Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Post Likes
    Most of them have a solid grommet to pass hoses and thermocouple clamps etc. I use pressure temp charts and calculate SH and SC just like phm said.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by OGlad View Post
    How do you guys get a proper measurement when you only have two H and L ports and the lines are inside the system. do you just recover and charge by weight??? I don't see any other alternative.
    you can usually attach to the suction line or liquid line somewhere, usually in the compressor compartment ..... pressure and SH and SC readings also help confirm not only that the system is charged properly but they also help identify any possible problems the system might have .... I got into the habit of checking schrader cores with an electronic leak detector before I disturb them by installing gauges because they are prone to leak at any given moment, that way if they are leaking and the system is low on refrigerant you have a better idea what is gong on ....

3. Likes DavidDeBord liked this post
    Post Likes
    I got into the habit of checking schrader cores with an electronic leak detector before I disturb them by installing gauges because they are prone to leak at any given moment, that way if they are leaking and the system is low on refrigerant you have a better idea what is gong on ....

That is excellent advice also!
    I’m not sure how to do a quote like that though.

Post Likes
    Also be aware that you need to get to the liquid line between condenser coil and evap coil for temp readings because the hi side line port is typically high pressure vapor so it won’t be subcooled

Post Likes
    Officially, Down for the count

YOU HAVE TO GET OFF YOUR ASS TO GET ON YOUR FEET

I know enough to know, I don't know enough
    Liberalism-Ideas so good they mandate them

7. Likes DavidDeBord liked this post
    Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by Kennyhvac View Post
    I got into the habit of checking schrader cores with an electronic leak detector before I disturb them by installing gauges because they are prone to leak at any given moment, that way if they are leaking and the system is low on refrigerant you have a better idea what is gong on ....

That is excellent advice also!
    I’m not sure how to do a quote like that though.
    If the schrader is leaking AND the cap is loose then obviously you have a problem. IMHO the schrader isn't the primary seal. The cap is the primary seal. Use your leak detector on the cap. If the cap isn't leaking then you do not have a leak no matter how bad the schrader is leaking. To me the only purpose of the scrader is to give you a chance to attach your hoses. If a schrader is hissing I'll replace it but it doesn't necessarily mean that any refrigerant has been leaking out of the system. If the caps are crappy and I suspect they may be leaking I'll replace them with brass caps.
    "Call a technician for God's sake. Or we'll see you on the news or the Dark Side of the Moon."

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12