Post Likes

Removing JACE from site

I've got a site with an existing JACE that's no longer going to be used by the customer (they've standardized on another frontend system). They would like it removed.

I'm not an expert on JACEs and I'd like to confirm it's not writing or transferring any important commands between controllers on site. Where would I check in the UI for this? If there is anything that it's doing it can be moved over to the new system.

Post Likes
    Wireshark if it is using the BACnet protocol.

kontrol out
    "Good" - Jocko
    "Open is as open does." - Forrest Gump
    "Can't we all just get a Lon?" - Garry Jack
    "BACnet: integration or interrogation?" - The Janitor
    "Interoperability? You can't handle interoperability!" - Nathan R. Jessup
    “What’s that? Aaa… open protocols? Don’t talk about…. open protocols? Are you kidding me? Open protocols? I just hope we can hardwire an interface!” - Jim Mora Watch it here!

Post Likes
    You would have to look at which points under each device is writable and then look if anything is linked to those points.

In the points folder under the device and then either the wiresheet or right click on the point and look at the link/relation view for anything. Could be tedious depending on what you have at hand. If your accessing with just the browser, they may not have embedded workbench which you will likely need. Wireshark for bacnet would sort out any thing that's being written to pretty quick. Once you find something dig up that device and look a the points for links.
    Propagating the formula. http://www.noagendashow.com/

Post Likes
    This may sound a bit facetious but it's been a useful trick once or twice:

If there's nothing life critical (which there shouldn't be on a BMS system anyway imo) or genuinely critical otherwise, like a manufacturing process, clean room, etc. involved - just turn off the JACE & wait to hear who screams. While you're doing that, have a look around the front end for any points that have suddenly gone offline.

5. Likes rjk_cmh, MaxBurn, BALloyd liked this post
    Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by FreezerGeezer View Post
    This may sound a bit facetious but it's been a useful trick once or twice:

If there's nothing life critical (which there shouldn't be on a BMS system anyway imo) or genuinely critical otherwise, like a manufacturing process, clean room, etc. involved - just turn off the JACE & wait to hear who screams. While you're doing that, have a look around the front end for any points that have suddenly gone offline.
    I was thinking the exact same thing, hold my beer and let's see what happens. Give it a good week or two and don't start on a Friday.
    Scott Jalbert, WebCTRL ninja, Naiagara AX and Smartstruxure newb, SiteScan Retired

The master has failed more times than the beginner has even tried

Post Likes
    And hope you have final payment before the season changes and they figure out it was all heating logic.

8. Likes FreezerGeezer, stanbyyourword liked this post
    Post Likes
    LOL!

Post Likes
    But in all seriousness why exactly does it have to be removed? Might be damn handy to have it.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by MaxBurn View Post
    But in all seriousness why exactly does it have to be removed? Might be damn handy to have it.
    Mostly just because it won't be used and we don't want multiple systems polling all the points slowing down the MS/TP networks for no reason. Also if there's existing sequences in it they may conflict with new sequences being added as part of some renovation projects.

Post Likes
    I would leave it lie, and just disable the driver network port for now. That way if the crap hits the fan, its a few clicks to put back. After a full season, put it in the trash or ebay it.

Ideally, you want to at least poke around and see if its has any logic. Don't discount some fool doing full time control or smoke/freeze/safety shutdown in a jace. It certainly happens. Assuming you know the niagara, a couple hours worst case should give a good idea if it is or isn't doing much.