Post Likes

Pilot light will not stay lit....

So the guy tells me that his "future stepson" would always need to go up and light the pilot light whenever they need to turn on the heat. Of course I was already suspicious due to the fact that most furnaces have a hot surface ignitor, but I figured I'd look first.
    Name:  20180309_084216_HDR.jpg
Views: 907
Size:  145.3 KBName:  20180309_084223_HDR.jpg
Views: 907
Size:  169.6 KBName:  20180309_084238_HDR.jpg
Views: 897
Size:  105.6 KBName:  20180309_084244_HDR.jpg
Views: 894
Size:  58.4 KB
    So the circuit board was gone and it was all hard wired together. Hot surface ignitor not even hooked up. The gas valve was hot wired to always stay open and the gas shut off valve was off. When they wanted to use the furnace the "Future stepson" would turn on the hand valve and light the burners manually. Then turn on the thermostat.

2. Likes dbacmc, DavidDeBord liked this post
    Post Likes
    HOLY CRAP!!!! Did you sell them a new furnace or end up rebuilding that thing, or did you just turn around and run as fast as you could?

By the way, welcome to the forum!
    If at First You Don't Succeed, Skydiving Is Not for You.

Post Likes
    Those johnson controls spark to pilot systems were always a pita. Replaced many of these with other more reliable brand/types. That said, this furnace is probably early '80's if not even earlier. Certainly due to be replaced asap!

If they are destitute and HX is intact, retrofit a standing pilot valve.....

5. Likes DavidDeBord liked this post
    Post Likes
    That's not an HSI system. That's a intermittent ignition system via spark.

That said, that's a pretty poor excuse for heat. That guy should have his crotch kicked for putting his family in danger like that.

Post Likes
    is this a rental?

Post Likes
    This happened in the middle of winter and he just wanted to keep it running for the rest of winter and they were planning on replacing it before summer. I disconnected most of the wiring so it couldn't be used and told him to buy space heaters.

9. Likes DavidDeBord liked this post
    Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by HVAC_Marc View Post
    That's not an HSI system. That's a intermittent ignition system via spark.

That said, that's a pretty poor excuse for heat. That guy should have his crotch kicked for putting his family in danger like that.

That is definitely not an HSI, & a Brand/ Md.#/ Ser.# would help.

As far as the Guy's crotch? MeThinks that a Baseball Bat, repeatedly applied would be more Appropriate, .... But, the term "future stepson" leaves the door open for As long as he lites it, & she don't Blow.".

That System needs to be Condemned, & the "Future Step-father" needs his crotch beat for several years.
    Hos 4:6 My people are destroyed for lack of knowledge. Because you have rejected knowledge, I will also reject you, that you may be no priest to me. Because you have forgotten your God’s law, I will also forget your children.

"You've got to Stand for Something or You'll fall for anything" (A. Tippin)

We are on a "Man-made Highway to Hell", Our so called "Leaders", Political & Religious, are encouraging The Mushroom like Sheeple to go faster.

(AC-DC Lyrics)

Post Likes
    wow... just wow...