Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
    Post Likes
    Hey guys,

I'm new to the group, but I just wanted to share TWO new BACnet Tools for Wireshark we created. They're great for troubleshooting and both free to download and use.

The forum won't allow me to post links, but you can search for them on Google or PM me and I'll give you the link. They are the "CAS BACnet Wireshark Report Tool" and "CAS BACnet Wireshark Storm".

CAS BACnet Wireshark Report Tool

CAS BACnet Wireshark Storm
    Last edited by kontrolphreak; 09-12-2018 at 02:37 PM. Reason: Added links.

2. Likes bolt950rider liked this post
    Post Likes
    Welcome to the forum Peter. I took the liberty to add hotlinks to your post.

kontrol out
    "Good" - Jocko
    "Open is as open does." - Forrest Gump
    "Can't we all just get a Lon?" - Garry Jack
    "BACnet: integration or interrogation?" - The Janitor
    "Interoperability? You can't handle interoperability!" - Nathan R. Jessup
    “What’s that? Aaa… open protocols? Don’t talk about…. open protocols? Are you kidding me? Open protocols? I just hope we can hardwire an interface!” - Jim Mora Watch it here!

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by kontrolphreak View Post
    Welcome to the forum Peter. I took the liberty to add hotlinks to your post.
    Thank you very much For the welcome and the links.

Post Likes
    These look very nice. Thanks Peter.
    Propagating the formula. http://www.noagendashow.com/

Post Likes
    I've been MIA for some time and I returned today to find this thread....This is a fantastic thread!!! Several yrs back, I was at a site with 13 major buildings and 2 research facilities and all were very sick buildings. After taking time in fixing polarity, grounding, star, length, shielding, wrong placement of terminators and noise issues, the networks were somewhat stabilized but it wasn't until I pulled out the oscilloscope did the contractor believe me that he had some bad issues with his installed network. His response.... those oscilloscope captures done at the factory are done in controlled perfect factory environments...they are not effective in real life...

uh...hello?

lol..thought I share a funny irony

Great job fellr's!
    IF YOU BUILD IT...THEY WILL COME!!!...

7. Likes adam_s05 liked this post
    Post Likes
    I had the most luck with Chipkin Modbus tool , so I know their stuff is solid
    Keep it simple to keep it cool!

9. Likes bolt950rider liked this post
    Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by kontrolphreak View Post
    Another tool to have in your toolbag of tricks is the IF Tools msb-rs485 Serial Interface Analyzer. I feel it is a jack of all trades but a but haven't used it as much as an oscilloscope and Wirehark.
    Just to add my two pennies on this device...

One big downfall is not being able to export to pcap file and dissect in wireshark. Included decode is pretty limited. If you need precise 485 timing analysis, this is the tool. If your looking for a device that can do precise timing and full decode, its not for you unless you want to write your own decoder/exporter which is certainly possible. Somewhat surprised they don't export to pcap for the price as it would certainly add to the value and be an easy out for R&D.

Its a great tool, just be aware it mainly for timing / LA type work and not what most would require for 95%+ problems in the field. By the time you need to whip this out, you have well advanced knowledge of the protocol at hand.
    Propagating the formula. http://www.noagendashow.com/

Post Likes

I think I may have a little fun with this one

Quote Originally Posted by Chipkin View Post
    Hey guys,

I'm new to the group, but I just wanted to share
    "CAS BACnet Wireshark Storm".

CAS BACnet Wireshark Storm
    The description on the site:
    Download Now and Replay BACnet client messages, directing them to a new IP so you can replicate a site problem where the server could not handle an incoming request properly. Test and simulate message storms and DOS attacks.

We have a site that is a fun Niagara/Distech (on an old N2 18/3 trunk)/Schneider BACNet/Infinet mix. The kind of place where you know something bad will probably happen as you stumble across the messes someone knows about but will not tell you is there until you are on a proposal job.

We will be doing work with a few guys who are newer, I may have to mess with somebody in the name of science when I test this one out.
    Hmmmm....smells like numbatwo to me.

Post Likes
    Great info, Having problems with a job right now that this will help with.

Post Likes
    There are only a hand full of times that I have had to go down to the line health and packet analysis. I think that troubleshooting MSTP is typically over-complicated. There are things that you can do to make sure that the only times that this is necessary is minimal. If it is a new comm line then you should be taking note of all the resistance values between each wire, the shield, and from each wire and shield to ground. Additionally it should be noted how much resistance there is when EOLs are shorted and a EOL resistor should be added as necessary. Only add third party devices to your trunk after you know that it is in good working order, and remember that all shield wires are tied through and grounded in one spot (usually the global controller).
    Troubleshooting an already broken comm trunk can be tedious if you aren't doing the leg work first. Usually the most available and quickest method is to get an MSTP router, go out in the field at the half-way point, break the trunk and scan both directions. Continue this action in the direction of the issue until it is found. It is also a good idea to keep screen shots of the scans so that you can see if you have a duplicate device instance or something of that nature. A lot of the issues that I have seen come from VFDs (not using 1.5 conductor can be a killer). Once you have narrowed down the device having the issue, or the bad run of cable, deeper analysis is sometimes necessary.

Post Likes
    Not sure what you mean by this "not using 1.5 conductor can be a killer"

Post Likes
    There is comm wire that is called one and a half conductor. It is a twisted pair, which are white and black, with an additional yellow wire that is not twisted in with these (and of course a shield). We use this to tie the common of the drives to the our same ground reference. You can see a schematic of this in the BACnet Protocol ACH-550 AC Drives manual (manual is freely available on the internet).

Post Likes
    Thanks, I don't recall ever seeing a cable like that but I've only been around controls for about 40 years. I'll look it up.

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast