Page 11 of 11 FirstFirst ... 4567891011
    Post Likes
    There is no way to resolve this issue? It cannot be stopped? Ordinary people are subjected to relentless spamming abuse via their own phone that they pay for - and there is nothing that can be done about it?

Is that what you are saying?
    PHM
    --------
    The conventional view serves to protect us from the painful job of thinking.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by Poodle Head Mikey View Post
    I save all the spam/scam calls as Contacts and name them all: Idiot - as I no longer know anyone with an "I" name. Then I check my Caller ID on all coming calls and never again answer a call from that particular idiot.

And I also have a record of the actual numbers - so I can bombard the FCC website with do-not-call-list violations.

PHM
    -------
    With my business number I can "blacklist" them.
    For a coiuple of months I would go over the list of calls (copy and paste) and "blacklist" the spammers and Robo calls.
    After I got up to over 400 numbers I quit!
    And the calls still come...
    Life is too short, Behappy!
    TFMM

Post Likes
    I have a contact with the name
    Telemarketer
    When I get a robo call... I add the number to that list.

Folks would be amazed how many times the phone rings... and when I look at it... it says
    Telemarketer!

I am thinking to make up a short outgoing message that explains to leave a message... because we do not answer the phone due to robo calls.
    I have not worked out the wording yet...
    GA-HVAC-Tech

Your comfort, Your way, Everyday!

GA's basic rules of home heating and AC upgrades:
    *Installation is more important than the brand of equipment
    *The duct system keeps the house comfortable; the equipment only heats and cools (and dehumidifies)
    *Cheap is not good, good is not cheap; however expensive is not a guarantee of quality!
    Choose your contractor wisely!

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by ga-hvac-tech View Post
    I have a contact with the name
    Telemarketer
    When I get a robo call... I add the number to that list.

Folks would be amazed how many times the phone rings... and when I look at it... it says
    Telemarketer!

I am thinking to make up a short outgoing message that explains to leave a message... because we do not answer the phone due to robo calls.
    I have not worked out the wording yet...
    It would be great if my cell phone service could say "Because of all the stupid telemarketers", press 1 for me. The robo calls may be history. I don't know about the rest.
    Life is too short, Behappy!
    TFMM

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by behappy View Post
    It would be great if my cell phone service could say "Because of all the stupid telemarketers", press 1 for me. The robo calls may be history. I don't know about the rest.
    That's a good idea, but I get more calls from Indian call centers than actual robots. So it might not work. It definitely is getting to the point that it is effecting business so something should be done in my opinion. And it's not like we can boycott the phone companies unless they fix it, because we would be without work during that time.

Post Likes
    When I get a call from a telemarketer or scammer I immediately block that number. It doesn't totally get rid of the problem but it helps a little. Also at this point, I almost never answer my phone. Most people with half a brain if they need you are smart enough to leave a message. I also get a lot of calls from customers who call me up and say hi its Joe or whatever their name is, and even though I know they are a customer I don't always know exactly who they are. I prefer to listen the the message first and then call the person back. I usually call back within ten minutes. It can all get a little annoying at times but seems for the most part to work for me.

Post Likes
    I use T-Mobile as a cell provider and they have a Spammer ID service. So fairly often my caller ID screen says: LIKELY SCAM
    PHM
    --------

8. Likes ga-hvac-tech liked this post.
    Post Likes
    I use T-Mobile as a cell provider and they have a Spammer ID service. So fairly often my caller ID screen says: LIKELY SCAM
    I have been thinking to leave AT&T and go to T-mo... my phone is GSM, so I cannot go to Verizon or Sprint without changing phones.

Used to get lots of calls all day long... now since we have totally quit taking new customers (other than referrals from existing customers)... most business calls show up with a contact's name, and I remember the name when I see it.
    GA-HVAC-Tech

*The duct system keeps the house comfortable; the equipment only heats and cools (and dehumidifies)
    *Cheap is not good, good is not cheap; however expensive is not a guarantee of quality!

Post Likes
    I dont answer the phone unless it is a contact.

Got a scam call on the home phone the other night that said "your name at this address" owed the government money and that were going to start action unless we contacted them.

Sad thing is that people will fall for that...... especially people whos name is Your Name...
    The bible is my constitution and the constitution is my bible.

WE THE PEOPLE refers to THEM and not YOU.

Chewbacca Mom 2016

Post Likes
    One time I got a call from the IRS with a stern voiced man telling me that some filing discrepancy had resulted in me owing them lots of money. And that they had agents waiting (around the corner I guess <g>) to seize my house. As this was my Last Chance I could give them a credit card number or a check-by-phone bank-wire somethingorother immediately. Otherwise they were going to race me off to prison, freeze my bank accounts, and all kinds of things he said.

The Agents are outside now?

Yes sir! And they are coming in in just a few minutes! This is extremely serious sir!

How big are they?

Who?

The agents - how big are they? Do I need a baseball bat or a shotgun?

Excuse me?

I was just thinking that they better be either real big or real well armed if they are going to take me out of my house.

This is not a joke! This is your last chance to stop us from taking everything you own. You owe money to the IRS! Don't you understand how serious that is?

Wait a minute - I changed my mind: I'll just take my truck and you can have the house and everything in it. How about that? I'm sick of working on this bastard anyway. Can you give me five minutes to grab some clothes?

He hung up and no agents ever came but I wonder if anybody ever Does give them money like that? <g>

PHM
    ------

Quote Originally Posted by corny View Post
    I dont answer the phone unless it is a contact.

Got a scam call on the home phone the other night that said "your name at this address" owed the government money and that were going to start action unless we contacted them.

Sad thing is that people will fall for that...... especially people whos name is Your Name...
    PHM
    --------

12. Likes BBeerme liked this post.
    Post Likes
    That's just too freakin' funny.

I used to play the telemarketer game. Kinda makes me want to get that IRS phone call again, LOL.

One time I got a call from the IRS with a stern voiced man telling me that some filing discrepancy had resulted in me owing them lots of money. And that they had agents waiting (around the corner I guess <g>) to seize my house. As this was my Last Chance I could give them a credit card number or a check-by-phone bank-wire somethingorother immediately. Otherwise they were going to race me off to prison, freeze my bank accounts, and all kinds of things he said.

The Agents are outside now?

Yes sir! And they are coming in in just a few minutes! This is extremely serious sir!

How big are they?

Who?

The agents - how big are they? Do I need a baseball bat or a shotgun?

Excuse me?

I was just thinking that they better be either real big or real well armed if they are going to take me out of my house.

This is not a joke! This is your last chance to stop us from taking everything you own. You owe money to the IRS! Don't you understand how serious that is?

Wait a minute - I changed my mind: I'll just take my truck and you can have the house and everything in it. How about that? I'm sick of working on this bastard anyway. Can you give me five minutes to grab some clothes?

He hung up and no agents ever came but I wonder if anybody ever Does give them money like that? <g>

PHM
    ------
    I do a triple evac with nitro to remove non condensables.

Post Likes
    This was, I think, over a decade ago...

I was trading the markets a lot then... I am sure that is how some trading scammer got my number to call.

Anyhow... this guy keeps calling me...
    We talk markets... he is kinda savvy to how trading works... so I lead him on each time he calls...
    Then I have to go, as I have something to do or a call to take.
    Finally decided it was time to deal the 'blow' so to say...
    Guy called me... I kept him on the phone for over an hour discussing trading strategies...
    When I could not divert him into trading any more...
    And he would not allow me to dodge the question of when I was gonna put a bunch of $$$ with his outfit...

I answered no, I will not give you any $$$, I never had any intention to give you any $$$...
    I simply wanted you to know what it felt like to have someone WASTE your time on the phone!

There was total silence for about 5 seconds...
    Then a tirade of abusive language... and he hung up.

Guess what... he never called back.
    GA-HVAC-Tech

15. Likes BBeerme liked this post.
    Post Likes
    Wow, there's a first. A 'personal' relationship with a telemarketer.

Quote Originally Posted by ga-hvac-tech View Post
    This was, I think, over a decade ago...

I was trading the markets a lot then... I am sure that is how some trading scammer got my number to call.

Anyhow... this guy keeps calling me...
    We talk markets... he is kinda savvy to how trading works... so I lead him on each time he calls...
    Then I have to go, as I have something to do or a call to take.
    Finally decided it was time to deal the 'blow' so to say...
    Guy called me... I kept him on the phone for over an hour discussing trading strategies...
    When I could not divert him into trading any more...
    And he would not allow me to dodge the question of when I was gonna put a bunch of $$$ with his outfit...

I answered no, I will not give you any $$$, I never had any intention to give you any $$$...
    I simply wanted you to know what it felt like to have someone WASTE your time on the phone!

There was total silence for about 5 seconds...
    Then a tirade of abusive language... and he hung up.

Guess what... he never called back.
    I do a triple evac with nitro to remove non condensables.

Page 11 of 11 FirstFirst ... 4567891011