Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Circon BACnet?

Post Likes

Circon BACnet?

Just stumbled upon Circon's YouTube channel and was surprised to see they have BACnet controllers and software now. I was happy to see them re-enter the industry after shutting down for a couple of years as integrators had always talked highly of their LON offerings.

This is the fourth or fifth company that I know about that has made the jump from LON to offering a BACnet solution. I guess if it pays the bills and the customer/engineer request it you got to be in it to win it.

Not sure if the manual scanning of networks and points is the way forward though, having to bring points into a "database" to see values is kinda antiquated, BACnet being an auto discovery protocol and all.

Either way good to see another company being assimilated into BORGnet.

kontrol out
    "Good" - Jocko
    "Open is as open does." - Forrest Gump
    "Can't we all just get a Lon?" - Garry Jack
    "BACnet: integration or interrogation?" - The Janitor
    "Interoperability? You can't handle interoperability!" - Nathan R. Jessup
    “What’s that? Aaa… open protocols? Don’t talk about…. open protocols? Are you kidding me? Open protocols? I just hope we can hardwire an interface!” - Jim Mora Watch it here!

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by kontrolphreak View Post
    Just stumbled upon Circon's YouTube channel and was surprised to see they have BACnet controllers and software now. I was happy to see them re-enter the industry after shutting down for a couple of years as integrators had always talked highly of their LON offerings.

This is the fourth or fifth company that I know about that has made the jump from LON to offering a BACnet solution. I guess if it pays the bills and the customer/engineer request it you got to be in it to win it.

Not sure if the manual scanning of networks and points is the way forward though, having to bring points into a "database" to see values is kinda antiquated, BACnet being an auto discovery protocol and all.

Either way good to see another company being assimilated into BORGnet.

kontrol out
    The controllers seem very nice, a couple of different flavors, One is Lon and or BACnet IP.
    The modbus port is a nice add, land a modbus device or two and create the associated modbus register and put it back on the network as BACnet or lon.

And as an fyi, they were not offline for a couple of years. Just a few weeks if that. Their LNS tool is still my preferred.

Post Likes
    Huh, just a few weeks hey. Seems like it had been a couple of years since I had heard their name. Controller points are very limited, most modern controllers offer universal inputs and outputs, some are even universal points that can be either inputs or outputs. The restrictions on resistive versus voltage inputs and fixed outputs would preclude me from using them.

kontrol out
    Last edited by kontrolphreak; 05-12-2018 at 04:46 PM.
    "Good" - Jocko
    “What’s that? Aaa… open protocols? Don’t talk about…. open protocols? Are you kidding me? Open protocols? I just hope we can hardwire an interface!” - Jim Mora Watch it here!

Post Likes
    Their graphical programming tool is probably one of the better developed ones. Being able to bring Modbus in and spit out BACnet is nice.
    Pricing for the BACnet/IP controller is pretty decent and among one of the lowest I know.
    Like you said, it is good to have choices moving forward.
    and rumor has it, universal expansion is coming for the BACnet/IP controller.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by amigo View Post
    Their graphical programming tool is probably one of the better developed ones. Being able to bring Modbus in and spit out BACnet is nice.
    Pricing for the BACnet/IP controller is pretty decent and among one of the lowest I know.
    Like you said, it is good to have choices moving forward.
    and rumor has it, universal expansion is coming for the BACnet/IP controller.
    I think they were using some generic modbus IO for expansion at AHR, even had a modbus touch screen for local control.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by 381engineer View Post
    I think they were using some generic modbus IO for expansion at AHR, even had a modbus touch screen for local control.
    I don't think the rumored universal i/o is third party but never know, guess we'll see when/if it rolls out

Post Likes
    Amigo,

Shoot me a PM with pricing if you are able to. Delta has the widest range of IP controllers and some of their smaller controllers are very price competitive. In regards to Modbus, most of the BACnet vendors I have used in the past 10 years that had IP connections also had Modbus capabilities (some don't even charge extra for it).

kontrol out
    "Good" - Jocko

Post Likes
    Amigo,

Shoot me a PM with pricing if you are able to. Delta has the widest range of IP controllers and some of their smaller controllers are very price competitive. In regards to Modbus, most of the BACnet vendors I have used in the past 10 years that had IP connections also had Modbus capabilities (some don't even charge extra for it).

kontrol out
    Yeah, I hear you.
    Delta controllers are pretty nice. Reliable has a fair amount of bugs in there that can lead to frustration.
    With Circon when you buy the BACnet controller, one fully licensed software comes with it free of charge. Although it is mainly a programming software for circon controllers, it has some decent BACnet explorer features which is a bonus
    And Modbus has always been free with Circon as far as I know, not too sure which company actually charges for Modbus driver?

I will shoot you an email in the next day or two.

cheers

Post Likes
    Well you used to have to flash Delta controllers for Modbus using a "credit" key and "credits" cost $. ALC was points based, if you wanted more than 25 (which was standard with a LGR25) you had to buy a LGR250 or a LGR1000 for either 250 or 1000 points. Now the have an Equipment-Portal that I think has 100 points but can only connect to one third party device (one for one ALC to third party - want to intergrate no problem just buy one of our controllers to each of theirs you want to bring in). Alerton required a separate gateway controller. There are a tonne of Modbus to whatever flavor protocol you want gateways on the open market.

AE
    "Good" - Jocko

Post Likes
    Looks like they are available over-the-counter on the uberwebz, pricing looks decent as well for all the capabilities and features of a BACnet IP controller.

https://engenuity.com/programmable-c...r-10-0520.html

I do not see it on the BTL website yet.

kontrol out
    "Good" - Jocko

Post Likes
    I do not see it on the BTL website yet.
    Beta testers wanted.

UL mark is hiding as well.

Deeper look its CSA
    http://www.circon.com/wp-content/upl...-Datasheet.pdf
    Last edited by orion242; 08-02-2018 at 08:14 PM.
    Propagating the formula. http://www.noagendashow.com/

Post Likes
    Pretty weak onboard IO. The leading edge controllers have true universal IO, Circon seems to be stuck in the past / LON world of dedicated IO and the analog points are lacking on both in and out. Probably why the price point is where it is at.

kontrol out
    "Good" - Jocko

Post Likes
    The leading edge controllers have true universal IO
    Most developed in the last decade have universal inputs at a minimum. Hate fixed type controllers. Always just need one more x type input it seems. The programming tool looks decent though.

Does it have a live view and can you edit/override things on the fly?
    Propagating the formula. http://www.noagendashow.com/

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast