+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: AX Using USB Lon on 64 bit computer. What ru doing?

Post Likes

AX Using USB Lon on 64 bit computer. What ru doing?

I want to program a stand alone Lon Spyder with my AX. My laptop is 64 bit and I get platLon:LonPlatformService error. My research indicates I need to install a 32 bit AX which will require a license change. Is this true? What functional differences are in the 32 bit version and 64? How can I have two different licenses (my other versions of AX) on one machine?

Post Likes
    They have different Host ID's. I have 32 bit and 64 bit on mine.

The lon adapters as I recall do not have a working 64 bit driver and it is not able to be selected in Niagara.

Post Likes
    I have a 64 Bit Windows laptop, but have always installed the 32 bit version of any Workbench. I've never had any issues/limitations and the USB Lon Adapter works fine.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by PlatinumRH View Post
    I have a 64 Bit Windows laptop, but have always installed the 32 bit version of any Workbench. I've never had any issues/limitations and the USB Lon Adapter works fine.
    I do this exact same thing as well.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by controlgeek View Post
    They have different Host ID's. I have 32 bit and 64 bit on mine.The lon adapters as I recall do not have a working 64 bit driver and it is not able to be selected in Niagara.
    So you installed both versions? How do you start different versions? Did you do this so you could use Lon on the 32 bit one? Why would you get 2 licenses and not just use the 32 bit version?

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by BillyJoeJimBob View Post
    So you installed both versions? How do you start different versions? Did you do this so you could use Lon on the 32 bit one? Why would you get 2 licenses and not just use the 32 bit version?

I started with 64 bit and then found out the lon adapter issue so I installed 32 bit. I installed 32 bit in a different folder structure so it will start on its own.

Post Likes
    Did that require a license change?

Post Likes
    32 and 64bit installs will generate different hostIDs.

Quote Originally Posted by BillyJoeJimBob View Post
    Did that require a license change?
    Sure will. Its two separate copies with their own IDs and licenses.
    Propagating the formula. http://www.noagendashow.com/

Post Likes
    I've got beaucoup 64 bit versions on this laptop. Should I start installing 32 bit on my new laptop? Any downside? What about N4? How does that licensing work with AX?

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by orion242 View Post
    32 and 64bit installs will generate different hostIDs.

Sure will. Its two separate copies with their own IDs and licenses.
    Tridium licensing never fails to amaze me.

11. Likes ems4ty liked this post.
    Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by MaxBurn View Post
    They can license you saying that if they wanted

<feature name="socialMedia" post.count = "none" mention = "none" share = "none" comment = "none" takeThyNameInVain = "hellno"/>

13. Likes VAEngineer liked this post.
    Post Likes
    So, let me understand this.

If I have 64 bit Windows installed and I install 32 bit AX or N4 flavour then the USB Lon interface is going to work.
    If I install any 64 bit flavour of AX or N4 then regardless of what Win Op system (64 or 32 bit) the USB Lon interface is not going to play ball with Tridium.

If thats righ then is this not an issue with Tridium and not Echelon?
    I have recently got a new 64 bit Win7 laptop and downloaded the Open LDV v5.0 driver from Echelon and that will see my U10 USB interface. So surely the driver is available, is it just that Tridium have not done the programming to enable the 64 bit version of their software to connect to the interface.

Am I wrong? or missed something?

Post Likes
    64bit workbech does not support the lon adapter, use 32 if you need it. This is noted in docLon. Given the popularity of lon these days, it not a huge surprise that they are not investing any time to bring support for it in the 64bit world.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by MaxBurn View Post
    if they can milk it, they will.
    I guess if I was responsible for the profit numbers, I would do the same.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by amigo View Post
    if they can milk it, they will.
    I guess if I was responsible for the profit numbers, I would do the same.
    I've heard tboxes now ship in a 5 gallon Home Depot bucket (gotta love that orange) with a short stool for the milking.

kontrol out
    "Good" - Jocko
    "Open is as open does." - Forrest Gump
    "Can't we all just get a Lon?" - Garry Jack
    "BACnet: integration or interrogation?" - The Janitor
    "Interoperability? You can't handle interoperability!" - Nathan R. Jessup
    “What’s that? Aaa… open protocols? Don’t talk about…. open protocols? Are you kidding me? Open protocols? I just hope we can hardwire an interface!” - Jim Mora Watch it here!

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by Keith D View Post
    Am I wrong? or missed something?
    I can use other software and program through my USB-Lon to controllers but when I run a niagara station in 64 bit it won't work. Are you able to run a station and discover a lon device?

Post Likes
    If anyone is interested, I just tested N4.9 with a USB-LON Stick. It works! N4.9 is only available in 64-bit.

Post Likes
    Good to know, thanks.

Post Likes
    Were just facing this also. I have all 32bit Niagara loaded on my 64bit machine to be able to use the lon stick. We've heard it works with 4.9 and looks like cljohnson has confirmed that .But what to do with a machine with multiple vendors and many versions installed in AX and N4 at using 32bit? Once 64 bit is installed a new host ID is generated, and you have a car bomb! I have HW, Distech, and JCI all loaded and we can play the 32bit and 64bit license swap around with our supplier until each yearly renew. What a damn mess!! So you load 64bit versions and use 4.9 with the lon stick, and every version prior is tossed in the trash? What a pile of pooh!

Post Likes
    Install the 64bit versions, get the new host id, have your distributor license you for the 64bit version. The license you have for the 32bit version will still be valid until its expiration date along with the new 64bit license. Some what of a PIA but only needs to be done once a year, there should be no charge to do this, if so find another distributor.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in