Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Likes

Confused One of two Jaces is suddenly refusing connections suddenly on Niagra 3.8x.

Edit: Nigra AX version 3.8.38

I can ping the device from the local server, and the other Jace connects just fine. I've tried cycling power, restarting the system, rebooting the local server, etc. The stack trace shows a "failed flush," which I understand is a scheduled cleanup of old backup files on the Jace, and at times it fails and the Jace freezes up. I'm not at all sure if that's what is happening here, but if it is, I have read that the way to fix it is to delete some of the older backups to free up space. I see the backups for the other Jace in the Nav window underneath the station, but obviously I can't get to the station for the first Jace without connecting to it. How else is it done?

This is my second time looking at a honeywell system, so I'm not sure what else to check. Any help troubleshooting the Jace and/or navigating the Niagra system would be very much appreciated. Thanks.
    Last edited by Mikemikemike; 04-24-2018 at 01:04 PM. Reason: Niagra version

Post Likes
    Update: Solved

I found a youtube video that showed how to delete the backup files through the File Transfer Client (under the platform node). The dataRecovery folder had more than 80 files, and once I deleted all but the 4 most recent, then rebooted the Jace using the Application Director (also under the platform node), the Fox station came up and I was able to see the rest of the site. Whew.

Post Likes
    Its going to do it again if you don't rectify core issue.

Post Likes
    The core issue, I assume, is that the Jace failed to clear its own recovery folder? I have read of some people disabling the backup process (and the smart ones using a battery backup/ups for the jace). Or do you think there is another solution besides disabling backups?

Post Likes
    JMO,
    Put a battery in the JACE, not only disable Data Recovery but delete it all together and set the auto save parameter for onboard "Backup's to save" to ZERO. AN archive in a device is totally dependent on THE DEVICE ! What doesn't add up here ?

I have had nothing but trouble with Data Recovery in 3.8 JACE's.

BTW, for what the on board battery costs you can get a pretty good UPS for the JACE itself. That is becoming my suggested solution for the 3.8 JACE 60/600/6000's (depending on whose version you are dealing with).
    If sense were so common everyone would have it !
    Stupid should Hurt !
    If people took care of their cars like they do their HVAC Systems you'd see a lot more people walking
    !

Post Likes
    Pretty much what Cagey said.

Or, set the backup for 6 hour intervals and to keep only ONE copy.
    That's what Distech suggested and it seems to work.

Post Likes
    Had a Jace 6 @ 3.8.213 today that couldn't write alarms because the data recovery faulted. Everything else in the station was working. Even more troubling was when we rebooted the Jace, none of the new active alarms that never got routed to the console or email showed up. I was told by my channel support that we probably didn't do a clean dist install before the 3.8 upgrade was installed.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by Cagey57 View Post
    for what the on board battery costs you can get a pretty good UPS for the JACE itself.
    UPS for $25?

UPS is a turd compared to the internal battery IMO. With the battery the Jace knows its on backup power and should save before it runs flat. UPS, sure it covers short outages. Once its flat, the jace dumps out without any chance to save leaving in the same boat as without the battery.
    Propagating the formula. http://www.noagendashow.com/

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by orion242 View Post
    UPS for $25?

UPS is a turd compared to the internal battery IMO. With the battery the Jace knows its on backup power and should save before it runs flat. UPS, sure it covers short outages. Once its flat, the jace dumps out without any chance to save leaving in the same boat as without the battery.
    I do agree with Orion242 (about the internal battery). BTW Orion, wherever your getting battery packs for 25 bucks I want the contact info. Our cost is almost 3 times that .

APC has a BackUPS for under 50 buck and, if I did the math right, should run a JACE 60/600 for over 5 hours.
    If sense were so common everyone would have it !
    Stupid should Hurt !
    If people took care of their cars like they do their HVAC Systems you'd see a lot more people walking
    !

Post Likes
    I put UPSs on all Jaces no matter what. Dont buy the cheapest UPS. For another $100 you can actually get one that wont die in 2 years. Its good insurance considering what most of our hourly rates are.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by Cagey57 View Post
    JMO,
    Put a battery in the JACE, not only disable Data Recovery but delete it all together and set the auto save parameter for onboard "Backup's to save" to ZERO. AN archive in a device is totally dependent on THE DEVICE ! What doesn't add up here ?

I have had nothing but trouble with Data Recovery in 3.8 JACE's.

BTW, for what the on board battery costs you can get a pretty good UPS for the JACE itself. That is becoming my suggested solution for the 3.8 JACE 60/600/6000's (depending on whose version you are dealing with).
    Where do I make these changes?

Post Likes
    Battery and UPS can't hurt. There was a small rumor going around a few years ago, don't know if it was a certain version involved, that if the jace with a battery detected a power failure and started an orderly shutdown and the power returned during time it could lock up the jace. One place with horrible brown outs had to keep power cycling their dead jaces so I suggested UPS but never been back.

Post Likes
    vs the constant issues with the memory service and how fragile it is. It itself had an issue filling the file space till crash.
    Propagating the formula. http://www.noagendashow.com/

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast