Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Post Likes
    There is an obvious solution... but nobody likes it...

Get rid of govt handout programs... and folks will HAVE to work!

Amazing how simple that is...
    Probably the simplicity is why nobody likes the idea...
    GA-HVAC-Tech

Your comfort, Your way, Everyday!

GA's basic rules of home heating and AC upgrades:
    *Installation is more important than the brand of equipment
    *The duct system keeps the house comfortable; the equipment only heats and cools (and dehumidifies)
    *Cheap is not good, good is not cheap; however expensive is not a guarantee of quality!
    Choose your contractor wisely!

2. Likes coolwhip liked this post.
    Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by behappy View Post
    I can't remember the name, but I was years ago at "X" Industries and they gave jobs to the handicapped.
    A lot of the workers were mentally handicapped. They were boxing items and making other things.
    I remember that the state had money involved, but everyone working there got a paycheck and dignity.
    They have a place here... Frontier Industries... that does that.
    The bible is my constitution and the constitution is my bible.

WE THE PEOPLE refers to THEM and not YOU.

Chewbacca Mom 2016

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by ga-hvac-tech View Post
    So you are saying that it is a good idea to rack up HUGE student loans... so one can make contacts during their freshman and sophomore years???
    And that if the person does not make those contacts those first 2 years... their ability to 'make it' in the professional world will take a hit that cannot be resolved???

GA calls BS on that...

Let me state what Clark Howard (our local consumer advocate TV celebrity) says:

https://clark.com/

Do the first 2 years of college at the local CC... and live at home.
    I see you tried to slip in the thing about meals... if the kid lives at home... he/she can eat at home... DUH...

As to jobs... better to do summer work and focus on ones education when in school.

The goal is to graduate with lower student debt...
    Rather than graduate with the bank owning your future.
    If the goal is to graduate with lower debt, why transfer to the university at all?

Post Likes
    If these low skilled workers actually want jobs then they should attack all the low skilled workers the government is bringing in.

Make that cheap foreign labor scared to come here and US businesses would be forced to hire american.
    The bible is my constitution and the constitution is my bible.

WE THE PEOPLE refers to THEM and not YOU.

Chewbacca Mom 2016

Post Likes
    Community College is a good thing. Its a way for youth to gain some skills so they can find someone to pay them for their labor. Its also heavily subsidized and thats why its cheaper than university.

Gas guru prolly rants and raves about gov programs one day, and advises getting benes from one the next day.

Post Likes
    I know it's handy and simple to say: Stop helping them and they will work, but two things:

It's not quite that simple because below a certain level of intelligence no work is possible. The military puts the limit at an 83 IQ. But there are some simpler things in civilian life such as the packing-boxes already mentioned - so maybe we should use, say; a-below-75 IQ. Nonetheless; a surprisingly large group of Americans fall below this limit.

Above (let's use 83 again) the low-IQ-limits the people are smart enough to do simple work but their resulting wage levels are not livable. So I think it likely that at least some of the smarter dumb people turn to crimes of various sorts to supplement their income.

America is allowing the government and so the corporations to treat a fairly large group of Americans shamefully. It feels downright un-American to me. Is this really who we are? What we have allowed ourselves to become?
    PHM
    --------
    The conventional view serves to protect us from the painful job of thinking.

Post Likes
    Brilliant! Maybe a bounty-program on foreigners - with a sliding-scale so that the lower your IQ the more you make for each foreigner you kill or at least cripple so they can't get a rubbish job in America.

PHM
    -------

Quote Originally Posted by corny View Post
    If these low skilled workers actually want jobs then they should attack all the low skilled workers the government is bringing in.

Make that cheap foreign labor scared to come here and US businesses would be forced to hire american.
    PHM
    --------

Post Likes
    Couple of things...

*If the govt did not do charity... the local folks would... and the NEED would be vetted... resulting in the freeloaders being pitched out (well, a lot of them).
    *If the govt wanted to employ folks... they would arrange tax credits for hiring low IQ folks for simple jobs (we know the govt does not really want to help folks, rather the govt wants to buy votes).
    *A system where folks learn to work for a living... or do without... is how the world worked from the first day of mankind... and how most of the world works today! There is no reason for the working folks to pay the way of the lazy folks.
    *Yeah, Clark is a cheapskate... yet he makes lots of sense on some things. And graduating from college without six figures of student loan debt... certainly makes sense to me!
    GA-HVAC-Tech

Your comfort, Your way, Everyday!

GA's basic rules of home heating and AC upgrades:
    *Installation is more important than the brand of equipment
    *The duct system keeps the house comfortable; the equipment only heats and cools (and dehumidifies)
    *Cheap is not good, good is not cheap; however expensive is not a guarantee of quality!
    Choose your contractor wisely!

Post Likes
    Mmmmm, marshmallows. I can't even remember the last time I had a marshmallow. Oh, yes I can. Sort of. It was last Christmas season, in a See's Candy. Coated in chocolate. But roasting a marshmallow? Must be decades ago, back when I was a child and our family was out camping somewhere. Used to be able to get them huge, then make the most awesome s'mores!

Now that brings up another issue, is memory associated with IQ? Could you have a high IQ and a bad memory? I probably used to know the answer to that, but can't remember at the moment.

Isn't that weird? How you can't remember something when you want, then the answer pops into your head clear as can be, well after when you need that info. Why?

Makes me wonder if I'm smart enough to remember what I wanted to do today. Think I'll go turn on the sprinkler, heard it is going to get warm next week.

Oh, now I remember why I couldn't remember what I was going to do this weekend. It's all those pesky chores like vacuuming, washing windows, clean off the work bench, etc. Wonder if I'll be smart enough to put those things of for another week?

Mmmmm, marshmallows . . . .

Quote Originally Posted by Poodle Head Mikey View Post
    That is true - but it's a smaller part of the job-loss-problem. Most lost-jobs did not 'go overseas' - the bulk of American jobs have been lost to the automating of the jobs, and to a lesser extent, to the obsoleting of jobs. In the case of mining for example it has been both.

I see it every day - big stores have at least self-checkout lanes - and usually more of them than manned-checkout lanes. Some stores have Fully Automated Shopping - an application on your cell phone monitors what you put into your cart and charges your credit card automatically - and then a scanner at the exit automatically verifies that your cart content matches what you have paid for.

Why do we have homeless people roaming the streets? We closed down all of the mental health in-patient facilities and turned the people out with zero support system. Why do we have increasing crime? Poor people are numbed by what might be called 'a public upbringing' into having no empathy and so the easy justification-process for criminal activity.

The blame lies superficially in the Corporatism Of America. BUT; the ultimate blame falls squarely on The American People. Because we have allowed a government full of 'representatives' who do not act to protect us from the excesses of unfettered Corporate Striving - or for that matter; to establish justice, insure domestic tranquility, provide for the common defense, promote the general welfare, and secure the blessings of liberty to ourselves and our posterity. (hmmm . . . now where did I read That? <g>)

Business Corporations are an emotion-less and mindless machine with a single purpose. No; two: to maximize it's income and to perpetuate itself indefinitely. That is fine for corporations as that is their nature. But we are The People - and only the humanity of Rational Mankind can shape the world of people properly.

Everybody requires a working life. Idle-ness ultimately does injury to self-respect and to a sense of personal self-worth. A viable and vibrant society cannot be long based on it.

Of course vote-buying idleness cannot be condoned - but there are always going to be some people, who, for a hundred perfectly good reasons, cannot work. Our Society has to arrange for their well being - if only out of the selfishness of societal self-perservation.

Nobody wants to fund it - but it is very much a: Pay Now - or Pay More Later issue. The "so where is everybody going to work" problem is huge and ever growing. As Jordan noted; the under-83-IQ segment of the American Public is about 10%. Hell; that is about 35,000,000 people that are too dumb to even join the military - even at the most basic level. What civilian job are they possibly qualified for? And America is eliminating jobs well above their abilities at an ever increasing rate! And The Public cheers the Convenience and the Progress we are enjoying.

Rome burns and we are all delighted that marshmallows are on sale.

PHM
    -------
    I do a triple evac with nitro to remove non condensables.

11. Likes ga-hvac-tech liked this post.
    Post Likes
    As I may have told you; I give out grilled hotdogs every year for Halloween - usually about 400. Unless it's very hot I always build a fire out on my front sidewalk but, as there is "no open burning allowed" in this town - I always have sticks and marshmallows at the ready. Because the exemption to the no-open-burning law is: unless the intention is to cook food. <g>

I never liked marshmallows and I like them even less now - but the smallest kids always seem to get a kick out of roasting them. Although at least some of it is just the basic human fascination-with-fire thing I think. <g>

PHM
    -------

Quote Originally Posted by BBeerme View Post
    Mmmmm, marshmallows. I can't even remember the last time I had a marshmallow. Oh, yes I can. Sort of. It was last Christmas season, in a See's Candy. Coated in chocolate. But roasting a marshmallow? Must be decades ago, back when I was a child and our family was out camping somewhere. Used to be able to get them huge, then make the most awesome s'mores!

Now that brings up another issue, is memory associated with IQ? Could you have a high IQ and a bad memory? I probably used to know the answer to that, but can't remember at the moment.

Isn't that weird? How you can't remember something when you want, then the answer pops into your head clear as can be, well after when you need that info. Why?

Makes me wonder if I'm smart enough to remember what I wanted to do today. Think I'll go turn on the sprinkler, heard it is going to get warm next week.

Oh, now I remember why I couldn't remember what I was going to do this weekend. It's all those pesky chores like vacuuming, washing windows, clean off the work bench, etc. Wonder if I'll be smart enough to put those things of for another week?

Mmmmm, marshmallows . . . .
    PHM
    --------

Post Likes
    They didn't have them last year, but for the few years prior there were these round candies with an eyeball on the foil wrapper. For the young ones, I'd ask: Do you want one of these, or do you want an EYEBALL ?

They'd always choose the eyeball! I don't know why, but somehow I'd always get a kick out of that.

Quote Originally Posted by Poodle Head Mikey View Post
    As I may have told you; I give out grilled hotdogs every year for Halloween - usually about 400. Unless it's very hot I always build a fire out on my front sidewalk but, as there is "no open burning allowed" in this town - I always have sticks and marshmallows at the ready. Because the exemption to the no-open-burning law is: unless the intention is to cook food. <g>

I never liked marshmallows and I like them even less now - but the smallest kids always seem to get a kick out of roasting them. Although at least some of it is just the basic human fascination-with-fire thing I think. <g>

PHM
    -------

Post Likes
    Could you have too low of an IQ to pass out candy?

Wonder how much that job would pay?

Post Likes
    That system already exists. Problem is, there's no way you can survive on minimum wage alone where I live.

Quote Originally Posted by James Colver View Post
    If I were president I would make it the responsibility of the government to give a job to anyone who wants one.

I agree a lot of good jobs have left this country and it's largely due to cooperate greed because they can make a few more bucks by using cheaper labor in mainly China.

As much as I can't stand Trump on a personal level I want to be fair and acknowledge he's right to impose tariffs and throw NAFTA into the garbage can. Now it's up to the US companies to restore US jobs because it's no longer cheaper for them to use overseas labor anymore.....

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123