Results 1 to 12 of 12
  1. #1
    Join Date
    May 2018
    Posts
    31
    Post Likes

    Frustrated homeowner..Need Help! Lol

    Hello everyone
    Well my apologies if these kind of posts are annoying.. Iím sure as pros you folks get them often..(sorry long post)

    So my split HVAC unit servicing 1259 up stairs rooms (home faces east in Tennessee 4 bedrooms, 2 bath upstairs 18 inches insulation in attic) is 24 years old and working but it constantly freezes up if I set my temp inside below 78. Every year for 5 years Iíve had to refill the Freon. No big deal as itís working but now itís not keeping up at all.

    So for the past 3 months Iíve been consuming books and articles on HVAC and replacements (Iím a lab nerd by trade so I really dig deep in this stuff).

    Iíve narrowed it down to wanting a scroll compressor and no micro channel as I hear they are not good at all.

    Every thing I read talks about load calculations. Actual load calcs... room by room measuring not block calcs or such.

    So... I get a list of BBB certified contractors and recommendations from Facebook groups and start calling.. 5 companies are on my list.
    I start by telling my back story above and I want a true load calc done for my hot/cold spots varying room temps etc.

    Company 1) ďOh you need to call an engineer to get thoseĒ
    2) ďUmmm yeah we can just replace the 2 ton unit there... when can we come by?Ē
    3) ďsorry were 3 months outĒ
    4) Never called me back
    5) Yes sir we can do it but we only sale Trane units.

    Iím frustrated...! Am I asking too much? All Iím asking for really is a through evaluation of load specs, duct evaluation and a solution to my problem.

    Am I asking too much as a home owner?


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Location
    Billington Heights, NY
    Posts
    20,923
    Post Likes
    you're not asking too much. in fact, you can do it yourself online at loadcalc.net

    Trane does have non-MC units. 98% of modern units have scrolls so it's likely you'll get that by default.

    How is it you have 1259 upstairs rooms? Are they micro sized rooms?

  3. #3
    Join Date
    May 2018
    Posts
    31
    Post Likes
    Thread Starter
    Ha! Sorry about 1259 sq.ft up stairs..


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Location
    SW FL
    Posts
    8,510
    Post Likes
    +++ _ LOAD CALC
    ________ ___ Example
    ____________________ 92'F AND 16'F

    ATTACHMENTS
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Designer Dan
    It's Not Rocket Science, But It is SCIENCE with "Some Art". ___ ___ K EEP I T S IMPLE & S INCERE

    Define the Building Envelope and Perform a Detailed Load Calc: It's ALL About Windows and Make-up Air Requirements. Know Your Equipment Capabilities

  5. #5
    Join Date
    May 2018
    Posts
    31
    Post Likes
    Thread Starter
    Quote Originally Posted by dan sw fl View Post
    +++ _ LOAD CALC
    ________ ___ Example
    ____________________ 92'F AND 16'F

    ATTACHMENTS
    Thanks for the reply! I was told it would need a 2.5 ton unit... now I need to find a good installer and one with a Copeland scroll!
    (Anyone in southern Tennessee holla!)


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Southeastern Pa
    Posts
    28,991
    Post Likes
    Actually I believe your next step is to have a competent contractor look at your ductwork and make certain that it can handle the airflow that is needed for the various rooms.

    The reason I suggest this is that many older homes (and yes, 24 years old is an older home nowadays) is that many homes were designed to move hot air through the ductwork, which requires smaller ductwork, and then someone down the road comes along and replaces the furnace and adds an indoor air conditioning coil and expects to be able to move enough air through the same ductwork for cooling, and that rarely works out very well.

    So you need to have the ductwork looked at and make sure that it's going to meet your needs before you proceed any further.
    [Avatar photo from a Florida training accident. Everyone walked away.]
    2 Tim 3:16-17

    RSES CMS, HVAC Electrical Specialist
    Member, IAEI

    AOP Forum Rules:







  7. #7
    Join Date
    Jun 2014
    Location
    Dover, DE
    Posts
    9,486
    Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by darktower007 View Post
    Thanks for the reply! I was told it would need a 2.5 ton unit... now I need to find a good installer and one with a Copeland scroll!
    (Anyone in southern Tennessee holla!)

    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Funny, thatís almost exactly 500 sq ft per ton.
    Can you post the load calculation they did? Do you have a copy?
    ďI havenít failed. Iíve just found 10,000 ways that wonít work.Ē - Thomas Edison

    ďItís not whether you get knocked down, itís whether you get up.Ē - Vince Lombardi

    "In this house we obey the laws of thermodynamics" - Homer Simpson

  8. #8
    Join Date
    May 2018
    Posts
    31
    Post Likes
    Thread Starter
    Quote Originally Posted by rider77 View Post
    Funny, thatís almost exactly 500 sq ft per ton.
    Can you post the load calculation they did? Do you have a copy?
    I Believe I do.. let me look.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  9. #9
    Join Date
    May 2018
    Posts
    31
    Post Likes
    Thread Starter
    Quote Originally Posted by timebuilder View Post
    Actually I believe your next step is to have a competent contractor look at your ductwork and make certain that it can handle the airflow that is needed for the various rooms.

    The reason I suggest this is that many older homes (and yes, 24 years old is an older home nowadays) is that many homes were designed to move hot air through the ductwork, which requires smaller ductwork, and then someone down the road comes along and replaces the furnace and adds an indoor air conditioning coil and expects to be able to move enough air through the same ductwork for cooling, and that rarely works out very well.

    So you need to have the ductwork looked at and make sure that it's going to meet your needs before you proceed any further.
    I believe he said itís 6 inch rushed duct that is insulated. I was up there with him.. but I didnít see him measure the runs.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  10. #10
    Join Date
    May 2018
    Posts
    31
    Post Likes
    Thread Starter
    Trying to figure out how to post photos... one second..


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  11. #11
    Join Date
    May 2018
    Posts
    31
    Post Likes
    Thread Starter
    Is there a photo size limit? I keep getting an error.... let me try diff format


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  12. #12
    Join Date
    May 2018
    Posts
    31
    Post Likes
    Thread Starter



    Load calc and unit recommendation. Price is blacked out. Is this correct?


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Related Forums

Plumbing Talks | Contractor MagazineThe place where Electrical professionals meet.