Post Likes

Confused Trane RTAE chiller running in hand

I am a HVAC Controls Contractor, I have a new system going in on 3 200 ton Trane RTAE units. The local Trane dealer was all upset that they didnt get the controls on the campus this project is on, anyhow they are telling the owner that the Chillers can NEVER run in hand, I find this hard to believe, what happens if a lightning strike burns out the Campus Controls system etc.

I guess I am looking for someone to be clarify why this would be the case, if its the case.

Post Likes
    Probably has to do with the chilled water pumps.

Post Likes
    What exactly can't run in hand? The chiller water pump? You can give a start/ stop to the chiller and have front panel control setpoint. On that chiller, pump control has to come from the chiller. 1U10 module for pump control relay contacts.

Post Likes
    More then likely the Trane shop is trying cause trouble. Happens here with us all the time. Put the doubt in the customer’s mind to screw with you. I don’t know the new Trane but it should run in local , if it can’t that is sad.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Post Likes
    RTAE-SVX001C-EN is the Trane literature you need. Between pages 36 thru 43 it describes Bac net, modbus, analog inputs using ma or dc volts. Or you can just use simple closure contacts.
    All kinds of stuff this smart machine offers. Maybe need an an optional controller but its good with other BAS
    Let us know what you end up doing please. We have a couple sites with this chiller and Trane BAS so i would like to know what you use as an alternative.

Post Likes
    Im reading the original question and Im afraid i misread the first time. You want to know if there is button or a way to push the touchscreen and go into local(hand). Is that right?
    If that is the question i have to play with it a little to see.
    Sorry for my mix up.

Post Likes

Trane RTAE chiller running in hand

I don’t really understand your question but I’ll give it a shot. If your chiller was operating under BAS controls and they were to fail. You would need to change the chiller setpoint source to front panel. The chiller would also need a start stop signal. Data centers I work at have a HOA switch wired to the start/stop input just in case they would need to start the chiller without BAS controls. Hope this helps.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    RTFM!!!

Post Likes
    the chiller is supposed to control the chilled water pumps. it uses internal algorithms to start and stop the pumps for freeze control, if the chiller doesn't control the pumps, you could be denied any warranty claims associated with freezing.

this is likely what they are talking about. If the BAS is the only thing that controls the pumps, then the chiller could be started without chilled water flow, or the chiller would lose the ability "protect" itself from barrel freeze conditions.