Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Installing a heat strip at a beach house.

Post Likes
    FINISHED!!! COMPLETE!!! AND IT WORKS!!!

I'm sorry again for this not being a fully appropriate thread, but today I wired the heat strip in so I could test it, using a smartphone to turn the heat on and off, so a) I wouldn't be cutting into the air handler duct prematurely, and b) could see the coils heating up. Worked perfectly, now that I have the new Wi-Fi 'stat and 'stat wire in place.

The strip had a bracket to be used in other applications, but not here, that needed to be removed, and other than the pre-drilled holes around the knockouts not being ideally located, it went in without a hitch--just had to drill some new holes and use self-tapping screws. The biggest problem (but not much of one) was the knockouts for the cutoff breaker were the wrong size and in the wrong place, so I simply had to cut a hole of the right size in the right location for it.

I didn't like how much the on-board stock contacter on the strip hummed, so I replaced it with a much quieter one and will keep it as a spare. (Never throw ANYTHING away down here you might need unless it's totally fried!).

I tested it again when everything was in its permenant place and it started putting out heat immediately--but since it's awfully hot here, not for long! But when we are here over the winter holidays and we get those rare days when it's chilly in the house, this should provide just the whiff of heat we need.

The once-jury-rigged wiring is un-rigged and running properly and logically. Unnecessary wiring is removed, and the Compressor/condenser, the air-handler, and the heat strip are all independently powered each with their own contacter, activated as appropriate by the new thermostat.

Thanks for the advice, ideas, jokes and "invitations" to come visit, help, and drink up all my liquor!
    Last edited by AbacoBound; 07-19-2018 at 02:57 PM. Reason: grammatical error

2. Likes HVAC_Marc liked this post.
    Post Likes
    Just an update: We were down over the Xmas holiday and we had some chilly nights at first--in the mid-50's...the new heat strip worked perfectly!

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in