Page 7 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast
    Post Likes
    If you can do eer and price per kwh there is no reason you cant do price per btu correct?

I have no problem replacing a weak capacitor with a USA Amrad capacitor. It may be the simplest and most useful thing i do as a human.

If the capacitor is weak its easy to show the customer as the capacitance is clearly labeled as well as the tolerance. Then i explain how well amrads perform.

If your not replacing a capacitor with an amrad your doing a disservice to your customer in my opinion.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by Core_d View Post
    Are there any other power factor meters available on the market at a reasonable price? I understand the purpose of this meter, to be used with the iconnect/measurequick and get a accurate system performance profile.

Its cool stuff but, seems it could have done volts, amps and pf and called it a day then you would continue to carry your everyday “multi meter” for diagnostics.

How many folks here that own the iconnect are using this feature on a regular basis? Do your customers appreciate the latent and sensible capacity calcs, gallons per hour ect?

Another question mark, how bad was the pf at your house? The befault is set to .95 for the app. You should profile you home system and use the default pf and the actual pf and post the results here:-)
    The Testo 770-3 does PF. It runs about $50 less than the idvm550. I haven't held the 550 in my hand, but it looks like a better quality meter (than the 770-3). It strikes me as 'solid'. I haven't compared the specs between the two. The Testo seems to have an issue with amps in that the display will show .2-.3a when just sitting idle (no load being measured). Other users have mentioned it also. Not sure how much that effects the PF result. IDK if the 770-3 is 'compatible' with MQ. One thing I do like about the 770-3 is the clamp jaw...it's easier to grab a wire. I've often used it for obtaining PF when using my iConnect (have to enter the electrical measurements, including PF, manually).

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by vin lashon View Post
    The Testo 770-3 does PF. It runs about $50 less than the idvm550. I haven't held the 550 in my hand, but it looks like a better quality meter (than the 770-3). It strikes me as 'solid'. I haven't compared the specs between the two. The Testo seems to have an issue with amps in that the display will show .2-.3a when just sitting idle (no load being measured). Other users have mentioned it also. Not sure how much that effects the PF result. IDK if the 770-3 is 'compatible' with MQ. One thing I do like about the 770-3 is the clamp jaw...it's easier to grab a wire. I've often used it for obtaining PF when using my iConnect (have to enter the electrical measurements, including PF, manually).
    Have you noticed a wide variety of PF? Guess it depend on the equipment? Seems an outdoor unit would have two inductive loads and two capacitive loads and cancel each other out...hard to say what an ecm might do.

Post Likes
    BTW i just now got your name vin lashon haha

Post Likes
    Have you noticed a wide variety of PF? Guess it depend on the equipment? Seems an outdoor unit would have two inductive loads and two capacitive loads and cancel each other out...hard to say what an ecm might do.
    If you mean in my area...generally between 95 & 100. It always varies a bit until the system stabilizes.

My PFs (at condenser) differ on depending if I'm (amp) clamped on the compressor Run or Common (meter leads on contactor @ voltage in). After system stabilization, (amp) clamped on Common varies widely. Clamped on Run shows a consistent PF. It generally falls between 95-100. My comments refer to resi single ph systems. I'm not sure why the difference between Common and Run exist.

BTW i just now got your name vin lashon haha
    You would be the first.

Where the grass is green and the girls are pretty
    Post Likes
    Took me a minute. Didn't realize till core mentioned it.

Post Likes
    Is this meter unable to do Common, Start, and Run winding ohms testing?

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by knave View Post
    Is this meter unable to do Common, Start, and Run winding ohms testing?
    So far mine doesn't do well measuring common to run on single phase compressors, or winding resistances of 3 phase compressors.

By the specs for it, it seems like it should give better performance than my Fieldpiece SC56, but it doesn't, so I think I may take Jim up on his offer to get it bench tested.
    I missed it before, but the iDVM has a low resistance range of 600 ohms, with an accuracy of +/-0.8% +3 counts.
    The SC56 is 500 ohms at +/- 1.0% +5 counts.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by mark beiser View Post
    So far mine doesn't do well measuring common to run on single phase compressors, or winding resistances of 3 phase compressors.

By the specs for it, it seems like it should give better performance than my Fieldpiece SC56, but it doesn't, so I think I may take Jim up on his offer to get it bench tested.
    I missed it before, but the iDVM has a low resistance range of 600 ohms, with an accuracy of +/-0.8% +3 counts.
    The SC56 is 500 ohms at +/- 1.0% +5 counts.
    Wow so either meter can be off by about 5 ohms and still be in spec?!

With good lead connections, my SC56 does pretty good ohming compressors, equal ohms on 3 phase and S-C + R-C = R-S on 1 phase... after they became “obsolete” I found some on eBay so I have 3 working units... I believe the original one I bough in 2011 or so is one of the working ones although the beeper fell off the board.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by knave View Post
    Wow so either meter can be off by about 5 ohms and still be in spec?!
    No, the % is of the reading, and the counts is how many of the lowest digit. So both meter should be +/- about half an ohm or less when measuring winding resistances.

With good lead connections, my SC56 does pretty good ohming compressors, equal ohms on 3 phase and S-C + R-C = R-S on 1 phase... after they became “obsolete” I found some on eBay so I have 3 working units... I believe the original one I bough in 2011 or so is one of the working ones although the beeper fell off the board.
    I've been very happy with the SC56, the SC660 that replaced it is bigger than I want to deal with, and the wireless function of it is useless.
    I soldered the beeper back onto the board and glued it down better.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by mark beiser View Post

I've been very happy with the SC56, the SC660 that replaced it is bigger than I want to deal with, and the wireless function of it is useless.
    I soldered the beeper back onto the board and glued it down better.
    Ok that makes more sense on the accuracy...

I agree, I’ve often wondered why the newer one needed to be so large after they made a successful small one.

Post Likes
    I have several clamp meters (and am pondering the 550), but my workhorse is the SC260. Cheap, small and durable. 40 ohms -/+ 1% + 15, 400 ohms -/+ 1% +5. Res. .01. Works great for Resi and light comm. No problems reading winding resistance.

PS - how is the build quality of the 550?

Post Likes

AEMC

Check out AEMC clamp meter. They are very well built and AEMC makes them for Gossen Metrawatt (Gossen cost is over $1000.)

Gossen metrawatr DMM is in the same tier as Fluke meters and possibly even better (German made!)

QUOTE=Core_d;25705369]Are there any other power factor meters available on the market at a reasonable price? I understand the purpose of this meter, to be used with the iconnect/measurequick and get a accurate system performance profile.

Its cool stuff but, seems it could have done volts, amps and pf and called it a day then you would continue to carry your everyday “multi meter” for diagnostics.

How many folks here that own the iconnect are using this feature on a regular basis? Do your customers appreciate the latent and sensible capacity calcs, gallons per hour ect?

Another question mark, how bad was the pf at your house? The befault is set to .95 for the app. You should profile you home system and use the default pf and the actual pf and post the results here:-)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk[/QUOTE]

Page 7 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast