Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Subcooling

Post Likes
    I'm starting to pick up some of the short hand. I'm new to the forum and new to field but it would be nice to see less of the short hand. I take any spare time to prowl the threads and pick up as much as I can. the boss don't even mind, its research to him.

on topic how bad is it to cool 100F a crossed the condenser? the only thing I can think of is my units have massively oversized evaporators. so its ok?

Post Likes
    Subcooling is result of what the condenser coil is trying to do, Make liquid. The more liquid in a condenser the less space the coil has to condense vapor. So excessive subcooling can reduce the capacity of the condenser.

One of the functions of subcooling is to ensure a solid column of liquid feeding the metering device.

Design subcooling should be the target...

3. Likes udarrell liked this post
    Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by udarrell View Post
    They should always list the actual SC temp & the target SC temp for that unit, then there should be no confusion as to whether it is too high or too low Sub Cooling...
    At least I wouldn't be confused. Too many unknowns for some. Like how would a newer guy know what the target SC is unless they are gifted with a hi-tech manifold or were educated in the finer points of analysis. Actually it could also be seen on a chart.
    It's great when some list all the diagnosis numbers but that's a bit advanced.
    We need to remember techs might come with huge differences in education, training, abilities.
    In the time I've been attending this forum I have seen a large change in what techs are doing. Probably the future will see more.

Measuring sub-cooling hasn't always been seen as important. Charging was usually kept to measureing superheat and evap delta T.
    It's not that sub-cooling wasn't known about but it's importance wasn't acknowledged like it is with hi-eff equipment. Mostly just grab the liq line and ask yourself "Does it feel right?".
    I should have played the g'tar on the MTV. MK

You can be anything you want......As long as you don't suck at it.

USAF 98 Bomb Wing 1960-66 SMW Lu49

Post Likes
    The target sub cooling on a TXV metered system is listed on the condenser tag, so there is no guessing...

Post Likes
    Charge to 2 degrees superheat and get that space crispy cold!!!!
    HVAC Magician @ UA Local 638

7. Likes Core_d liked this post
    Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by udarrell View Post
    The target sub cooling on a TXV metered system is listed on the condenser tag, so there is no guessing...

I guess we've been working on different stuff. Do you do just new resi?
    I should have played the g'tar on the MTV. MK

You can be anything you want......As long as you don't suck at it.

USAF 98 Bomb Wing 1960-66 SMW Lu49

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by hvacker View Post
    I guess we've been working on different stuff. Do you do just new resi?
    Yes, I only did residential & light commercial trouble shooting & unit replacements since the mid-1970's; I am retired now.

Post Likes
    high sub cooling capacity loss. not enough heat may be removed. high head pressure from over stuffing the coil. easy to do with 410. I have also seen it make the txv stick.

most every unit has their required subcool on the label. if not shoot for 10.

Subcooling is the most important with a txv. super heat is only with a piston or cap tube.

The original poster mentioned 100 deg from the condenser coil. Are you talking discharge temp, temp differential, liquid line temp?

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12