+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Mitsu R-2 gone wrong

Post Likes

Mitsu R-2 gone wrong

Started this prior to the great crash of '18.
    I was called out to some CEO's house to work on a non operable 10 ton R-2 system that was installed in late '13. We were the 3rd company to touch the system. The first couldn't properly make a flare or torque them let alone weld. So UV dye and leak Stop went in. The second company changed 2 coils in early '17 and for some reason closed the suction line and left it closed. It ran in bypass for a year.
    Enter us. We removed the charge and redid the DSB file for charge. With leaks and a year since previously touched I pulled out an additional 20 lbs. Roughly 1,000 cubic feet of nitrogen went through the system flushing out the lines. I put my hose into a bucket of water to catch all that left the system. Carbon flakes(no nitro) and what looked like little nats in the watet(what I can only assume was the leak stop). I voiced my concern to my boss the owner and our local mitsu service tech. We were reassured these compressors never burn out. It's always a mechanical failure... 5 weeks later, burn out.
    The compressor blew a terminal out. The original supplier agrees to give us a new compressor under warranty.
    Now to today's events...
    I get one of mitsu's guru's on the phone. He expresses deep concern that the minimum may not be enough. He is pushing to have the entire OD unit as well as the BC replaced. He also suggested(highly) that we put in a suction line filter.
    There was way more to the day but I figure I've gone on long enough
    Tangent over...

The 2nd is there to protect the 1st. DTOM

Post Likes
    Apparently my other pics went bye bye.

Post Likes
    That looks pretty bad. Probably need suction and liquid filters replaced regularly for a little while. I’d be concerned that all of that crap is never gonna get filtered out.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by Red Man View Post
    That looks pretty bad. Probably need suction and liquid filters replaced regularly for a little while. I’d be concerned that all of that crap is never gonna get filtered out.
    Mitsu's concern as well.

Post Likes
    Lots of screens in the system also

6. Likes Zamoramax liked this post.
    Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by knave View Post
    Lots of screens in the system also
    Yeah... the only thing you can do is cut them out if they are plugged, and pray that your cleanup efforts will be sufficient until the end of time with no more screens. It sucks to see such an expensive and awesome system hacked so badly by idiots.

8. Likes Zamoramax liked this post.
    Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by rjk_cmh View Post
    Yeah... the only thing you can do is cut them out if they are plugged, and pray that your cleanup efforts will be sufficient until the end of time with no more screens. It sucks to see such an expensive and awesome system hacked so badly by idiots.
    Agreed. I was apologising on behalf of mitsu and reiterating that it was the original installer. Technically it was both first and second company's fault but the first closed up shop just after the check cleared.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by Zamoramax View Post
    Agreed. I was apologising on behalf of mitsu and reiterating that it was the original installer. Technically it was both first and second company's fault but the first closed up shop just after the check cleared.

Were they a dealer or did the guy buy online and got the guy to hack it in?

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by theoldscroll View Post
    Were they a dealer or did the guy buy online and got the guy to hack it in?
    They were a dealer. This guys got money but you still feel bad 250k later and the entire condenser is now being replaced entirely.

Post Likes
    Just revisiting this thread it is still operational and showing no signs of issues other than the breaker for the B.C. was bad about 3 months ago.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

Post Likes
    That's some rough looking oil.
    Did you throw some ball valves on the driers? Easy to pull cores after that kind of mess.

14. Likes Zamoramax liked this post.
    Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by hvacvegas View Post
    That's some rough looking oil.
    Did you throw some ball valves on the driers? Easy to pull cores after that kind of mess.
    Yeah. Im 2 phones past since I did the work so pics are gone... but there were 3 valves. I personally never got to change the cores but my boss says he did it 3 times and by the 3 time he said it was no longer needed... that was such a fun time. smh. Sooo many problems with every AHU.

Post Likes
    Wow.....leak seal in a mini split system....and an expensive one at that...good save. Don't know i would have much faith that all the head units would have been screwed up.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk
    "This Story Is True, Only The Facts Were Changed"

"It's Not Black vs White, Left vs Right, Mask vs No Mask! Its Us vs Them! Stop Letting Them Divide Us And Take Our Control!"

"Is This Your Opinion Or Experience?"

Post Likes
    I didn't and had zero faith. When we first got it operational I told them it may only live for a couple hours a few months maybe years. But if it dies here is the problems.... once it burned out and we told them It was exactly what I said happened they believed everything I said. Problem was it was still under warranty and they wanted everything replaced but the problem was the install. So mitsu offered a condenser at discount and reassured them all will be fine or they will take care of it. So far all is well.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by jacob-k View Post
    Wow.....leak seal in a mini split system....and an expensive one at that...good save. Don't know i would have much faith that all the head units would have been screwed up.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk
    I've got a building where mode exchange boxes aka branch boxes are exploding from it. So many eevs to plug.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by hvacvegas View Post
    I've got a building where mode exchange boxes aka branch boxes are exploding from it. So many eevs to plug.
    Ouch. Just amazes me that people can't follow directions.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by Zamoramax View Post

Are safety pans not installed under air handler units in your area? No secondary drain?

21. Likes Zamoramax liked this post.
    Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by theoldscroll View Post
    Are safety pans not installed under air handler units in your area? No secondary drain?
    They are. They set the 6 pefy models directly on the deck as well.

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in