Post Likes

Strange noise from indoor unit

The indoor unit of my split air conditioner is making a strange clanking noise whenever the compressor is running, the sound disappears whenever the compressor switches off and only the blower is running and comes back as soon as the compressor comes back on.
    I've called the company service reps several times but they're local contractors and are really unskilled and I'm unable to find any professional as it's in a really small town.
    Here's a recording of the sound: instaud&dot&io/2c8S (replace the &dot& with . as I don't have permission to post links)
    Can someone help me in figuring out the possible cause of the noise?

Post Likes
    I listened to that with my speakers all the way up and I cant hear a dang thing other than some very quiet muted clunks once in a while. I attributed that to excessive volume on my speakers.

Post Likes
    The clunks is the noise I'm talking about, listen to the audio after 18sec, they're more audible as I moved the microphone just near the area that I traced the sound to be originating from. The sound is definitely not as clear and loud as it is in the second half of the clip but as it's in the indoor unit, it's a hell of an annoyance in a quiet room.

Post Likes
    it's hardly audible on my computer. i'll GUESS that it's a resonation caused by a blower imbalance.

Post Likes
    That's what I thought but turns out the sound comes on only when the compressor is running and the unit is cooling and goes out as soon as the compressor switches off and only the blower is running or when the unit is on fan mode.
    Maybe earphones or headphones would help clearly listen to the clip.

Post Likes
    Maybe a better recording would help me listen to the noise.

A lack of refrigerant or non-condensibles may cause an odd noise in the coil. But that's a stretch.

Post Likes
    instaud.io/2cm3 - this one's clearer.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by HVAC_Marc View Post
    it's hardly audible on my computer. i'll GUESS that it's a resonation caused by a blower imbalance.
    Thats caus yous OLD and went to too many Rock shows!

Post Likes
    I only went to one. With a chubby girl.

I really dont hear anything out of the ordinary in that recording. I hear 3 louder noises that can be seen as spikes on the graph but Im assuming those are from the OP holding the phone.