculture, is proud to be distributing the greatest amount of free meals and stamps EVER.
    Meanwhile, the National Park Service, administered by the U.S. Department of the Interior, asks us to "Please Do Not Feed the Animals". Their stated reason for this policy "... the animals become dependent on handouts and will not learn to take care of themselves."
    from an excerpt by Paul Jacob in Sun City, AZ

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by pacnw View Post
    I saw an advertisement for this and cannot find it again.

Is it available now?
    Mid-February.
    JLB,

Post Likes
    Tru-Tech first available?

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by davejohnsonnola View Post
    Tru-Tech first available?
    I am guessing that they will get an order in early. Supco is the distributor, so they will go to them first.
    JLB,

Post Likes
    Where are the meters manufactured?

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by GoCougs View Post
    Where are the meters manufactured?
    just guessing. In Jim's basement?

21. Likes GoCougs liked this post.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in