Post Likes

Still Trying To Connect

I'm new to this forum stuff and what it takes to become pro certified. can I give you my HVAC contractor licenses number. That would be easier and less painful

Post Likes
    Trust me if I can do this, you do this I'm as much a dinosaur as anyone. Getting the 15 technical posts should be relatively easy & painless. Have you had a problem machine you'd like to talk or ask an opinion about in the last week. Filling out the form for pro statusreally takes a couple minutes

Good luck and come join the pro side

Post Likes

Calilation for Return Air Filter Grill

What is the correct way to measure based on per ton/cfms.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by tegriffith View Post
    I'm new to this forum stuff and what it takes to become pro certified. can I give you my HVAC contractor licenses number. That would be easier and less painful
    http://hvac-talk.com/vbb/showthread....nal-Membership

how to become a pro rated member on this site ^^^

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by tegriffith View Post
    What is the correct way to measure based on per ton/cfms.
    Measure what?
    Contractor locator map

How-to-apply-for-Professional

How many times must one fix something before it is fixed?

Post Likes
    There are several ways, but primarily: Do the math or use a software program.

Before I go on, one of the first things to learn about this site is in the open general forum(s) you really don't want to give very specific step by step advise, not because you don't want to share but because you don't want someone who is not quite as skilled or trained to damage equipment or hurt themselves & family. And we don't talk about exact pricing. This site is not a do it yourself site it is here for professionals to share and ask questions of other professionals.

In very simple terms, back in the day I'd calculate the load and figure out the equipment I needed for the house. I'd figure out what I needed for air flow in each room and make sure I have enough blower fan for the design. Then I'd figure out what my friction loss rate, using manufacturers fan data and the total length of the ducts. Once I had the total CFM and the friction loss rate, I'd grab my handy / dandy ductulator and figure out my duct sizing.

Anymore I cheat and use a software program. I've seen software programs that will do residential and comercial for not a lot of money in the scheme of things.

Maybe not the correct way; but by experience after installing a number of units you can get to the point you can say: Yep that unit in this house needs a 20 x 14 return grill . The times I've used experience I will typically go back and calculate the size before I get it installed

Post Likes
    Tegriffith, you're located near me! It's very easy to become a pro member here. You can join discussions that are currently underway, if you like. Share your opinions and experiences. Ask questions, maybe for clarification. Check out the link that HVAC_Marc provided. It has the requirements, and how to go about it. Proving you're a "Pro" is more about proving you make a living at it than proving you're some kind of expert. So don't be intimidated, or overthink it, lol.

And Welcome!

Post Likes
    Dont worry! Im one of the guys looking at your documents.

Post Likes
    400 cfm per ton
    3 ton system = 1200 cfm
    1200 divided by 2 = 600 sq. in. of filter back return grill

Post Likes
    400 cfm per ton
    3 ton system = 1200 cfm
    1200 divided by 2 = 600 sq. in. of filter back return grill
    That's rule of thumb, I agree rule of thumb guidelines do have some basis in real fact, and many times work OK, but are not always correct. What if you don't have that much room can it be smaller? By how much before you have a noise or performance issue