Post Likes

Cooling tower for cement factory

This is my latest project, just finished a few weeks ago. It's a cooling tower for a cement factory in La Union in the Philippines.
    It is built of 4 units with 10ft fans. The special part is that the fans are not driven by electric motors, but by water turbines powered by water pressure from the circulation pump.

The pumps are powered by Variable Frequency Drive, controlled by the CWT. This always gives an optimised performance matching the demand. So when there is less cooling demand we save energy.

Later this year we will build a similar installation for another cement factory in Davao, South Philippines.

2. Likes rjk_cmh, VTP99 liked this post
    Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by mariner59 View Post
    This is my latest project, just finished a few weeks ago. It's a cooling tower for a cement factory in La Union in the Philippines.
    It is built of 4 units with 10ft fans. The special part is that the fans are not driven by electric motors, but by water turbines powered by water pressure from the circulation pump.

The pumps are powered by Variable Frequency Drive, controlled by the CWT. This always gives an optimised performance matching the demand. So when there is less cooling demand we save energy.

Later this year we will build a similar installation for another cement factory in Davao, South Philippines.
    How do you ensure that the turbine curve follows the pump flow curve properly? I assume they don't match up and you need some flow control valves somewhere? Minimum/maximum flow on the chiller might be too low or too high on the turbine speed, I would assume, unless there is some way to balance all the components.

4. Likes mariner59 liked this post
    Post Likes
    That is a good question. The turbine part is actually a little Pelton wheel. We are only looking at the part from 50% of nominal pump speed to 100%. What we want to achieve is that the fan volume follows the pump volume in a more or less linear way. We achieve that by a combination of pump head, nozzle type, number of fan blades, and pitch.
    We actually don't use this type of cooling tower very much in HVAC, but rather in industrial cooling.

6. Likes rjk_cmh liked this post
    Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by mariner59 View Post
    That is a good question. The turbine part is actually a little Pelton wheel. We are only looking at the part from 50% of nominal pump speed to 100%. What we want to achieve is that the fan volume follows the pump volume in a more or less linear way. We achieve that by a combination of pump head, nozzle type, number of fan blades, and pitch.
    We actually don't use this type of cooling tower very much in HVAC, but rather in industrial cooling.
    Sounds awesome, a lot of engineering to make it work in a linear fashion I would assume. Nice looking project.

8. Likes mariner59 liked this post
    Post Likes
    can anyone spell M-U-D?

Cement dust and water.... Will keep a maintenance guy busy!

10. Likes mariner59, ga-hvac-tech, buttwheat liked this post
    Post Likes
    You got THAT right. On top of that the plant is right next to the beach, so there is always wind. And the makeup water is slightly brackish.

Post Likes
    Did you ask them if they know where Jimmy Hoffa is?

13. Likes ga-hvac-tech, mariner59 liked this post
    Post Likes
    Yeah, but they don't have a clue. But I still have a few more cement factories to go.