+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Fieldpiece smartprobes

Post Likes

Fieldpiece smartprobes

I ve heard guys complained about fieldpiece app if the take a call on their phone and go back to the app you have to reinput all info has this been fixed yet

Post Likes
    I use it, and I can't ever remember taking a call while using it, I'll have to give it a try tomorrow. Everything works pretty well. It drops and picks up probes now and then, but never gets really wonky, at least not yet. It's cool having everything right in front of you and is much quicker than setting up the iman. So far, I'm impressed with them and they do keep getting better. Nothing I've used yet will give accurate temps as fast as the clamps will, and accuracy of all the probes is top notch.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by Robert norton View Post
    I ve heard guys complained about fieldpiece app if the take a call on their phone and go back to the app you have to reinput all info has this been fixed yet
    I have used mine a few times and found this to be the case, pretty annoying,, you cannot talk on the phone and see your readings at the same time. I have 2 cell phones so I downloaded it on both phones and use the app on my personal phone while keeping my work phone free for calls and mobile service tickets

'The more you know, the more you realize you don't know'

Post Likes
    But it need WiFi to operate correct

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by Robert norton View Post
    But it need WiFi to operate correct
    It is Bluetooth (or something) to your phone with no Wi-Fi needed

Post Likes
    I think he means the app needs a data connection (wifi or cell) to open after that it's just a blutooth connection to the phone.
    So a old phone would only work if it was connected to a hotspot on the other phone or on wifi.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by itsiceman View Post
    I think he means the app needs a data connection (wifi or cell) to open after that it's just a blutooth connection to the phone.
    So a old phone would only work if it was connected to a hotspot on the other phone or on wifi.
    I didn't but good to know I had heard this before but forgot. I have used a few times so far and was connected to cell

Post Likes
    I was thinking of getting a refurbished iPod touch to use with the probes and keep my phone free for calls and such. Are you saying the probes won't work with a dedicated device that isn't connected to WiFi or cellular?

Post Likes
    That's the way it used to work. Not sure if they made a change to the app or not.

Post Likes
    Hey guys, I called fieldpiece and this is what they told me. I asked only about Apple products, must be at least iOS 8 and Bluetooth 4.0. iPhones 4s and above will work. You do not need WiFi or a cellular signal to take measurements and readings.

Post Likes
    Well I hope that's true. The last time I checked you had to have data connection to open and start the app.. After that you did not need data other than to save to the cloud etc.. I talked to GO about this, they didn't give any indication one way or the other whether it would be changed. I made it clear that this is a glaring fault. But,, I also know it's done to sell the program. I dunno it's crazy. However the app is good and improving and I saw an update a day or so ago so they're working on it.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by channellxbob View Post
    Well I hope that's true. The last time I checked you had to have data connection to open and start the app.. After that you did not need data other than to save to the cloud etc.. I talked to GO about this, they didn't give any indication one way or the other whether it would be changed. I made it clear that this is a glaring fault. But,, I also know it's done to sell the program. I dunno it's crazy. However the app is good and improving and I saw an update a day or so ago so they're working on it.
    This is Android Version 2.1.3 of the Fieldpiece App with no data connection.

Name:  Screenshot_20180514-112218-480x853.png
Views: 410
Size:  19.6 KB
    “If You Can Dodge A Wrench You Can Dodge A Ball”

Post Likes
    I used my wife's old iPhone 6 turned off celluar and had no wifi and it worked both times I used it today.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by 11crv View Post
    I used my wife's old iPhone 6 turned off celluar and had no wifi and it worked both times I used it today.
    Was the app open in the background when turned off the data?

Post Likes
    I'll try again tomorrow. The app crashed and after deleting I couldn't download again because I DIDNT HAVE WIFI OR CELLURA DATA!

Post Likes
    One thing I've noticed on my set on two systems is it got a diagnosis wrong. Not a big deal to me, but a less experienced tech might get sidetracked.

Both units had a bad TXV. I had high superheat and high subcooling. Pressures were a little on the low side. Low temp split across evap. The diagnostics said unit is overcharged and to remove refrigerant until subcooling is at target. Maybe if I did that step and got my SC to in range it would have then told me there is a problem with the TXV.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by Brian8383 View Post
    One thing I've noticed on my set on two systems is it got a diagnosis wrong. Not a big deal to me, but a less experienced tech might get sidetracked.

Both units had a bad TXV. I had high superheat and high subcooling. Pressures were a little on the low side. Low temp split across evap. The diagnostics said unit is overcharged and to remove refrigerant until subcooling is at target. Maybe if I did that step and got my SC to in range it would have then told me there is a problem with the TXV.
    As a newer tech, i see where you are coming from. Biggest issue would be relying too much on the diagnosis. an overcharge would mean the unit would have higher pressure and a low SH. Probably why most people on here will recommend starting with analogs. If you dont understand the numbers, how can you diagnose it?

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in