Results 1 to 12 of 12
  1. #1
    Join Date
    May 2017
    Posts
    5
    Post Likes

    Carlyle 06N Compressors Rebuilt by CMP Corp. - any good?

    Good morning,
    We service an account with five Carrier chillers, two 30HXCs and three 30HXAs. Two of the air-cooled chillers have one bad compressor each - one shorted to ground and one with a nasty sound to it (need to dig into it a bit more before condemning it).
    I know CMP Corporation rebuilds the 06N screw compressors. Does anyone have experience with those? I read that the 06Ns are pretty much impossible to rebuild on your own. Is CMP any better at it?

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Dec 2015
    Location
    Washington, DC
    Posts
    217
    Post Likes
    Don’t have an answer to your question, but I do know they are not field serviceable due to the precision clearances.

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Jan 2015
    Location
    Somewhere making cold water
    Posts
    176
    Post Likes
    With the troubles your having I wouldn't do anything but factory parts. CYA
    Good luck

    Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

  4. Likes CHILLERSVCMAN, stanbyyourword liked this post
  5. #4
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Cartersville Ga
    Posts
    229
    Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by WYLBEK View Post
    With the troubles your having I wouldn't do anything but factory parts. CYA
    Good luck

    Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
    X2

  6. #5
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    Dearborn MI
    Posts
    351
    Post Likes
    You should check into the CMP warranty before you proceed. If there is a problem with the compressor who pays to ship it back? Who determines if it's a warranty or not? Who pays to get the replacement back to the job site? How long before you GET a replacement? We do not reman Carlyle screws because almost every one that fails damages the casting inside where it can't be seen. It is our opinion that the damaged can't be repaired. How do they do it? On the other hand, we DO reman Bitzer screws but they are a much better design. Good luck.

  7. Likes stanbyyourword, CHAINIK liked this post
  8. #6
    Join Date
    Apr 2016
    Location
    Maryland
    Posts
    255
    Post Likes
    GOOD information remanworld . A compressor rebuild is ONLY AS good as the person performing the repair . I have rebuilt compressors from 1/3 HP to 5000 TON centifugals and I will state ONE ( 1 ) thing when I hit the GO button they have started and made temperature . ( even the STEAM DRIVEN ONES )

  9. #7
    Join Date
    May 2018
    Location
    Southampton UK
    Posts
    3
    Post Likes
    We rebuild these 06Ns in the UK and even supply some to Carrier service department.

    The key issues are not to try to rebuild if they have crashed at a prior failure. Burnouts and redundant compressors are the ones to use. A large press is necessary to get the gear spurs off, and before these are removed it is essential to measure the protrusion of each shaft end taper to ensure sufficient interference is attained at re-assembly (heat the wheels with an induction heater or oil batch to ~ 130oC).

    The bearings are standard industrial grade SKF mostly, the O rings are nitrile.

    As a UK remanufacturer we have been using CMP parts for many years and their quality is excellent. Not used a reman from them, but I would expect they will be as good as any other remanufacturer.

  10. Likes stanbyyourword liked this post
  11. #8
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    The Hot South
    Posts
    2,016
    Post Likes
    Have you checked the terminal plates on the ones shorted to ground?
    The 2nd most important amendment is to protect the 1st...

    Free Air Conditioner Sizing Chart

  12. #9
    Join Date
    Aug 2000
    Location
    Under my tree
    Posts
    5,114
    Post Likes
    No better or worse warranty than the manufacturers.
    Quote Originally Posted by remanworld View Post
    You should check into the CMP warranty before you proceed. If there is a problem with the compressor who pays to ship it back? Who determines if it's a warranty or not? Who pays to get the replacement back to the job site? How long before you GET a replacement? We do not reman Carlyle screws because almost every one that fails damages the casting inside where it can't be seen. It is our opinion that the damaged can't be repaired. How do they do it? On the other hand, we DO reman Bitzer screws but they are a much better design. Good luck.
    To much work with too little time!!!!

  13. #10
    Join Date
    Aug 2000
    Location
    Under my tree
    Posts
    5,114
    Post Likes
    We are apparently not able to rebuild them in USA lol. I agree CMP makes excellent parts.
    Quote Originally Posted by Superheat6k View Post
    We rebuild these 06Ns in the UK and even supply some to Carrier service department.

    The key issues are not to try to rebuild if they have crashed at a prior failure. Burnouts and redundant compressors are the ones to use. A large press is necessary to get the gear spurs off, and before these are removed it is essential to measure the protrusion of each shaft end taper to ensure sufficient interference is attained at re-assembly (heat the wheels with an induction heater or oil batch to ~ 130oC).

    The bearings are standard industrial grade SKF mostly, the O rings are nitrile.

    As a UK remanufacturer we have been using CMP parts for many years and their quality is excellent. Not used a reman from them, but I would expect they will be as good as any other remanufacturer.
    To much work with too little time!!!!

  14. #11
    Join Date
    May 2017
    Posts
    5
    Post Likes
    Thread Starter
    Quote Originally Posted by R123 View Post
    Have you checked the terminal plates on the ones shorted to ground?
    I talked to Carrier tech support (Customer Gateway) and the fellow didn't think there is much chance of the short being anywhere except the motor windings. On these compressors, you have to remove the gear cover to see the terminal pins and internal wires. I may do that just to be sure.

    He thought the other one had worn rotors. That one's actually only 9 years old. It had condenser fan issues and I believe the high pressure switch failed - I was working there one day and realized I was hearing the liquid line relief valve blowing. Replaced the relief valve and high pressure switch, but later I was working there and the compressor sounded awful. I should pop a cover off that one as well. There are 5 chillers there, plenty of capacity, and it's been busy...

  15. #12
    Join Date
    Aug 2000
    Location
    Under my tree
    Posts
    5,114
    Post Likes
    BS!!!! 460V? I wont condemn a 460V 3 phase grounded hermetic screw until I pull the cover. Seen way to many "grounded" comps that were misdiagnosed.
    Quote Originally Posted by disciple View Post
    I talked to Carrier tech support (Customer Gateway) and the fellow didn't think there is much chance of the short being anywhere except the motor windings. On these compressors, you have to remove the gear cover to see the terminal pins and internal wires. I may do that just to be sure.

    He thought the other one had worn rotors. That one's actually only 9 years old. It had condenser fan issues and I believe the high pressure switch failed - I was working there one day and realized I was hearing the liquid line relief valve blowing. Replaced the relief valve and high pressure switch, but later I was working there and the compressor sounded awful. I should pop a cover off that one as well. There are 5 chillers there, plenty of capacity, and it's been busy...
    To much work with too little time!!!!

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Related Forums

Plumbing Talks | Contractor MagazineThe place where Electrical professionals meet.