Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Post Likes
    Scott,
    make sure you migrate your career into senior management positions, sales, and managing the business of controls.
    The business model being pushed for controls companies today is to have a company staffed with good smelling sales people, "skill-less" project managers, a trainer, a few troubleshooters, a few service techs, and sub contract out almost anything that requires a skilled / expensive / hard to hire / experienced controls engineer or programmer.
    I am not kidding, as I was actually warned by a retired senior regional manager for one of the control companies you work with, that any of their control distributors that still want to follow the old school "we do it all in house" business model will get their distributorship yanked, and their territory handed over to a new factory branch office. How's that for "business partners" relationship development skills.
    "We are what we repeatedly do. Excellence, then, is not an act, but a habit" Aristotle

Remember to "Pay it Forward"; help out the newer generation of techs, remember someone during our career helped us! ("Pay it Forward" was by someone smarter than me!!)

Post Likes
    Hey be nice! I am so proud to be an official member of the new world order of "glorified confrigurators"! And you get 10 points for just coming up with that job title.
    "We are what we repeatedly do. Excellence, then, is not an act, but a habit" Aristotle

Remember to "Pay it Forward"; help out the newer generation of techs, remember someone during our career helped us! ("Pay it Forward" was by someone smarter than me!!)

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by dracula View Post
    These AI derived DDC systems
    So what about it is AI? Sounds little different than HVACpro that would do similar a two decades ago. I was also told Siemens at one point had an estimating tool that would create wiring diagrams, boms, etc. Nothing too different than what many do already with prebuilt libraries. Rarely do I find I'm not tweaking things per building and these never cover the central plant or any special cases.

Does it take feedback on how the project turned out and adjust its designs on the next one? Does it measure building performance and generate upgrades for future sales? What does the all mighty intelligence do exactly?
    Propagating the formula. http://www.noagendashow.com/

Post Likes
    Can you just feed it project docs in PDF format and it poops out an engineered job?

Can it flag screwed up project design and flag me to follow up?

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by dracula View Post
    Times are a changing
    Don't want to work you up any more...

There are also big guys that have setup offshore engineering services that they sell to owners. They will bring in boots on the ground if need be and at low costs. Dealt with this first hand and they have a massive number of bodies. It really pains me that Trump might put a squeeze on H1Bs. You get what you pay for.

There are tons of small shops across the US that are sitting out on the race to the bottom. Life is too short to work in a constant nightmare...look around.

Post Likes
    Isn't Nest supposed to be "AI" based? We all know how well THAT works... lol

Post Likes
    Drac,

A couple of weeks ago I worked with one of the mechanical contractors you do large custom home projects with at a college in SoCal, can't remember their name right now but told them to say hi next time they see you. The best term I had heard in the last dozen years was yours of not a "controls integrator" but a "controls infiltrator" I love that one.

kontrol out
    Last edited by kontrolphreak; 05-11-2018 at 10:22 PM.
    "Good" - Jocko
    "Open is as open does." - Forrest Gump
    "Can't we all just get a Lon?" - Garry Jack
    "BACnet: integration or interrogation?" - The Janitor
    "Interoperability? You can't handle interoperability!" - Nathan R. Jessup
    “What’s that? Aaa… open protocols? Don’t talk about…. open protocols? Are you kidding me? Open protocols? I just hope we can hardwire an interface!” - Jim Mora Watch it here!

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by Jouzer View Post
    Hello, I finally stumbled upon a forum of my industry and wanted to ask you this question.

What we are looking for is:
    - Ability to show graphics in a panel on site, without access to internet
    - Cloud service that utilizes as much as possible the information available from the controller (no drawing graphics twice)
    - Bonus is if it's also possible to make a direct connection with a browser to the DDC
    - Free programming

In the age of HTML5, you'd think this is a high standard many would seek to offer but I know only of one, and it's implementation is pretty poor. We've been doing some PLC stuff now but obviously it's very difficult to optimize PLC programming so efficiently that it's cost-effective.

If you'd like to showcase some great products in the big world, I'd like to hear!
    Thanks
    Getting back to the original topic, how would you like to add in an interface from a controller into the IoT world directly instead of needing a middleware box? If you like that idea let me know.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by BetterDuck View Post
    Getting back to the original topic, how would you like to add in an interface from a controller into the IoT world directly instead of needing a middleware box? If you like that idea let me know.
    Take a look at the OP's profile. Joined on the 4th, made one post and hasn't been back since. Obviously not interested in the discussion or is possibly following the discussion under a different name.
    UA LU 562

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by DaveCR View Post
    Take a look at the OP's profile. Joined on the 4th, made one post and hasn't been back since. Obviously not interested in the discussion or is possibly following the discussion under a different name.
    Are you insinuating an undercover shill with the sole purpose to drum up a phony discussion in order to drive it to one product? Shocked I say, shocked...

...and that thought crossed my mind when I first saw it as well...

Post Likes
    Not saying you can't spoof IP addresses but his was from a Nordic country that shares a border with a bear of a country.

kontrol out
    "Good" - Jocko
    "Open is as open does." - Forrest Gump
    "Can't we all just get a Lon?" - Garry Jack
    "BACnet: integration or interrogation?" - The Janitor
    "Interoperability? You can't handle interoperability!" - Nathan R. Jessup
    “What’s that? Aaa… open protocols? Don’t talk about…. open protocols? Are you kidding me? Open protocols? I just hope we can hardwire an interface!” - Jim Mora Watch it here!

Post Likes
    Maybe its just a Spyder programmer with dreams of a better tomorrow.

Post Likes
    The original post read like they were about to try to sell me something....

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast