Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Post Likes
    I reread the OP...
    bad compressor, that is a big repair. I wouldn't recommend unless you had to have the lowest repair. Why use N22? If YOUR 22 has not leaked out, reusing it should be ok, unless it has burned ...
    The TRUE highest cost system is the system not installed properly...

Find a HVAC-Talk Contractor by clicking here

Do you go to a boat repairman with a sinking boat, and tell him to put in a bigger motor when he tells you to fix the holes?

I am yourmrfixit

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by vstech View Post
    Quite true.

Our company always offers all options.

Repair is always less, but not always the best choice.

A 407 condenser would work for several years, if not 10 or more... not sure wasted is the best term. 410a comes with refrigerant, 407 does not. 410 with a matched coil would provide correct capacity and efficiency. 407 would not.
    Repairing the R22 system could be the correct choice.
    What is wrong with it, if it's not leaking?
    The compressor valves stopped working. The fan still runs. Thread here: http://hvac-talk.com/vbb/showthread....6&goto=newpost

So when the time comes to replace the entire system, we'd still need to get a new compressor (to match the new coil etc) and could not reuse the 407 one. I think that is what the tech today was explaining.

If the new condensor using 407 does not come with refrigerant, where does it come from? The evap coil and everything inside will stay the same (R22). I thought the tech said he'd be draining the whole system and then installing the 407c condenser.

Post Likes
    I highly doubt the compressor is bad. only ancient systems have valves, and when they do go bad they both dont at the same time.

Post Likes
    One issue is timing....I was told it will be 8 weeks to do a full install (July 20). they can do the repair in 2 weeks. We had planned portable/window acs but it turns out we don't have enough amps. Or grounded outlets.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by HVAC_Marc View Post
    I highly doubt the compressor is bad. only ancient systems have valves, and when they do go bad they both dont at the same time.
    This was installed in 1997. All the companies ran compressor tests and each one says the valve pressure is the same so it is either stuck closed or open.

Post Likes
    1997 might or might not have valves. that was around the time scroll compressors were coming out.

it's not you... im just having problems believing this colossal coincidence.

Post Likes
    1997 might or might not have valves. that was around the time scroll compressors were coming out.

it's not you... im just having problems believing this colossal coincidence.
    You are not alone.

It is a Trane XE 80 and I checked my records - it was installed in May 1999.

If the pressure is the same..the compressor runs but no cold air comes out, what could be the cause?

Post Likes
    broken rods, 2 or more failed valves.

does the compressor really run or does the condenser fan run and they are assuming the compressor runs? if the compressor runs, even broken, it'll pull amps.

Post Likes
    broken rods, 2 or more failed valves.

does the compressor really run or does the condenser fan run and they are assuming the compressor runs? if the compressor runs, even broken, it'll pull amps.
    Not certain how they'd tell...the fan is running. they did open the side and use a voltage meter at one point...don't know what they were measuring.

then they pulled out the "stethoscope" to check pressure and that's when they said the pressure was equal and the valves were not working (not opening and closing).

Post Likes
    a stethoscope for pressure. that's a new one...

amps arent tested with a volt meter/leads.

Post Likes
    a stethoscope for pressure. that's a new one...

amps arent tested with a volt meter/leads.
    How should they have measured the amps and where?

Post Likes
    a clamp meter either at the capacitor/contactor or the compressor terminal housing.

DONT do this yourself.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12